Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2004 8:18:51 PM EST
I put it in here, as it's a CZ clone of sorts and odds are other CZ owners may have experience with the gun.

I was at the gunshop picking up my Beretta 1201FP shotgun and while waiting on the check, I decided to check out an EAA witness in .45ACP. I've owned a CZ-75B for quite some time now, and it's one of the best guns I've ever had in terms of, well everything. Anyway, I was expecting the larger frame Witness (as it's a .45ACP) to be more than a handful. It always seems that guns that feel great as 9mm, and are scaled up to .45 just end up too damn big for my hands. I was pleasently suprised to find the Witness to be VERY comfortable. You could tell it was bigger, but it wasn't "ood ball" bigger. They definately did some work to keep the grip naturally comfortable and not "too long, but skinny" or "too fat but short" or "too square". I mean, I really liked the grip, and I liked the idea of .45ACP.

Why I looked at it in the first place was the availability of the 10mm Witness. I like the 10mm, having owned a 1006 and currently a Delta Elite, but I wanted something that shot 10mm, was still comfortable to shoot, and wouldn't break the bank. I figured on looking at the .45 Witness there to get an idea of the size, as it's the same frame. I was happy to find that my fingers reached all the controls better than most guns, and it just plain fit well.

The gun I looked at was a blue .45ACP with a .22.LR conversion kit, slightly used (as in ANIB) for $395, which is a good deal. I know I can get a 10mm conversion kit as well, for another couple hundred bucks, which would give me a three caliber gun.

So just how good are the Witness pistols? Do they fall apart after 1000rds? Do they just run forever? Do they suck compared to an original in quality? Is there some reason for me NOT to buy the gun?

Ross
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 10:12:32 PM EST
if you look in the handgun general discussions I asked the same question... got lots of favorable replies. I was looking at one on Gunbroker.com. Less than 200$ was the current bid and had a "buy it now" option of 249.

People who have them seem to like them. IM me and I wil give you their website if you want it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 10:28:03 PM EST
There's a 10mm Witness on the EE right now. The one I was looking at was the package that had both .45ACP and the 22LR conversion kit for $395. The conversion kits go for $225 separately, and you can get them in pretty much any caliber that you would need (.40, 10mm, .38 Super, etc). I like the idea of the .45ACP for cheaper (than 10mm) shooting and I like the idea of 10mm as well.

I really liked the way the gun felt. I already know that if I buy one, I'll end up getting a conversion kit for either 10mm or .45 depending on what I buy in the first place. I'm just wondering if buying the one with the .22LR kit is worth the slightly higher price tag? It would be the ultimate in cheap shooting, and a three caliber set-up would be cool. It's also an easy purchase, as it's local and I don't have to mess with the extra work of buying online, and I get to examine the local one closely before purchase as well.

At least they have lay-away

Ross
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:33:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 6:34:50 PM EST by Ross]
OK, I bought the damn thing (Witness in .45ACP) and took it to the range today. The gun itself is all steel with separate rubber grip panels. The grip itself is VERY comfortable. Better than any other double stack .45 I've tried. Better than the HK USP and better than a Para-Ord IMO. The gun is well built, tight, shows good craftsmanship and feels good in the hand. The safety works like the CZ-75 in that it is up for on, down for off, with no hammer drop. With the hammer back and the safety on, the slide can still be retracted, so that's a pretty nice safety feature, but you have to remember that it's on if you do so.

It ran perfectly. No jams, no failures of any kind. It was tough to get the tenth round in the mag, and I didn't have a loading tool, so I didn't bother with the 10th round after the first couple times. It was just too hard to load that last one in without a loader. Either way, it ran 100% and didn't give a clue that it woudl do otherwise.

Accuracy was phenomenal. I mean this gun DRILLED holes EXACTLY where it was pointed. The fixed sights were easy to see, easy to use and absolutely dead on with 230gr ball. It is one of the best shooting .45's I've ever tried out.

The trigger was weird and is going to take some getting used to. It apparently didn't effect accuracy at all, but on single action, as you squeezed the trigger, it raises the hammer slightly, then breaks. You can feel the drag and it's more like a bizarre take up of slack. I'ts just weird to say the least. My CZ-75 does it as well, but it's so slight on the CZ that you don't notice it. With the EAA Witness, you can feel it alot and it's going to take some getting used to.

Recoil was normal for a .45. Nothing different than my Colt, which I shot along side. There seemed to be slightly more muzzle flip, but not enough to really be sure it existed, or was just me. Empty cases ejected well clear of the gun to the right front. Far enough that I was unable to recover many of them.

The gun itself is the matte blue with a .22LR conversion unit. I didn't shoot the conversion unit this time out. I've put it on the gun and it's as well made as the rest of the gun. I enjoyed the .45 so much that I'm glad I bought this version than a 10mm out of the gate. I'm definately going to get a 10mm conversion though, probably in Wonderfinish so I can't get mixed up as to what caliber I'm shooting.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:41:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:00:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:09:56 PM EST
yeah same here....I got the witness in .45acp since cali's retarded ass laws prohibited the 10mm...then I just ordered the 10mm upper for the witness....2 calibers for a low price but high quality....I have yet to get a jam....and loading the 10th round in the mag is a pain but you'll get used to it since the spring will soften up just a bit to allow easier loading...I'm going to order a heavier spring from midway for the 10mm cus the loads I'm pushing through it is on the hot end and since it'll be my last line of defense in a hunting situation...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:21:45 AM EST
Must be similar to the 97B, which I hear are crazy accurate out of the box. Not a bad find! Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:34:27 AM EST
Top Top