Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 9:04:29 PM EDT
Hi, I purchased a Walther P-38 surplus pistol about a year and a half ago while I was on leave from Iraq.  I took it out to the range for the first time fall and I notice that the spent shells were not ejecting with any force, but more like being out over my left wrist with very little force.  Also, half of the empty casings were tossed towards my face and head, which isn't a good thing!!  

I gave it another shot again about 3 months ago with the same results... I used several brands of ammunition, including FMJ and JHP rounds and nothing changed.

Is this an easy fix or do I need to send the pistol to a gunsmith in order to have this corrected??  If so, who would you recommend for this type of work on a Walther P-38??

BTW, its dated "11/62"...A very interesting time period during the Cold War.  Plus, its only 2 months older than me!!!!

Thanks for looking!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The Walther P-38/P1 is an "odd" design in that it ejects to the LEFT, instead of the "normal" right.
Having an occasional case thrown at your head is not uncommon with these guns.

Your first step would be to give the entire gun a thorough cleaning and lubing.
Pay special attention to getting the extractor assembly clean.
Many of these guns were packed in heavy lube and haven't been really cleaned in 30 years.
Impacted, dried lube in the extractor assembly can cause weak ejection.

Inspect the extractor for wear, chips, or other damage.
Make sure it has plenty of spring tension after it's cleaned.

Inspect the ejector to insure it's not bent, worn, or deformed.

Also, be sure to clean the magazine.  Many odd problems with these guns are "cured" after the magazine is cleaned.
Magazines especially are often gummed up.

If this doesn't do it, have a gunsmith replace the extractor spring, and possibly the extractor and ejector.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for clean the extractor really good.

Also safley try just feeding a mag thru using dummy cartirges if you have them, and see how it ejects just yanking the slide back.  If you get a good ejection of a full loaded round then it may be the rails or slide need cleaned lubed or polished.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top