Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:46:36 AM EDT
I'm thinking really hard about getting a 1911. Most likely a Kimber TLE / RL2.
I was handling one yesterday in a gun store, and my question is this.
Do they make a slide-release extension? Or a longer slide release lever? Or whatever the lever is called that releases the slide from the rear (empty) position to the forward position? I have smaller (not girlish ) hands, and its hard for me to reach it.
Does that make any sense?

Thank in advance.
Curt
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
yes they do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They do but you should use you weak(left) hand to manipulate the slide release. Not just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you much squid.
So I should bring my non-gun holding hand (left) over to release the slide?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you much squid.
So I should bring my non-gun holding hand (left) over to release the slide?

Actually you should practice both methods + lefty when you are doing off hand shooting drills. Hopefully you will never have to use any of the training you should be doing, but if you do, you will at least be able to make an effort instead of comming up all thumbs!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Some folks don't even use the slide release.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I mainly use the 1911 for IPSC, on my pistols the slide stop does not function on purpose. You never goto slide lock in an ipsc match. If you do you just lost the stage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
yes they do, i tried a Wilson Combat Extended Slide Stop

i ended up going back to the origional
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
yes they do, i tried a Wilson Combat Extended Slide Stop

i ended up going back to the origional

+1.  I had too many first round FTFs using the extended slide release.  Now, all I do is pull back on the slide with off hand and release. Haven't experienced a hang-up since I started this...but I'm not a 'smith or firearms guru.... and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn last night either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not to claim that I know a whole lot, but +1 due to the theory that if the SHTF, your motor skills are definitely going to be not all there, especially complex motor skills, so the Army trained me to never use the slide release.  Gripping the slide with your off hand (and the whole hand, not just a finger and the thumb) is supposedly going to be easier if your adrenaline is pumping like crazy.  Can't say I ever used my M-9...  and if I had I probably would have missed anyway.  Not to mention, those damn magazines would have probably failed...  and if I would have hit the guy, the ball ammo would have hit the guy and he would have been like "Achk!  Shishkabob!!" and then got even more pissed...    Why won't the Army allow me to take my Wilson?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a training issue, not an equipment issue.

I do not recommend an extended slide stop.

The extra mass and leverage can cause it to lock the slide open on recoil at times you don't want it to.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
When you bring up the fresh mag with your left hand you sweep the slide stop down with your left thumb as you bring it back up to a firing grip.   It's very fast and positive.   I also thumb the mag release with the left so I dont change my grip.   Your support hand is there anyhow, learn to use it for more than grabbing mags.

Edited to add:  I'm not a mall ninja nor have I been in any gunfights lately.  I have however shot this way for many years and it is second nature.  My hands seem to know where to go and what to do of their own accord.   I am at the point where it's no longer a conscious thought but more a simple reaction.   It may very well fail during a gunfight but then again I might just wet my pants and run away.   I dont train for that though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to claim that I know a whole lot, but +1 due to the theory that if the SHTF, your motor skills are definitely going to be not all there, especially complex motor skills, so the Army trained me to never use the slide release.  Gripping the slide with your off hand (and the whole hand, not just a finger and the thumb) is supposedly going to be easier if your adrenaline is pumping like crazy.  Can't say I ever used my M-9...  and if I had I probably would have missed anyway.  Not to mention, those damn magazines would have probably failed...  and if I would have hit the guy, the ball ammo would have hit the guy and he would have been like "Achk!  Shishkabob!!" and then got even more pissed...    Why won't the Army allow me to take my Wilson?

In this therory how do you get the magazine out of the gun? you have to use motor skills to ppush in the little button.

2nd if your motor skills are shot, how the hell are you going to hit anything w/ a pistol for to use one requires finner motor skills than to just use a slide release.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to claim that I know a whole lot, but +1 due to the theory that if the SHTF, your motor skills are definitely going to be not all there, especially complex motor skills, so the Army trained me to never use the slide release.  Gripping the slide with your off hand (and the whole hand, not just a finger and the thumb) is supposedly going to be easier if your adrenaline is pumping like crazy.  Can't say I ever used my M-9...  and if I had I probably would have missed anyway.  Not to mention, those damn magazines would have probably failed...  and if I would have hit the guy, the ball ammo would have hit the guy and he would have been like "Achk!  Shishkabob!!" and then got even more pissed...  hy

In this therory how do you get the magazine out of the gun? you have to use motor skills to ppush in the little button.

2nd if your motor skills are shot, how the hell are you going to hit anything w/ a pistol for to use one requires finner motor skills than to just use a slide release.

I would have to disagree on both of these - the mag release button is much easier to hit/use than the slide release IMHO - takes less effort and certainly is a more natural motion, but this of course could be just me since I don't regularly use my slide stop.  And shooting accurately in general would involve less fine motor skills than hitting that slide release - more basic fundamentals drilled into you through practice.  Like Mr45auto said though, it is entirely possible practicing over and over again in the way he does works just as well since he is "at the point where it's no longer a conscious thought but more a simple reaction."  Like I said before, I've never been able to test this theory and hope I never have to.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Having an extended slide release but not overly necessary.

Here's my first 1911 with one:

On the one's that I've since got (and especially use in competition) I disable it, as frankly, I don't shoot the gun dry.  If I do, I know before I drop the hammer on an empty chamber from the feel of the gun and how it cycles.

On my carry gun, except when I carry the above, all of them have very low profile slide releases like these:

I use these pics 'cause they're the only ones that I have that show this side of the pistol, but you get what I mean.  Low profile releases.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want.  If painting your pistol pink makes you more comfortable and shoot faster and more accurately, by all means DO IT!  It is yours after all.

Take care,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top