Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/19/2005 3:26:17 PM EDT
I went to the range today and after minutes of 9mm fire I had a nice pile of 9mm brass. I decided to mix up my mags and add in an empty shell every so often in a mag to simulate stove pipes or other malfunctions. (Sometimes it would chamber and I would get the simulation of a misfire)

However afterwards I began to wonder if I was hurting my pistol by loading in empty shell cases into the magazine.

I could use snap caps, but I do not feel like walking onto the firing line to pick up my flung training shells.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:41:45 PM EDT
Empty casings in the mag beneath live rounds could cause the live rounds to act differently in the magazine, causing failures. If your not getting them with full live mags, then I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:38:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:

However afterwards I began to wonder if I was hurting my pistol by loading in empty shell cases into the magazine.

Not at all. The gun's steel is a hundred times harder than ammo brass so there's no worry there. Many trainers do the very thing you're doing to catch a shooter flinching when they pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:42:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:23:28 PM EDT
my pistols are all steel framed, except for my USP and Walther which are polymer...would that hurt them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:43:20 AM EDT
i think he is referring to the steel around the slide. Some are aluminum or some other type of mixture of stainless and something. the lower receiver being polymer should make no differnece I would not think.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:32:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 8:33:27 AM EDT by Zardoz]

Originally Posted By BobCole:

Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:

Not at all. The gun's steel is a hundred times harder than ammo brass so there's no worry there. Many trainers do the very thing you're doing to catch a shooter flinching when they pull the trigger.

Sneaking an empty into a magazine is also a good way to find out how your friends will react to a malfunction. Will they simply clear it and keep shooting, or will they simply stare at the gun, with a dumbfounded look on their face?

Most of my friends unfortunately immediately hand the weapon off to me to "fix it".
Top Top