Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2009 8:27:46 PM EDT
(I originally posted this thread over at ElsiePeaForum.com, so don't be alarmed with some of what I share in this thread!)

I made up my mind a few months ago that the holster of choice for my own personal needs would be best served with a wallet style holster.  This sparked off a nearly two month period of research to find the best one.  Basically i narrowed it down to only two offerings, Uncle George's and the Talon Training Group.  

Okay, everyone and their mother own the Uncle George's.  I'm glad to see that as he seems to offer up a very nice piece which serves its purpose WELL!  That I only say due to the multitude of positive reviews for his product.  In essence, you can't go wrong with Uncle G's.  But for me, as well as a few others who've posted the same, there was that nagging dismay in the draw technique that is necessary be utilized with his holster.  I'm certain it poses no real issue where safety is concerned, but it's a feeling of dismay just the same.  So at this point I started to lean more toward the Talon.

But wait, from all i've been told or read online, the Talon would appear to be THICKER than the UG's.  Sure, this would afford Ms. Elsie more protection to herself, but it makes me wonder if it would ride in either my rear or even my front pocket worse than UG's.  The Talon is thicker because there are basically 3 layers of leather.  One layer on each side of Elsie and then you have the faux wallet outline piece of leather.  But without either a Talon nor an UG's on-hand or anywhere to be seen in any local gun shop, I refuse to go by everything I read and i cannot make an honest comparison between the two.  So thickness was not much of an issue at this point.

There are numerous reviews and posts about the UG.  I knew I couldn't go wrong with it.  But reviews weren't quite concrete enough for me to spend my money in this economy and during the holiday season.  I decided to hold off just a wee bit longer.  Honestly, I've been waiting and waiting for an in-depth review of the Talon.  That turned out to be synonymous with searching for a needle in a haystack.  Well, in all my time invested, research compiled and my natural tendancy to procrastinate I feel I've gathered enough information to make an informed decision on my purchase.  This led me to today's purchase of the Talon Training Group wallet holster.

Again, I'm going to do an in-depth review once the Talon arrives.  A review like this is something that would have been beneficial to me, oh, say....about TWO MONTHS AGO!  So if there are others sitting on the fence as I once was, perhaps my forthcoming review will help you make up your mind.  

You know, after I made my purchase, I emailed the seller, who goes by Charlie, and I explained how I had a hard time finding any further information other than that on their website.  He replied to let me know that they just released a new youtube video.  As fate would have it, or NOT have it since I didn't watch it until AFTER I made my purchase, this particular video would have SOLD me on the Talon at the start of my journey.  I don't think I need permission to post it since there is an embed link available on the youtube website, so here is the video Charlie directed me to.

FqQxA9jBaWg

Keep an eye out in the near future, sometime after the holiday for my review.  After two damn months, I can barely contain myself.  I should have dug deeper to see if they offer overnight delivery.  LOL.  Also, since i frequent AR-15.com, I'm going to cross-post this over there as well.  So don't you be alarmed nor be frightened by a sense of deja vu if you happen to post over there as well.

Talon Training Group

Of course the talon comes in either black or tan.  I chose the black!

(black spots came from the camera lens)
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently you and I have been doing the same thing!! But I still haven't decided yet.I might have to buy a few different ones to try them sell off the ones I don't like.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, i was going to purchase BOTH holsters and do a review, but my finances don't allow for that any longer.  even if i sent one back for a full refund.  i didn't want to mess around with that jazz.  so i mulled it over for week after week and then made a choice.   the more and more i think about it, the happier i am about my choice.  and i don't even have it in my possession just yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
okay, so i got my Talon holster in today.  i was told by my girlfriend something had come in the mail.  i told her it WASN'T my holster as there was no way it could get from florida to arizona in only 3 days, INCLUDING the new year's holiday.  it arrived via USPS in a nice envelope.  i was really pleased when i got home and quickly opened it up and started to take a few pics, but my girlfriend was "forcing" me to go to costco.  so i snapped a few pics of the packaging and then i took the Talon out of the box.  i placed Elsie in there without having a good chance to give it a once-over.  i shoved Elsie in there and then shoved both into my front pocket.  

i have been curious what it would feel like with elsie below my derriere.  so at a stoplight i switched to my back pocket.  what???  is this thing even there?  you gotta know, i have a skinny behind.  i've mentioned it in another thread here.  my worry was bone to leather.  not much cushion on my derriere.  still, this thing didn't dig into me at all.  it didn't feel uncomfortable in the least.  i'm not just saying this because it sounds good.  i'm saying this because i am actually quite surprised by this.  so in the rear pocket it remained.

once we got to costco i asked my girlfriend if my rear shows any printing of any sort.  she said that all she could see was my wallet in my back pocket.  i didn't tell her it was the Talon and Elsie.  she knows i always carry front pocket.  so she just assumed i had put my wallet in my rear pocket.  but shame on her, though.  she ought to know my wallet would never look as thin as the Talon did in my rear pocket.  i'll post pictures soon to demonstrate what i'm talking about.  anyway, i then told her that it was indeed the Talon.  she was surprised and said that if even SHE could not tell the difference, neither would a stranger, or even a person who's actively searching for others concealing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
some pics...

the Talon came in a nice cardboard box via usps priority mail.  this is Elsie, my touch pro 2 and my wallet that would make George Costanza proud!

