Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:28:13 AM EDT
What are the differences between the USP Expert and the USP Elite?

How would you compare them to the standard USP? Are they just as reliable? Are they any more inherently accurate?

Isn't the Elite supposed to be more accurate than the expert due to the longer barrel and sight radius?

Why are they the same MSRP?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:40:35 AM EDT
Those very same questions are why I bought the Tactical instead. Next will be the Mk 23
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:55:54 PM EDT
Most folks will opt for the Expert over the Elite for a myriad of reasons. Some are valid, some are merely personal preference. I doubt there's an iota of difference in accuracy between the two.

My personal preference is the standard .45acp USP in compact and/or full size. In arfcom tradition, I have both.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT by Big-Bore]

Originally Posted By spork:
1. What are the differences between the USP Expert and the USP Elite?
2. How would you compare them to the standard USP? Are they just as reliable? Are they any more inherently accurate?
3. Isn't the Elite supposed to be more accurate than the expert due to the longer barrel and sight radius?
4. Why are they the same MSRP?

1. longer barrel and sight radius, that's all
2. absolutely just as reliable. Maybe inherently more accurate because the o-ring assures absolutely perfect slide/barrel allignment with each shot, but considering the USP is more accurate than most shooters I don't think you gain much with the E&E except for the better trigger. That is where the main advantage lies IMO
3. longer barrels do not mean more accuracy nor does a longer sight radius. All the longer sight radius does is allow many shooters to shoot more accurately. It does not make the gun more accurate per se
4. because it costs as much to make one as the other. Both are made on a limited basis
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:10:41 PM EDT
Big-Bore, is it true that the only USP Experts available only have a 10 round capacity?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:22:48 PM EDT

Big-Bore, is it true that the only USP Experts available only have a 10 round capacity?

All full-sized USPs take the same mags, within a given caliber.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:46:03 PM EDT
What type of sights does each one have? I know they are adjustable, but are they plain black, 3-dot, or tritium?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:17:43 PM EDT

What type of sights does each one have? I know they are adjustable, but are they plain black, 3-dot, or tritium?

If they are anything like the match target sights on the USP Tactical, they are adjustable, plain sights.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 7:19:42 PM EDT by Big-Bore]
Correct, the Tac, Expert, and Elite all use the same style sights, black plain blades but the front sight on the Expert and Elite are undercut on the shooter's side of the front sight to reduce glare to the shooter, unlike the Tac. However, that fish-hook front sight makes those pistols very bad for duty or carry because that front sight will catch on every bit of clothing it gets near. For duty use I suggest changing out the front sight to the Tactical style.

Also correct, all USP .45s were made for the full cap 12 round mags. It was the Clinton AWB that caused the change in the floor plates which restricted the mags to 10 rounds here in the US. All USP mags fit all USPs of the same caliber.
The only time this is not true is if you put the Jet Funnel on the 9mm and .40 USP, then the standard 10-15 round mags will no longer lock in and you must use the extended cap "white" mags, which hold 18 9mm and 16 .40s. You can use the white mags in the pistol without the JF but they stick out the bottom by about 1/2 inch.
Jet Funnel
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 10:54:29 AM EDT by warlord]

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

1. What are the differences between the USP Expert and the USP Elite?
2. How would you compare them to the standard USP? Are they just as reliable? Are they any more inherently accurate?
3. Isn't the Elite supposed to be more accurate than the expert due to the longer barrel and sight radius?
4. Why are they the same MSRP?

1. longer barrel and sight radius, that's all
2. absolutely just as reliable. Maybe inherently more accurate because the o-ring assures absolutely perfect slide/barrel allignment with each shot, but considering the USP is more accurate than most shooters I don't think you gain much with the E&E except for the better trigger. That is where the main advantage lies IMO
3. longer barrels do not mean more accuracy nor does a longer sight radius. All the longer sight radius does is allow many shooters to shoot more accurately. It does not make the gun more accurate per se
4. because it costs as much to make one as the other. Both are made on a limited basis

I have an Expert, slightly longer barrel/slide is not enough to make difference either way in the real real world. To me it just adds a bit of panache.

The one striking difference at least of for me is that the factory trigger on the Expert is the best I've ever felt from an out of the box gun.

See here for a comparison:
Elite
Expert

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg11-e.htm

USP is a serious combat/self defense gun, but HK also designed a "sporting" versions of the USP - USP Match and USP Expert.
USP Match has polygonal rifled barrel, O-ring and compensator, and tuned for target shooting.
USP Expert, presented in 1998, is designed for serious European IPSC competitions, It has adjustable rear sight, extended barrel and slide and O-ring for better accuracy.

Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top