Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/25/2010 9:02:32 AM EDT
Taurus Judge, that is.
We have a major snake issue down at our camp. I've potted a bunch of copperheads with snakeshot in a Smith snubby, but we've run across some timber rattlers bigger around than my calf. I was hesitant to even disturb 'em with a .38.
The .410 Judge seemed like a solution, and it is...with some qualifications. It's a better hand shotgun than a .38, but it isn't a real shotgun by a wide margin.

My Judge is a 3"/3" barrel and cylinder, enabling it to take 3" shotshells. I took an assortment of ammo and fired it at B29 silhouttes on 8.5"x11" paper.
Max effective range with .38 shotshells is maybe 10'; the .410 is no greater. Some loads were virtually worthless; 3" Win Super X #7.5 had blown patterns with gaping spots with no pellets at all.
What works best in my gun are #4s and #6s; very best seems to be 3" Remingtons with #4 shot; at 10' the pattern is 10"x10" with good distribution; the same load at 6' is 8"X8". These patterns aren't terribly different than .38 snakeshot, but the pellets are much bigger and the pattern somewhat denser.
My suggestion is that you experiment with your own Judge, but be advised that you can't murder snakes from standoff distance; you're going to have to close to 10' or less to be really effective.
I think Taurus would have been better served with barrel with twistless rifling and not worried too much about the .45 Colt; my suspicion is that the spin of the shot charge is spreading it too much. A 15' range would have made me a bunch happier.
I'd be happy to hear othere owner's experiences.
Moon
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:26 AM EDT
I am thinking you won't get many positive responses concernig that revolver here,,,
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:48:36 PM EDT
If your snake problem is that bad I would get a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:15:36 PM EDT by natew73]
IMO the Judge is a horrible concept. If you're going to make a pistol that shoots a shotgun shell, make it smooth bore. Why make it rifled for the .45 Colt? If you want to shoot something besides buckshot, birdshot, etc..you could shoot a rifled slug. I might be interested if they made a smooth bore revolver chambered for the .410. AND it wasn't made by Taurus.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:41:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By natew73:
IMO the Judge is a horrible concept. If you're going to make a pistol that shoots a shotgun shell, make it smooth bore. Why make it rifled for the .45 Colt? If you want to shoot something besides buckshot, birdshot, etc..you could shoot a rifled slug. I might be interested if they made a smooth bore revolver chambered for the .410. AND it wasn't made by Taurus.

Making it a smooth bore would make a SBS and require a $200 tax stamp. These guns are all 45 Colt that happen to allow 410 shells to fire out of them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:29:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By decoy:

Making it a smooth bore would make a SBS and require a $200 tax stamp. These guns are all 45 Colt that happen to allow 410 shells to fire out of them.

Smooth bore barrel would actually make it an AOW, not an SBS, and would only require a $5 tax stamp.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:38:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mak0:
Originally Posted By decoy:

Smooth bore barrel would actually make it an AOW, not an SBS, and would only require a $5 tax stamp.

Exactly. It isn't a SBS unless it has a butt stock so it can be shouldered.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:02:18 AM EDT

10' away for rattlers that big is a little too close for comfort –––– those jokers can move very quickly when they want to and might get ticked off if you just wing them with 2 or 3 pellets
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:32:44 PM EDT
The Judge has the dubious distinction of owning both "Dumbest Idea" and "Shit quality" titles as well as being the biggest piece of skullduggery perpetrated on the American shooting public in many, many years. Dumb people see the ads and instantly think the Judge is the greatest thing for home defense ever. I'm not sure what endears it more to me, the fact that it can't shoot .45 colt worth a shit or the fact that it can't shoot .410 worth a shit. Or it's substandard quality. When I worked at a Taurus dealer I had guns shipped to us brand new from Taurus that would make a machinist cry like a baby. The following things were things I witnessed PERSONALLY on guns straight from the factory. This seemed to conincide with the Judge rage a year or so back, my guess is they gave QC people a few months off to speed production.

-Chatter marks and gouges in cylinder
-Internals so full of metal shavings and gunk that the gun wouldn't cycle
-Guns locked up
-Faulty cylinder releases that would allow the cylinder to fall out at any time
-Triggers that wouldn't reset
-Faulty timing

Among other things. I sold over a hundred Judges to people when I worked there and even after I'd give every gun we got a function check some would still come back. Light primer strikes and locked up guns were the most common IIRC. If Taurus made them with straight rifling and a choke tube it might be a neat toy, but in it's current configuration it's about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:50:11 PM EDT
The Judge was designed for people that don't want to learn how to shoot.

You can get shotshell rounds from CCI for a .38/357 to help solve your snake problem.
Top Top