Talon in the ziplock bag

Elsie "courting" the Talon

Elsie's protection zone

Talon stitched in the bottom corner to the wallet flap

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
back side of the Talon.  it's got a grippy surface.  i guess i'd compare the texture to some sort of tough canvas.

i used to use an old cell phone case to holster Elsie on the days i didn't just go naked altogether.  this kept elsie safe, but still printed a good amount through all my various pants.

Elsie in the safe confines of the Talon!

Talon's middle flap with Elsie inserted

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
the Talon does a good job of protecting the muzzle and the crimson trace.  i pushed Elsie down till she bottomed out in the Talon to see if the crimson trace would stick out further than the holster.  no, it does not.  it is dead-flush with the bottom of the Talon.  this offers plenty of protection in my eyes, especially since i'm used to carrying elsie without a holster of any kind.  neither Elsie nor the CT laser show any signs of wear or abuse from being kept without a holster.  of course i know that not everyone has a crimson trace, so Talon Training Group offers a Talon for those folk as well.  

the Talon measures in right at 1 1/8" or 1.125" at it's thickest point. i verified this with my dial calipers. you can squeeze it some and it'll get down almost to an inch.  in time your pockets and sitting on it will compress the leather just a bit.  but basically, 1.125" thick.  this is just fine by me.  did ya see my wallet posted earlier?  lol.

the Talon is 4 1/8" wide by 5 1/4" tall

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i have the hogue handall jr. and it adds a bit of girth to the grip of Elsie.  just as i had hoped, it balances out well as it runs parallel to the middle flap of the Talon.  (there is a gap in this pic because yours truely forgot to compress the holster to the pistol)

here's just another comparison to my "Costanza wallet".  :o :P  no, it's not a fair comparison, but my pockets will appreciate the difference.

in this pic i am actually indexing my finger along Elsie's slide.  this really IS the deciding factor for me in choosing a wallet holster, the ability to do so.

i wear loose fitting pants normally.  in this picture i actually have the same hold on Elsie as i do in the pics above.  my gripping fingers are wrapped around the grip of Elsie and my index finger is indexed to Elsie.  I am ready to draw at any second, while Elsie is completely holstered  in my pocket.  can you do this with YOUR "wallet" holster?

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
it feels pretty comfy in my front pocket.  it's thinner that the doohicky i was using as a holster before, you know, the cell phone case.  yes, the Talon is wider than my phone case, but that's to be expected.  what i can say though, is that the bulk is more evenly distributed.  with my phone case it felt like there was just one large bulge sitting atop my thigh in front pocket carry.  it was ackward to say the least.  and also with the phone case Elsie would lose th correct upright draw position as though there were no holster at all.  with the Talon, and any other good wallet or pocket holster, Elise is upright, at the ready....for when you are ready.  

one thing i can tell right off the bat is i see myself possibly using a rear pocket carry position exclusively.  it just seems to feel THAT good to me.  again, i'm a skinny lad, and i imagine those a bit heftier will appreciate back pocket carry more than myself.  there is more derriere to evenly distrubute, thus making it more pleasing than it is for even myself.

and i just realized i never even linked to the Talon Group's website.... http://www.shop.talontraininggroup.com/Wallet-Holster-Ruger-LCP-Black-With-Laser-FL30RHBK3WL.htm

$62 and $6.50 shipping (for me in the AZ) is a bit more than the competitor.  but well worth the few extra bucks.  i'm sure you won't go wrong with any wallet-style holsters, but this is the choice for me.  i made the best choice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
phwew, it'd be nice if' i'd comment on a full day's worth of carrying, right?  sheesh, sorry about that.  

well, i learned that because i'm a thinner gentleman, ANY wallet holster is going to look a bit out of place in my FRONT pocket to THOSE WHO KNOW ME and are used to seeing me.  strangers wouldn't give me a second glance.  but i didn't want to risk being asked, "what's with the new wallet?" and then have to conjure up an excuse as to what it really is.  and again, this would be an issue with ANY wallet holster for a thinner person.  it is also pant-dependant.  the pants i wore yesterday were more loose and forgiving.  with that pair of pants i'll be able to front pocket carry.  but today, that was not the case.  so depending on the pants i choose to wear any given day, i will carry front or rear accordingly.

