Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 12:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 11:50:29 AM EDT by gmtmaster]
I have a 10mm Compact slide on a full size frame. The 10mm guns use 2 recoil springs. On the advice of a ARFCOMer I ordered a 22lb. .40 spring from Wolff... Its a single spring. A full inch shorter than what was in my gun. And its diameter wont let me use the second smaller spring. Slide is a beotch to pull back ( which is fine).. Now my question is, is it safe this way?.. I ordered the heavy spring as I cracked the slide clean through and had to have it replaced by EAA.. I usually shoot UMC thru this gun, not any of the old Norma or the Powerstrike hot loads..

What say you?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:22:27 PM EDT
Tag for later... I did this recently to mine as well, but I want to check what the stock numbers were at home before I reply.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:02:57 PM EDT
Compare the two spring types by doing as you say: pull the slide back. Do they feel similiar? If so, you should be ok, IMO. If not, stick with your OEM designed springs, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Compare the two spring types by doing as you say: pull the slide back. Do they feel similiar? If so, you should be ok, IMO. If not, stick with your OEM designed springs, IMO.

My .o2

Absolutely different... The .40 spring is a 22lb. one and you really need to tug big time to get the slide back. OEM is much easier to pull back.. I shoot this gun quite a bit, 10mm is a hot one, and I just dont want to break the gun again.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:48:06 PM EDT
Bump for the night shift.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 12:09:50 AM EDT by GenghisKhan]
I thought it was a regular sized slide. The spring in the regular slide 10mm and the .40 are the same size. If you cut it down you will need to see how far back your slide goes with the original set up and mark it with a pencil or something you can take of later and cut a coil or half a coil at a time until the marks line up.

If it lines up without cutting it (Which is what I would check first) it should be OK. The only way it would harm the pistol is if the original set up was stouter than 22lbs. Which I do not think it is. My XD has the dual set up and I am going to replace it with a single spring.

You can find out a lot about witnesses here.

http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm35
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:04:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 8:36:14 AM EDT by gmtmaster]
Wow.. I found a new gun board!! Thanks for the link.. I am safe with this spring according to those guys as there is a thread about it.. But Ill call EAA anyways.. Much obliged for the link!..

John
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:14:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gmtmaster:

Originally Posted By BobCole:

My .o2

Absolutely different... The .40 spring is a 22lb. one and you really need to tug big time to get the slide back. OEM is much easier to pull back.. I shoot this gun quite a bit, 10mm is a hot one, and I just dont want to break the gun again.

OEM spring is 8.5lbs. I put a 20lbs in mine. No longer tosses my spent brass into the next county. Full hosue loads still get chunked a good 15' though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:42:58 AM EDT
250rds. of CCI Blazer and Winchester Silvertip.. 1 failure to feed... Nice snappy recoil, and the smashing of the slide into the frame feeling is gone....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:54:32 AM EDT
So which ammo failed to feed the Blazer or the other? I also bet some extra power mag springs might help it feed more reliable if they make them. I went with the +10% in my full sized because the factory springs would not hold the slide back on the last round . I am glad to hear it is working out for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:16:40 AM EDT
CCI was trhe problem... The Blazer is usually kinda hot.. But it was the 1st mag so no biggie... Ill order a 20lb spring.. I think the 22 is a bit heavy...
Top Top