Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 2:51:09 AM EST
I'm interested in picking up a P99 QA, but the local funshop only has a P99QA "Military"...which also happens to have the extended mag release. The pistol would be for my wife, and she has trouble reaching the lever that far forward.

Do the "regular" P99s still come with the standard mag release, or is the extended release now coming on all the new guns? Walther seems not to have updated it's photos of the P99 since 2003 (still showing the proprietary rail, etc.)

Anyone bought a P99 recently?

Also, if you happen to know, did S&W keep the standard release on the SW99, or did they go the extended as well?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:21:19 AM EST
There has been a change as of 2005/06 it seams to all P99's
I have seen numerous P99's (A/S and QA) with the long mag release now... however if you look on Gunbroker you can find some NIB P99's in black or OD green that still have the short release

And yes you can look for a S&W 99 also.... but S&W discontinued all but the S&W99L which is the DAO version of the S&W99 due to the recent M&P introduction
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:06:05 AM EST
isnt the mag release right on the bottom of the trigger guard?

Is it possible that if you cant reach the mag release, you also cant reach the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:43:30 AM EST
The extended release places the bearing surface (the part that you push down on) it alongside the bottom of the trigger guard. She can't reach it with her SS thumb, and trying to manipulate it with her trigger finger is difficult (it may "break in", but the one in the shop was difficult for her to manipulate with her index finger).

The "short" release of Walthers past (and the SW99/SW990L) looks like it could be easier for her to get at (she can hit the release on a USP 45 Fullsize with her thumb).

I was just trying to figure out if it was a feature on all the new P99's or just the military model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:15:35 PM EST
Well I hope I answered the question for you.......
www.gothammarketing.com/bb/waltherforum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=1b2dadbcfe3c879257fde6395fff0a57;act=ST;f=1;t=3289
this is a post with a black P99 with new mag release

but if all fails... you still can have your wife push the mag release with weak hand
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:13:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By uncut:
Well I hope I answered the question for you.......
www.gothammarketing.com/bb/waltherforum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=1b2dadbcfe3c879257fde6395fff0a57;act=ST;f=1;t=3289
this is a post with a black P99 with new mag release

but if all fails... you still can have your wife push the mag release with weak hand

Roger uncut, you answered my question (thank you). We're going to try and get her hands on a SW99, and see if it's any easier to operate.

My response to FastSS above was to explain a bit further why that the new style release wasn't working for her.

Weak hand operation is a nogo (impossible to tac-load that way). Ya gotta realize, she's got her own drop-leg tactical and CCW rigs for USPs and 1911's, and trains about as much as I do. Her training won't allow for shortcuts like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:56 AM EST
Have her try to opperate the mag relese with her middle finger on the shooting hand. It may give her a little more leverage on it.

CD
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:54:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By CDKayak:
Have her try to opperate the mag relese with her middle finger on the shooting hand. It may give her a little more leverage on it.

Roger. It'll probably be late next week until we can get back over to someplace where she can try the two releases (P99QA and SW990L) side-by-side. I'll have her try the middle finger shooting hand as well.
Top Top