Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:17:40 AM EDT
i was looking at a 1911 in a pawn shop locally - Essex frame (# 194 on it) and an Ithaca slide.

seems nice and tight - no function problems noted.

the frame finish is a little rough around the trigger guard area - almost a pitted or just poorly machined look and the A1 reliefs are not machined as cleanly as i would like.  the finish is good though.

any ideas on a price?  they had too much on it IMHO:  $759.

whats a good offer or is it worth even considering it?  looking for a truck gun mostly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I love seeing Essex framed guns listed at outrageous prices.  Unless it was built into a nice carry gun by a competent smith, I would say what you described is worth about $300.  When I see stuff like that in a gun store, that means I'm walking right back out and never going back.  

Basically, consider Essex frames to be the same as Auto Ordnance.  A truck gunshould not be much more than $400 tops.  $759 for a $300 gun is crazy.  If pawn shops there are anything like here, you might consider offering a much lower amount.  On a side note, Essex frames usually have A1 relief cuts that do not extend very far back.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
WAY to much, Hobbs is correct in that it's WORTH about 3 to 350. However, he'll unfortunately get more for it with a GI slide. In the end, unless he finds a real sucker, he'll probably get right around 5 to 550 for it. There is just to many people who want a sorta USGI 1911, and if they know about Ithica as a manufacturer and not much else they'll buy it. I did not spend that much for a papered and boxed REAL USGI Ithica. Save your money and keep looking. You will find one sooner or later that is worth the coin.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
A WWII era Ithaca that's most or all correct could be had for $759.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Jason has told me I could get that Ithaca for $600, out the door.  I passed as well(after I offered him $400).  Archdale Ammo and Arms has a refinished 1942 Colt  that they're asking $500 for.  It was overpolished and the front strap looks like it was checkered with a chainsaw, but they acted like they would take $400 for it.  I think it would make a great truck gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top