this sueded me to carry in the back pocket for the first time ever today.  i have to tell you all, it felt so much more comfortable carrying back there compared to front pocket carry which i'm used to.  and sitting on it for 9 hours posed no problems.  when i used to sit for 9 hours a day in front pocket carry, Elsie really used to dig into my thigh.  i convinced myself i was used to it, but such was never the case.  it bugged me, badly.  and it caused my pants, both loose and tight, to really compress my groin section in an extremely uncomfortable manner.  maybe that would explain why i've began snapping at coworkers of late.  lol.  how i convinced myself this was okay to carry in this manner is really beyond me.  

today's back pocket carry really made my day that much more comfortable.  and in my tighter pants, it really did look like a wallet, beyond suspiscion.  trust me, i checked in the mirror a bunch of times this morning and was almost late to work.  lol.  what else can i comment on?  not much.  it doesn't make me coffee.  it doesn't do dishes.  but it does hold my Elsie in a secure manner and it's easy to carry.  and as with ANY new holster, i'm going to have to practice my draw technique.  i want to be fast on the draw like the gentleman in Talon's videos whom is obviously Charlie.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice job.  A ++++++++++.  You have now made up my mind as to what I will be buying.  First I need to buy a CT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
ebrasse, definately DO get the crimson trace.  i've tried the armalaser, and it didn't work out for me.  they took it back and gave a full refund.  there are positive reviews for them, but i had 2 bad units back to back.  that was enough for me to say no thank you.  this is possibly my life at stake.  i need something i can rely upon to act as intended.  after having placed the crimson trace on, i have zero regrets and would never go without it again.  i'd like to add one to my glock 36 as well, but i've got to spend my money elsewhere for now.  the crimson for the glock 36 is just like the one for the ruger LCP.

and i suppose you could get the Talon now and purchase the crimson on down the line.  i'm not sure how well it would secure the LCP without the CT installed, but i'm sure it'll hold just fine in the meantime.  and then you'll really kick yourself into gear getting that crimson.  now the only question you should have to ask yourself is "which color Talon should i get?"  

yeah, i did choose the black for my own purposes, but hot-damn, i would love to have a look at one of those tan ones just for the purpose of admiration.  and they list the fact they offer these holsters as LEFTY'S as well, but say there will be a wait time for those.  luckily for me i am right-handed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I missed it, but did you mention what aspects of the Talon made you choose it over the UG?

I am getting ready to order one, and they both look about identical, and like excellent choices, but I am trying to determine what makes the Talon cost more.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it, but did you mention what aspects of the Talon made you choose it over the UG?

I am getting ready to order one, and they both look about identical, and like excellent choices, but I am trying to determine what makes the Talon cost more.

Thanks

they are VERY much different.  the biggest being the design of the respective holsters.  the second being in the way they draw.  

Uncle George is thinner.  inside thigh or buttock flap and then the wallet outline flap of leather.  just two peices of material sewn together.  the Talon encases the LCP on both sides and then adds the outside wallet outline piece.  so there are 3 "layers" of leather.  

the UG covers the slide only about halfway up and leaving the rest exposed.  the Talon just about covers the LCP slide entirely, thus protecting it from sweat and whatever else may eminate from your body...yuck.  i prefer the holster with more protection to the gun.

UG demonstrates his draw technique on his website.  basically you slide your index finger between the LCP and the wallet flap and because it's sewn together, there is not much room to get your index finger anywhere but behind the trigger itself, right in the trigger guard area and then use that finger to assist the rest of your gripping fingers to grab hold of the pistol grip.  i read many opinions that feel this is not the most safe method to draw a pistol under a stressful confrontation.  i'm sure it's safe enough, but it was just enough to keep me from going the UG route.

the Talon, on the other hand, enables you to index your finger along the slide of the LCP whilst wrapping your middle and ring fingers around the grip of the pistol.  no need to put your finger in, on, behind or anywhere near the trigger to draw.  your index finger just rides along the slide until it's clear of your pocket and then you can place your finger on the trigger when YOU are ready, not when the hoster dictates otherwise.

i must add that i find BOTH the Talon and the Uncle George seem to reflect crafty workmanship and i'm sure both are suitable for carry and both are fine products.  i'm not trying to knock the Uncle George product.  if you think his will work better for you, then have at it.  i'm just stating in my review that the Talon is the better and best choice for ME.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice set-up you have there.

Off topic ?
How does it feel shooting it with the Hogue on there?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice set-up you have there.

