Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/23/2003 12:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 12:43:17 PM EDT by StewartTR]
Have any of you ever been harassed because someone suspected you were carrying. What happened and how did it turn out. I have read that even if you are legally carrying and you get discovered it can ruin your day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 12:34:16 PM EDT by Wolfpack]
Your kidding right?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=151363

Long read.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 4:22:26 AM EDT by StewartTR]
Ouch, that was rough. Here is what happened to me when I went to Service Merchandise to buy some jewelry for my wife for Christmas. I hadn’t been carrying very long and had not quite figured out the best way for me to conceal as yet. This particular night I put my Glock 19 in my jacket pocket and checked the store door for no carry signs on my way in. I found no signs and proceeded to the jewelry counter to pick out something. There happened to be two Police officers there for security that night, I don’t know if there had been any trouble recently or not but the store felt a need to hire them I guess. I didn’t pay them much attention at first because I was perfectly legal. As I continued to try and pick out something I became aware that they were paying very special attention to me. I wasn’t sure if I had inadvertently broken some law I was not aware of, I then became nervous which I’m sure they picked up on. It got so bad that the poor girl that was helping me started to look scared like I was going to hold her up or something. I hastily picked something out which the wife hated and I took back after Christmas. Shortly after Christmas Service Merchandise went out of business and I was not sorry to see them go. Nothing was ever said to me but I was sure glad to get out of that place and swore I would never be back (except to return their ring).
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:15:15 PM EDT
How did you have the gun your pocket? Like a jacket pocket with the grip hanging out? I would have raised an eyebrow too if I had been working there or as the cop.
I'm not sure what the CCW laws are in KY, what do they say about open carry?
The lack of a quality holster scares people because they think of a robber.
Depending on how you look plays a big part too. Not a racial thing, just how you carry yourself. They see a young guy like myself with a gun, and I get a raised eyebrow. Being in Az though, it is perfectly legal to open carry, and keep it completely concealed. Walkin gin the parkinglot though, the wind has blown my shirt open, who knows if anyone saw. I don't really care. Walking into a bank, or a jewelry store, I'd keep it covered good. Why freak the sheep?
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:04:59 PM EDT
The jacket has an inside pocket on the left side. I figure they could tell I had something heavy in one side of my jacket.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:35:04 PM EDT

The lack of a quality holster scares people because they think of a robber.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the state police academy teaches as a rule of thumb that 80% of those carrying in a holster are carrying legally and 80% of those not carrying in a holster are carrying illegally. That's why I strongly suggest always carrying in a holster. I like the belt-clips like you see for 1911's, Kel-Tec's, etc., but they give LEO's the wrong impression.

Back to the original topic, I've been given a hard time several times by local cops for carrying on company property while at work. I work late nights and the building is on the edge of a very bad neighborhood, so I often carry when working up front where you can see in through the windows, when unloading trucks, or taking-out the trash. It's 100% legal, but they don't like it. I've ended-up in the back of a cop car for a warrant check four times so far for it.z
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:36:59 PM EDT
Are you sure your state of mind didn't alert the police and the clerk to act they way they did? I believe that the cops could have telled that you were armed, but most clerks can't see an open carried black gun on a black set of levis. Let alone notice a subtle thing like sag in your jacket pocket. The police would of likely confronted you about the situation. You sure they weren't rent-a-cops? Some of their uniforns are pretty similar to the police.
Not trying to bash you or anything. Just curious.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but out here in Arizona, carrying a firearm is fairly common. Most of the police I've talked to indicate that most firearm enthusiasts would rarely carry Mexican style or with the gun stuck in their pocket due to safety concerns. That alone is an eyebrow raiser from their POV (point of view).
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:00:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 4:00:49 AM EDT by StewartTR]
They were off duty police working on the side for extra $. The clerk noticed the officers attention to me and that is what alarmed her. I now cary using an inside the pants holster at 4:00 which works verry well but is a bit uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:12:41 AM EDT
cops get vibes. it's a big part of what they do. a sag in a pair of slacks or jacket can be anything from a cell phone to a leatherman tool. cops look at everybody and if their spidey sense begins to tingle they pay closer attention in this case to you. that's all. so be cool and don't think of yourself as being persecuted or singled out because if you do you will.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:13:34 PM EDT
I was followed around all over the store in a Kmart by the store manager in Tucson about 10 years ago. I had a Model 67 in a Uncle Mikes belt slide in plain view. I got as much attention as a shop lifter. I am glad that store went out of business years ago. This guy had to be a complete idiot. If I had been a criminal, he was insuring that he was going to catch a bullet. Darwin award winner to be....
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:50:43 AM EDT
I have some Jnco(?) jeans, and I could have sworn they were made for carrying. The right side has two individual pockets, each about a quarter inch larger than a ten round 1911 magazine. The left side has a cargo pocket the size of my 1911, and when in the pocket, it doesn't even look like there is much in there. Not too good for quick draw, but is is still odd. For akward, try this thread: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187090&page=1
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:42:33 PM EDT
In four years of CCW in North Carolina, I have been pulled over twice. Both times, the officer just acknowledged that I had a weapon. Neither made a issue and in both instances I got a verbal warning for speeding. In fact, the NC State Trooper was only interested how well did my .40 Glock 27 shoot.

I got pulled over in Virginia and told the state trooper that I had a weapon. He asked to see it, he then asked for my drivers license and CCW permit. He took all three back to his vehicle and wrote me for 75 in 65.

Top Top