Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 7:25:41 AM EDT
I found the stock mag catch on my G17 to hurt my thumb, so filing fixed that problem. However, I cannot do tactical reloads! I find that I can't apply enough force with my thumb to release the mag unless I tilt the pistol like you would normally do to reload, which makes tactical reloads extremely difficult.

Is this normal? I'm thinking about getting a Glock extended mag release (#1981) and rounding off the corners.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I do that on most of my Glocks.  I round the corners and make it "half extended" for lack of a better term

Edited to fix image
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
That is about the first part I swap out and for $2.50+ shipping if you don't like it you're not out much.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be installing one to my g17 this coming week when it get here.
Also a exstended slide stop.

TG
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Should I also get the extended slide stop/release? It's a 3-pin G17, and there appears to be two versions for the G17.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No point in an extended slide stop.  You shouldn't be using it to release the slide anyway.  Leave your glock as stock as humanly possible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No point in an extended slide stop.  You shouldn't be using it to release the slide anyway.  Leave your glock as stock as humanly possible.

It seems easier to use it as intended rather than waste time pulling the slide back?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#7]
i use an extended mag release on my glock 17,no problems,especially shooting IPSC
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The stock mag catch is just too damn short to be of any use. i found that I had to give it excessive "force" even with the gun rotated a few degrees, in order to drop Glock factory mags. It's because the catch button is too short. I know it's designed to prevent accidental mag drops, but it gets in the way of commanded mag drops.

I'll see how the Extended Slide Stop feels. As-is, the stock slide stop is almost impractical to use. It seems that most of the parts on the Glock 17 Pro or Glock 34 seem practical.

Now I just have to figure out a way to prevent the checkering from killing my pinky finger (it's all bruised up).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I did not know that the slide stop was not to be used as a slide release on the Glock. I'm just used to the AR-15's ergonomic features! As for the mag catch, after rounding it off, it now feels a lot more comfortable to use. I will try using the tip of the thumb instead of the heel of the thumb!

This makes more sense now, but do you lose a tactical advantage by having to pull the slide back each time to chamber the first round?

This is on a full-framed Glock 17.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
i have never experienced any major problems with having a ext. mag release and bolt stop/release
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#13]
One thing I noticed with the extended mag release is that it bit into my left hand when I was shooting.  I have no problems with the standard mag release.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I followed Marc's advice and made my Glock 17 totally stock. I kept the night sights and inner tube grip though, and performed the 25 cent polishing job (i used 2000 grit sandpaper instead of polishing compound, it was less messy this way).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot a G22. I also have small hands, rather small hands for a man. So I put a G20/21 mag release in my G22. I still have to shift my grip but not as radically to drop a mag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as the slide stop, when i bought my 22 and my 27, both at the same time, the 27 came with the standard slide stop, but the 22 came with the extended one.  both were shipped strait from the factory this way.  is this unusual, or does glock install the extended slide releases often?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
They are only a few bucks.  Buy one and if you don't like it, put the old one back and thats all you are out.  Plus you will get some experience working on your gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 this is exactly what i was gonna say. Unless you are shooting competition and racing you shouldnt be using the button to release the slide anyways.  If it makes you feel better then do it, but i honestly COULD NOT tell you the last time i used my slide release button.

my. 02
AA
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The extended slide release is nothing more than the magazine release from a wide frame Glock ( 20,29,21,30). Typically when i install one i have to sand the edges off so it's comfortable. Being able to release your mag without altering your grip is a good thing. IMHO.

J

TG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top