Off topic ?
How does it feel shooting it with the Hogue on there?

short answer: it's practically a necessity with the Elsie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
really like the Hogue grip.  What size is it and how hard was it to make sure the lazer didn't turn on?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
hogue handall jr.  model# 18000

i simply used a generic (but all metal) handheld paper hole punch to punch the hole where i needed it to leave an opening around the crimson trace activation button.  the punch cut clean.  many others use a wood punch of the correct size, not sure off the top of my head which one.

some mount the hogue upside down, some right side up.  i chose the aft.  and then you have to mark it because it still needs to be cut down to size to fit the LCP grip.  i wouldn't want to go without it ever again.  if this one wears out though, i think i MAY try mounting it upside down and see where the palm swell ends up.  i chose the hogue handall jr. over the pachmeyer because of the palm swells.  the pachmeyer doesn't have them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I came in here to check out the holster and ended up ordering a Hogue Handall Jr.  

Dang it!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#19]
So where are you carrying that fat wallet now?

That's one of my hesitations with back pocket carry, the other is pick-pockets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
here's the thing about me, i haven't really worn my wallet on my person since high school over 15 years ago.  i just carry it around in my hand.  on occasion i'd throw it in my pocket.  but for obvious reasons, it was too uncomfortable to leave there for more than a few minutes.  imagine all these pockets, yet i carry everything with me in my hands.  it really sucks when pushing a shopping cart.  

anyway, obviously i cannot carry around a pistol in my hands.  maybe in a proper case/holster like one of those dayplanner deals.  but no.  i chose pocket carry, though i loathe the feeling of ANYTHING in my pockets.  so maybe you can appreciate the Talon being comfortable enough to tolerate it for hours on end.

and just last night i sent away for a Big Skinny wallet to even out my other side of my pants.  more for comfort than printing purposes.  those big skinny's are thin wallets but big enough to hold my necessities.  my Costanza wallet is pretty ratty so out it goes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the Uncle George holster really require you to put your finger inside the trigger guard to unholster it?

I never thought about using a back pocket wallet holster, but I might order this soon.  I like it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does the Uncle George holster really require you to put your finger inside the trigger guard to unholster it?

check his website and watch his videos.  he snags it up with his index finger, pulling the LCP toward the rest of your palm.  i personally think it's safe enough, but just preferred the Talon holser.  i like it better in every way.  no, i don't have hands-on experience with the Uncle George, but it's rather easy to imagine holding one in your hands compared to the Talon.  and Uncle G's videos really give you an idea what you're buying.  

I never thought about using a back pocket wallet holster, but I might order this soon.  I like it.

the only thing better for concealment is inside the waistband holster.  but that's not as comfortable sporting that carry for hours on end.  i know this first hand.

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

check his website and watch his videos.  he snags it up with his index finger, pulling the LCP toward the rest of your palm.  i personally think it's safe enough, but just preferred the Talon holser.  i like it better in every way.  no, i don't have hands-on experience with the Uncle George, but it's rather easy to imagine holding one in your hands compared to the Talon.  and Uncle G's videos really give you an idea what you're buying.  

the only thing better for concealment is inside the waistband holster.  but that's not as comfortable sporting that carry for hours on end.  i know this first hand.

I like the way the Talon lets you index your finger along the slide.  

I haven't found a thin kydex holster to try with the LCP, I imagine it would be a good setup.  I made one, but the belt loop was way to thick and bulky, so it wasn't very useful
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#24]
one day i'll make an IWB kydex with the piece of faux carbon fiber i purchased 5 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Does the holster stay in your pocket when you draw?
I currently use a Desantis for right front pocket carry which stays put pretty well,but prints somewhat.
I'm considering the talon if it is reasonably comfortable for front pocket carry in relaxed fit jeans and
stays put during draw. Guru also makes a very similar holster.
Good review, thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does the holster stay in your pocket when you draw?
I currently use a Desantis for right front pocket carry which stays put pretty well,but prints somewhat.
I'm considering the talon if it is reasonably comfortable for front pocket carry in relaxed fit jeans and
stays put during draw. Guru also makes a very similar holster.
Good review, thanks for your input.

it all depends on how you draw.  it's obviously not like velcro.  but when i use my knuckles to put pressure on the grippy side of the Talon it tends to keep it in place.  i have no worries the Talon will come out with my draw.  i don't even practice anymore.  it just draws nicely all the time for me.  front and back pocket carry.  all except for one pair of my pants where the pocket opening is far more slanted.  but any pants pockets with a normal opening will draw consistantly.

i have gone back to front pocket carry with this holster.  it's been comfortable enough and feels much better than my makeshift cell phone case holster.  but today i did some housework for the folks and wore back pocket carry all day.  it is so much more comfortable but for some reason i keep going back to front pocket carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top