Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2008 7:29:52 AM EDT
I don't know why this just came up.  I guess I was just looking at my pistol and all the crap I've got on it now and trying to remember what it was like when I bought it.

Anyhow, I bought my first one (Sig SP2009) in a face to face transaction at age 20.  I was going to be meet a guy from GlockTalk in Roanoke, VA on my way from college to home.  I was nervous as hell because the first time I tried to buy a pistol from a guy in this spot he yelled at me trying to tell me it was illegal to purchase if you were under 21.  Even though I knew the guy I was meeting knew our state law and was okay selling it to me, I just couldn't stop having some strange nervousness.

On the two hour drive home, I remember I put it on the floorboard of the truck and just gave it a glance every now and then.  All the people that passed me on the interstate probably wondered why I had this goofy smile on my face.

Of course it sucked because I had to hide that excitement when I got home so the parents wouldn't find out.  I still owed them money, see

I guess that was 3.5 years ago.

Now I've got a modest 3, and the Sig is no longer in the arsenal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Buying my first handgun?

You mean the first one that my dad bought for me when I was 20 (with my money), the one I bought FTF when I was 20, or the one I bought on my 21st birthday?
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buying my first handgun?

You mean the first one that my dad bought for me when I was 20 (with my money), the one I bought FTF when I was 20, or the one I bought on my 21st birthday?

Whichever one you got to call your own first

I kind of followed a similar path.  My brother bought a handgun that was POSSIBLY going to me at age 20.  An XD9 for $250.  He ended up selling it for a little profit.    Then I bought that Sig in a FTF at 20, and then sold it to buy my P2000sk at 21.  Weird
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll tell you tomorrow when I pick up the 4 I got for my 21st .  I'm at school in NC, but I'm a PA resident.  I live in the dorms too so it's a no-go to have them here with me, plus I'm not even sure they'd allow a transfer to go through for a pistol.  But yeah, I purchased my "first" from a member on here off the EE a few weeks before my 21st birthday, a USPc 9mm, and it's been sitting at my FFL since then.  The monday after my 21st I called up Mark at Summit Gunbroker and placed an order for a G19, 92FS, and S&W model 67.  My dad also got me a Virtually/Like New H&K P7 PSP, the thing looks so good I don't think I'll shoot it (only 1 scratch and the slide actually matches!!!  Never was reblued) since we have a Grade A/Like New that we can shoot.

Though the 1st handgun that I ever got, well technically still my dads since the frame is in his name, is a 1911.  I built it myself from the frame up, fitted all the parts, and I was the first person to pull the trigger.  Talk about a labor of love too, it may never be the prettiest, or most accurate, but that gun will ALWAYS be my favorite.  To me the best thing about it, it was a challenge.  It's the first pistol my dad and I have, I had never torn apart a 1911 before let alone re-assemble one, and I didn't have a shop manual to help me.  I sat at our kitchen table with gun parts spread out working on it for about 8 hours until I got everything fit in properly and working.  When it was all said and done I had the world's biggest shit eating grin on my face .  My dad came home from work and asked me why the hell I had a stupid grin on my face, I handed him the 1911 and his jaw dropped.  He was amazed that when he left that morning that the gun was just a box full of parts, and now he was holding it fully assembled.  Even after working a 12 hour day he told me "Grab some ammo and mags, we're going shooting".  I'm torn because part of me wants to modify it, the other part wants to leave it as is just because it's my first homebuild, 1911, and pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I remember, I'm glad I matured and that feeling went away.

AB
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I traded him an excellent-condition HK94A3 for it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#7]
First time I bought my first handgun, I felt pretty shitty....

I guess it was just a mixed feeling of joy, nervousness, and anxiety.  The anxiety was the most shittiest part.  I've talked to my father for many months about picking up a handgun.  But my father is true FUDD, and wouldn't have it anyother way.  He probably shots maybe 4 rds of .30-06 through his Remington 7400 and probably 50rds of .22lr through his Marlin 60 (which he has had for at least 15 years) in a year ...

So I didn't know what kind of response I would get from him.  When I was filling out the paperwork, I could hear his voice in the back of my mind nagging me "what are you doing? why do you need it" and other pleasantries.  I was in WI at the time, so at least I had the two days to think of an excuse before telling my father.

On the 2nd day, I just told him....."wanna go w/ me to pick up my new handgun?"I wasn't sure how he would respond.  He didn't say anything.  We went to the shop and I showed him what I purchased.  It was a Springfield 1911 GI45 in the green olive gunkote.  What he said next stunned me..."thats what you got? why not THAT one?" pointing to a stainless silver 1911.  Ever since then, he basically claimed that 1911 and I went on to others.

But regardless of any handgun or rifle, I still feel kinda of shitty when I fill the paperwork and fork over the $$$$.  But I'm always happy instantly after taking possession of said gun!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Got a new S&W model 64 when I was 18, that was a long time ago! I doubt a gun shop would even let an 18 year old hold a handgun today without a parent.

I still get that feeling......
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I was happy as hell. It was a G19. I took it out the next day and ran about 500 rds through it.

