Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:06:22 AM EDT
I saw one of these for sale cheap, and was wondering if Essex is a POS?

I would like to jump into the 1911 bandwagon.

Thanks!
Mike

Edit: Spellcheck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Essex for the most part are built from part kits.

So no simple answer, Bad builder, Bad gun. Good builder, Good gun..

How cheap might be an indicator of the quality of parts, or someone is just in neeed of cash.

Boy am I alot of help
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Boy am I alot of help

Anything is better than nothing. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Essex frames are questionable at best. The last one I worked with had a very large porosity due to the casting. It was the first and last Essex I will work on. The bad spot was on the dust cover, so no big deal really but it makes me wonder about the rest of the frame...

Dan Wesson I can see using them, I don't think very highly of their pistols.
I don't think very highly of Detonics pistols either, but I don't think they are built on Essex frames.

You'd be better off with an IMBEL from Springfield, and they aren't so great either...

If you're building from scratch, buy a Caspian.

As always, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 2 of the Detonics frames that Numrich had acouple of years ago.
Build both of them and shot them. Took work but I had crappy slides to deal with.
Then htey were both stolen, one recoverd and is still sitting in evidence
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
SGB - "Caspian is the prefered choice AAA+"

My Caspian is the only 1911 I have liked better than my Colts and I have owned most of them over the years.  JD  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've built or worked on quite a few Essex and Auto Ordnance (their frames used to be made by Essex) over the years.  I've yet to find one that didn't have one issue or another, but there are a lot worse ones out there.  The steel seems to be of decent quality, and the rails are at least straight.  Issues I've seen are out of spec holes, particularly for the thumb safety stud, and also sear and hammer pin holes off parallel.  Also, they have a tendency to have the mainspring housing retaining pin hole too high in the frame.  I would not recommend one to someone, especially when Caspian is so good and relatively inexpensive.

Sounds good to me... Stay away eh? Oh well. I saw $250 on it and went WHOA!

Big thanks to everyone for the help.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top