Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 5:29:00 AM EDT
I have a   G-17  and I  got a  SS THE accesories guide rod as part of a preset.  I was going to put it in last night, but I didn't know how to get  the stock spring off the stock guide rod.  can it be done or do I  have to buy  a new spring.  The gun only has about 200 rnds through it so I  doubt I need a new spring, but if I have t o buy one i will.

Also, I got an extended slide release.   Are there online instructions for these things?

thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The guide rod is really designed more for a non captured std. spring like a Wolf or some other brand. The spring off the Glock plastic rod would be kind of a destructive process. Might work but check the ID of the spring first to see if the original would even fit over the steel guide rod.

The extended slide stop, you have to punch the trigger pivot pin out from the left side. If the slide stop is aligned properly it will push out easily, if the pin is catching on the slide stop then you can't beat it out with a hammer, jiggle the slide stop untill it pushes out easily. Only push it out part way. The slide stop will fall out, insert new slide stop, and push pin back in.

What do  you mean by left side?  What your  saying is that I just take the slide off and the  next step is to hammer out the bigger pin next  to  the trigger?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Enigma-If your THE Guide rod has a screw to go on the front then you can use the stock spring(you will destroy the plastic rod, though).  If the front of your THE is flat with no threads, then it is meant as a non captured design.  you should buy a non captured type spring.

As far as the extended slide stop, I would take it to a Certified Glock Armorer if you have never done it.  When you go to put it in, it can be tricky.  If you destroy that spring (read wire) you will have to get a new slide stop.  I don't know of anyone just selling that spring.  If you have more questions feel free to IM me.  I am a Glock armorer and would be glad to help however I can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've removed the "nipple" on the Glock captive guide rod plenty of times without issue.  Pop it into a vise, compress the spring 1/2", pry out the end with a small needlenose plier.

There is never a need to hammer any of the pins on a Glock. They all can be pushed in or out with moderate hand strength, with the exception of the one holding the slide release; that one needs to be jiggled front and aft while you're pushing on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top