Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 6:40:47 PM EDT
I have been shooting a S&W M657 (.41 mag) for the last few months. Although I love the thing to death, the ejector rod displays an annoying tendency to unscrew itself (slightly) loose. That means that after a couple of cylinders opening the cylinder takes some effort (I have to pound it with my fist). Tightening the ejector rod "cures" the problem for the next couple of cylinders.

How normal is this? Any way to prevent it from happening?  Although I have shot some pretty stout loads, most of what I shoot is fairly mild for .41 magnum loads (about full-power 10mm levels).

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how the ejector rod on a 657 is attached...  But is it anything you can use loctite on?

Kent
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I can glue it. It revolves around with the cylinder, and the thing has to move in order to eject the empty cases. I thought about it, but unless I'm missing something fundamental about it, I don't think I can use Loctite.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I had never heard of that happening before, so I was more than a bit curious about it. This is my first revolver, and I love it like crazy.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's the tool -
www.brownells.com/Images/Products/970100003.jpg

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16617&title=EXTRACTOR+ROD+TOOL

$20!

What you can use is a wood spring type clothespin.  Clamp the clothespin over the knurling then grab the clothespin with the pliers.

Anothergene is correct about using cases to support the ejector star, otherwise you run a risk of shearing off the pins. Degrease the threads and use a small dab of blueloctite is you have problems after you've given it a good tightening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It happened to me but luckily I could just tighten it by hand and it didn't give me any more grief.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the tool -
www.brownells.com/Images/Products/970100003.jpg

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16617&title=EXTRACTOR+ROD+TOOL

$20!

What you can use is a wood spring type clothespin.  Clamp the clothespin over the knurling then grab the clothespin with the pliers.

Anothergene is correct about using cases to support the ejector star, otherwise you run a risk of shearing off the pins. Degrease the threads and use a small dab of blueloctite is you have problems after you've given it a good tightening.

Yeah, I guess I'll try that before I spring for the tool. I'll see if it works, shoot some monster loads and see if the recoil doesn't make it loose.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top