Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 4:58:08 PM EDT
How does it carry?  I'm planning on getting a FL CCW (since no CCW in IL), so I can carry in neighboring IN.  I'm overwhelmed with the options out there, so I was thinking about starting out with my 82 until I make up my mind.  How do you guys get along carrying it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to carry my 83. I love the pistol, and it was very comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have carried my 82 but it is a little heavy.  I normally go with a j frame in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Like any handgun, it's size and weight can limit how you carry and what you wear. It carries just fine if you are willing to make adjustments in the way you dress.  You need a sturdy belt, trousers that fit snug in the waist, and a good holster. The Ross leather M15 open tuck seems to be a good one.
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM15PAGE.htm
I have the CZ 82 and a Bulgy Mak. The Mak carries better. The CZ holds more ammo.
Some folks will say the 9mm Mak is too weak for SD. I say it's fine, but ammo selection is limited.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't really expect to see comments about the weight, but I guess it is heavier than many options. Still, it doesn't weigh all that much. Looks like it's a little under 8 ounces more than a G19 which is a popular carry pistol.

I went from my 83 to a 75 Compact and then an HK P7, so to me the 83 weight isn't really a consideration.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some folks will say the 9mm Mak is too weak for SD. I say it's fine, but ammo selection is limited.

Yeah, I know it's not the ideal caliber, but a lot of people carry .380s, and 9mm Mak is supposed to have very similar ballistics.  Plus, Hornady make the Critical Defense ammo in 9mm Mak.

I'll probably carry it until I see if I can justify a PCR/P01.  I'm sure I'll find a reason.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry mine sometimes.  About 95% of the time it's a J frame, but when I can wear an appropriate cover garment I like the 82.  I have a Kholster (Supertuck knock off) and it works great.

9mm Mak isn't an ideal caliber, but for the size I get 12+1 in a caliber that's slightly more powerful than .380, and the gun is superbly accurate.  I can shoot faster and more accurately with my 82 than any other handgun I own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about a Supertuck.  They only list the 83 model.  Will the 82 work in a kydex holster designed for the 83 since it has a different trigger guard?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was thinking about a Supertuck.  They only list the 83 model.  Will the 82 work in a kydex holster designed for the 83 since it has a different trigger guard?

Yes, the 83 has a square trigger guard and the 82 is round, so the 82 will fit in an 83 holster.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually the 9 x 18 is a bit hotter than .380.

That said, none of the US manufactured hollow point defensive ammo has sufficient penetration to warrant using it, in either .380 or 9 x 18.

In these two calibers ball ammo is  your best bet, as it will have enough penetration to reach vital organs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the 83 has a square trigger guard and the 82 is round, so the 82 will fit in an 83 holster.

Thanks.  I emailed them after I posted that.  They emailed me back and said yes, just specify round or square.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That said, none of the US manufactured hollow point defensive ammo has sufficient penetration to warrant using it, in either .380 or 9 x 18.

In these two calibers ball ammo is  your best bet, as it will have enough penetration to reach vital organs.

That really suprises me.  I can't believe that hollow points wouldn't get the job done.  Do you have any more info on this so I can do some researching?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the ammo FAQ in the Ammunition section here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That really suprises me.  I can't believe that hollow points wouldn't get the job done.  Do you have any more info on this so I can do some researching?

It's not that it won't get the job done.  Hollowpoints just don't meet the FBI minimum penetration requirements so they're not considered to be as reliable in producing results in all situations as ammo that meets the minimum penetration requirements.

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not absolute, as my cz83 built in 1988 has a round trigger guard.  I bought mine NIB when I was in Germany in 89'.  I used to carry mine round chambered, hammer down for DA.  Mine is also in .380, I wanted to buy a cz82 back then but ATF classified them as war surplus and they were not importable back then so went with the 83.

CD

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A current coworker was working for a different LE agency and responded to a man with a knife call.  The guy charged him and my coworker shot the guy center mass in the sternum.   The man dropped the knife and threw his hands in the air and said "stop shooting me it hurts."   The guy was wearing a t-shirt.  When they checked him for first aid, he had a circular cut over his sternum and the round was found on the ground.   The department issue weapon was a S&W 9mm Luger Sigma.   My coworker quit and came to our current department where we carry our own weapons.  He carries a 1911 now.

When I worked narcotics some of the guys carried Kel-Tec and Ruger LCP.    Having read up on the ballistics several of us carried j frames in .357.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be very curious to know what ammo was loaded in that Sigma.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Federal 9BPLE
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A current coworker was working for a different LE agency and responded to a man with a knife call.  The guy charged him and my coworker shot the guy center mass in the sternum.   The man dropped the knife and threw his hands in the air and said "stop shooting me it hurts."   The guy was wearing a t-shirt.  When they checked him for first aid, he had a circular cut over his sternum and the round was found on the ground.   The department issue weapon was a S&W 9mm Luger Sigma.   My coworker quit and came to our current department where we carry our own weapons.  He carries a 1911 now.

When I worked narcotics some of the guys carried Kel-Tec and Ruger LCP.    Having read up on the ballistics several of us carried j frames in .357.

That had to have been a squib round.

Link Posted: 5/8/2011 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]
It was a good round and did what it was supposed to do by stopping the behavior.  But it could be a big surprise for a person expecting one shot can stop an aggressor.  If the guy would have kept coming I'm sure multiple shots would have been fired and would have brought him down.   Sometimes weird things happen.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a CZ 82 that I carried for quite a while. You have to shop around to find a good holster for them but I like the carry capability size and, as long as I do my part, 9mmMak is at the bottom end of what I have carried (.380 was at the bottom). They shoot well and feel good in the hand. Sights are just OK and there is a gap in the area of the rails, but they are a well made group of steel parts. The only 9mm Mak I like better is the Makarov PM. I now have some Buffelo 9mm Makl+P rounds for my PM and it carries better. I don't think that ONLY 9 rounds are a problem. It is as solid as a bag of bricks and, accurate, and a real trooper.

For serious social events, I would prefer my rifle, my carbine, or shotgun but for a handgun, while I might like a .40 or .45, having a smaller 9mm Mak semiauto as backup would be OK. Besides the little pointy things, total carry weight is also a killer. If you follow Russian PM training, the mag switch is easy and quick. I especially like they way the train with two PMs (a "Moscow reload" - firing two pistols at the same time).

Back to your question, the CZ82/83 are great carry pieces.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Always  "double tap" ! That is what I was taught. Has something changed?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]

If Illinois ever gets off their ass & joins the rest of the country I'd carry it.....its a nice well built pistol, I like the weight, & it has a smooth trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top