I remember during the background check I was nervous, even though I have no background issues.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My first pistola was a Beretta 92FS.  Man I was excited.  Didn't get to shoot it much cause I spent the next year in Korea.  .  Got to love your favorite uncle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger super single six purchased NIB in '88

it was quickly followed by a python and a smith model 41

the addiction hasn't slowed any over the years

I still love the feeling of the first time I hold a new firearm after the money changes hands

money is just money.  A new weapon is a joyous thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I felt pretty damn good!

It was my last day of active duty, I turned in my checkout sheet, drove out the gate and straight to the gun shop.  They had done my background check the day before so I just walked in, threw down the cash and picked up my brand-new 92FS and a couple boxes of ammo.

I loaded it, tossed it in the glove compartment, and went home.

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well then...

Bought it the day after I came back from Iraq. Actually, my mom did the paperwork...

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember it like yesterday.  I bought two and wore one on each hip.  I was the *baddest* man in town.  I wore them all day, but my dad wouldn't let me sleep with them.

When I turned 18, my grandfather wandered me down to the gun store and had me pick out a .357 S&W and that afternoon all the men-folk in the clan came shooting and I joined the family of man.

Shane
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The first handgun I bought was a Walther P38 AC 42  back in 1988 I was happy as a clam

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
The first gun I ever bought or owned is my Ruger P95.  I went and picked it up while my pony keg of Woodchuck was cooling.  I got drunk and fondled my new toy.  Not the best time in my life for various reasons.  But it is one gun I refuse to sell.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember buying my first handgun in 1984 when I was 12.  I went to a gunshow in NM with my Mom and went and I picked out at Ruger GP100.  The dealer let me pick it up and look at it to see if my hands were big enough.  I gave the $$$ I had saved up to her and we walked away with it.  God I miss those days....
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My first gun ever was a 1911 milspec.  Could'nt put it down all week
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
got my CZ at a private sale booth at a gun show here in orlando when i was 20 as well.  it felt great
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#21]
My first was a Star 9mm. It made me feel safer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Broke
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine was a Colt Series 80, Gover't model.  Blued 45 auto at Walmart back in 85'
Still have her and put about 8000 rounds thru it.  Still in good shape after I rebuilt the insides.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]
My first was a Freedom Arms .454 Premier Grade. Yes its true I paid over $3k. I bought it (or my Mom bought it with my money) as a present to myself for graduating USMC Boot Camp.

The first one I bought (after I turned 21) is a Sig P220. Still pretty special to me as it was my first carry gun although its been moded a bit.

Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My first handgun was a px4 9mm.  I had to wait 4 days for the background check to go through and then I called in sick to work just to go shoot it for the first time.  Got my concealed pistol license now and no more waiting for me!.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#26]
it was a second getn glock 19. it killed me to sell it to upgrade to a new 3rd gen ,
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#27]
My first gun was almost a Jennings .45 at the huge cost of $125(I did say almost) the day I was going to buy I was at gun show with my buddy and someone had said to me, you get what you paid for. I turned around to see whom had said that any they were gone. I did a little research

While I was staying in a hotel on a business trip and a gun fight broke in that hotel. I decided that the next day I was going to the nearest gun store and are myself. After testing and holding I decided on a Ruger P90.

I am some what sad to say I have since sold that fine weapon but only to my father. So it is still in the family somewhat.

Funny, a co worker did buy a Jennings and his 9mm unloaded was heavier than my P90 loaded. That is when I knew what a bad deal Jennings were.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#28]
The First Handgun i bought i was 18 and my father made the purchase for me. It was a HK USP.45. I took all my money from basic and had him purchase it back in 2002, at that time it belonged to someone in lawenforcement, because it came with a 10 round factory and 12 round HI Capacity, thanks to the old BRADY BILL. I still have it about 7000 rounds through it not a single jam, shoots consistantly through the X every shot, and looks damn near in perfect condition for a used handgun, just gets better over time. Look at me now...ahh the memories
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
My first pistol was a Smith Model 19.  The world was new and full of unknowns, but I was 20 and loved the smell of burnt gun powder.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Geez, all you people got into pistols really late, lol.

I got my first handgun (CZ52) when I was 15.

I gave my dad one hundred and fifty hard saved dollars and we went to the gun store that had the CZs advertised in the paper for $120.

Paperwork took five minutes, browsing the Mosin '44 Carbines took twenty.

Second best day of my life, lol.

First was when I unwrapped my XD40 a year later
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#31]
well I picked all of mine up Friday last week...talk about a shit load of paperwork...didn't realize that in PA you have to do the normal form plus a special handgun form for each gun .  My FFL's wife filled out two and told me to finish the last two while she called it in, finished them just as she finished the call .  It was Christmas in October for me, although I didn't get to play with them all that much since I left to go to NY for the weekend as soon as I got home and left the toys behind.  Got to shoot 3 of the 4 on Monday with my Dad, was a pretty fun range session.

I think when I initially purchased them is when I really had that OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG KICKASS!!!! feeling.  Picking them up, over a month later, was a different feeling, still cool but different.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Same way I feel every time I purchase a firearm ... like a little kid that just woke up on Christmas morning
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]
A Glock 19.

