Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 1:55:20 PM EDT
This is my latest 1911, an Ed Brown Class A Custom.

Smooth as glass...........
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Freakin BEAUTIFUL.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez...that almost hurts.  Beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Very well done.  

Eta:  What exactly is a Class A Custom?  Is that more to your own specifications?  If so, then tell me that that's not a slip-fit Novak rear.  I'm baulking on an EB for that very reason.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Class A's have been discontinued. EB is trying to push the Kobras, and the new Executive Series.

Class A's were custom made with whatever options the buyer wanted.

I think the Exec's can be made with customer's options.

Yep, it's a Novak slip fit Trijicon sight.

I think all EB's use the slip fit design. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't know why you'd be so set against them. It's a system that works, and is adjustable for windage.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks elegant . . . for a killing machine.  I love it.

R.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't know why you'd be so set against them. It's a system that works, and is adjustable for windage.

It's a data point, but eventually I see myself getting a 5" Kobra.     From my understanding of the slip-fit rear, you put the drop of loctite then tighten, let set for a few, shoot, then adjust before it sets.  That's a one time windage adjustment unless you play around with it and heat it to lossen the red loctite.  How did I do?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Purty li'l thang.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a data point, but eventually I see myself getting a 5" Kobra.     From my understanding of the slip-fit rear, you put the drop of loctite then tighten, let set for a few, shoot, then adjust before it sets.  That's a one time windage adjustment unless you play around with it and heat it to lossen the red loctite.  How did I do?

Uh, what?

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, so if my response sounds wierd, it's because I'm confused about your post.

The rear Novak mounts to the slide via a dovetail.  When done correctly, the dovetail is machined into the slide, and then the gunsmith fits the sight to the slide.  It's a very tight fit, and that little screw is really just a safeguard.  It's every bit as secure as a GI rear sight when done properly.  It's not necessary to set the screw with Loctite unless the dovetail is a little oversized, or if the sight has been dressed down too much.  Also, red Loctite is not very strong, and usually one does not need heat to loosen it.

ETA: sorry to digress on your thread, RogerC.  That really is a nice looking piece.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Uh, what?

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, so if my response sounds wierd, it's because I'm confused about your post.

Ed Browns come exclusively with a proprietary slip-fit rear Novak that has to be locked with red loctite.  Some have avoided this procedure and have been fine, some have come loose.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know if I like that option... I always mic each side of the slide to center the sight in the dovetail. Haven't had any customers complain about it yet

Other than that, nice piece, really nice bluing. Brown do that in-house?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Man..thats a piece of art.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]
f2, I owe you an apology.  I figured you were babbling some nonsense, as I was sure that no reputable smith would fit a Novak rear that way.  I read their description of "slip fit", and I'm speechless.  Basically, they are installing the rear sight to be loose, and held in by only the screw.  That, folks, is ridiculous.  That system is fine for a safe queen, but the first time the gun bumps something like a door jam or wall, it's coming loose, no matter how much loctite someone puts on it.  Thanks for edjumacatin' me Combat_Jack.  I'm going to go ready for work now and shake my head all day long.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are seriously overreacting. The rear sight isn't going anywhere. Its solid as a rock. Obviously you've never seen this setup firsthand, nor do you fully understand it. I'm sure that Ed Brown is an idiot in your book, and that's OK. I'm going to shoot the bejeezuz out of this pistol. I'll be sure to let you know when the sight flies off.

Funny how I don't see any posts about them coming loose, only people anticipating that they will.....hmmmmm?

AJ, No, not here.

Here's the leather I'll be carrying it in. A Sparks VersaMax2. My favorite IWB holster.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet.

My slip fit has not come loose in many rounds
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Some guys just like to criticize.

I especially like the line "no reputable Smith"........yeah whatever.

Ed Brown is just a hack :)

For the record, this gun has 1500 rounds through it and the sight is in the same location.

I will be putting many more through it. Probably a few hundred this weekend.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
VERY nice!!!!

` 45
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Some guys just like to criticize.

I especially like the line "no reputable Smith"........yeah whatever.

Ed Brown is just a hack :)

For the record, this gun has 1500 rounds through it and the sight is in the same location.

I will be putting many more through it. Probably a few hundred this weekend.

RogerC,  Sorry, did not mean to open a can of worms at all.  Like I said, I see an Ed  Brown in my future because they are right up there in my 1911 book with respect to fit, finish, and most of all, reliability and function.  Btw, that's a beautiful VM2 you got there.  Take care.    

Eta: Received this quick response from EB on Class A Customs:

The Class A was discontinued a few years ago, and is no longer offered.  It was bascially a "build to order" gun. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top