When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like god must feel when he's holding a gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#34]
 My memory of the first handgun purchase is hazy. Now, the first 1911 - that was a *day*.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#35]
When I held the first handgun I purchased, I felt a surge of power flow through me - like God must feel, when he holds a gun.
Or not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#36]
FEG knock off browning highpower.   i knew a little about guns
i LOVED the name HI_POWER
i hated that gun

jammed every round

FTF/FTE

sold it

got abetter job an got a glock 21 .45acp

beretta 92fs 9mm

308 (hits groups @ 400 yrds in 6")

o' we were talking hand guns..........................sorryhttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture048.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture049.jpg

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/?action=view¤t=gunswithpete004.flv

street sweapers are total CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/?action=view¤t=gunswithpete004.flv
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I felt pretty good about it.

The first handgun I ever bought was an old Webley top-break revolver that had been converted to .45 ACP. At the same time, I bought my first centerfire rifle, a Marlin Model 1895 .45/70 lever-action carbine. I got them both from an old guy back in the days when no paperwork was required (or existed) to buy a firearm. All I had to do was hand him the money and he handed me my revolver and carbine.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought my first handgun at 19 through FTF on ARFCOM (and I'm still 19). I was nervous because I had never bought a gun from a private seller before, or a handgun at all. The guy was pretty nice, so it wasn't so bad. I was relieved when I got home and I had a Sig P229R .40S&W. A month later, I traded it for my beloved Sig P226 9mm, which I plan on giving to one of my kids.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
First handgun was an AMT .380 Backup for about $150.  I was a little apprehensive since at the time it was purchased, AMT was not manufacturing guns anymore, but I was on a budget and nervous that someone unwanted was going to be paying me a visit.  My SO talked me into buying it and it's been in the house ever since.  Haven't had to use it for anything other than sport, thankfully and I like knowing it's in the house.

Kind of regret buying it, though knowing what I know now about handguns and having held the Bersa Thunder .380 the last time I was at the store hat
Come to think of it.  I have some money to spare.  Perhaps I will visit the store on Monday....
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#40]
The first I bought was from an ad in the paper,  was a Ruger Blackhawk for $200

Completely inadequate for defensive purposes at the time for me, but shortly thereafter, bought a Glock 17 from a police officer I worked with when I was 19. I paid $350, nightsights, with 3 17rd mags

I felt like a good member of society.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Buying my first handgun wasn't exciting as shooting it. Unfortunately I didn't hit anywhere near where I was aiming. It was the very first time I ever fired a hand gun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#42]
my first handgun purchase was in may of 2006. i turned 21 on the 10th and bought a Sig p229 from a great member here on ARfcom.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Colt Official Police, couldn't hang alot of shit off that old warhorse.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#44]
my first handgun was a USP .45 in stainless.
my first thought while walking out was "damn, this thing is sweet!  now i need to fin somewhere to make some noise."

second thought was "this is cool, now i need a bigger gun."
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought my first rifle 1989 at age 31 and in 1991 a S&W 422 at Lafayette Walmart when I was 34 years old. I still feel like a criminal and second class citizen when I fill out a form 4473.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FEG knock off browning highpower.   i knew a little about guns
i LOVED the name HI_POWER
i hated that gun

jammed every round

FTF/FTE

sold it

got abetter job an got a glock 21 .45acp

beretta 92fs 9mm

308 (hits groups @ 400 yrds in 6")

o' we were talking hand guns..........................sorryhttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture048.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture049.jpg

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/?action=view¤t=gunswithpete004.flv

street sweapers are total CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/?action=view¤t=gunswithpete004.flv

Was it even legal for Bubba and Lord Benson (Hot enough for you Lloyd?) to put the Street Sweeper Striker and USAS 12 on the NFA as "Destructive Devices" without legislative action? Must a been done by King Bubba.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#47]
It was very anticlimactic
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]
It felt kinda nice paying for it last week, but I still don't have it (waiting period).

And since I'm .mil living on base (no rent payments for proof) with a TX driver's license (home of residence) in MD they need better "proof" I live in MD...  Apparently a copy of my orders placing me in MD isn't good enough...  So on Tues (closed on Mon) I'm going to have to give some better proof that I live in MD.

Gee... isn't it nice that the government doesn't believe that the government is forcing me to live in this cruddy state?

Oddly, back in June I bought a stripped lower w/ .mil ID, TX DL, and some orders... nothing else.  good times...
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh ya, I REMEMBER! (and it was a looooong time ago!)

I was 19 and just entering the Police Academy in Florida.  You had to supply your own handgun (revolvers only at the time).  In FL, you could be a LEO and carry at 18, but couldn't buy a weapon or handgun ammo until you were 21.  I had to take my mother with me to buy my S&W Model 28 and enough wadcutters to get me through the Academy.

I was employed shortly after, but had to continue to take my mother or father with me to buy my ammo.  Talk about screwed-up!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Ruger Single Six .22 LR single action only stainless with a 6-1/2" barrel at about age 12 or so to carry while hunting other bigger game. I carried it in a shoulder harness. Still have it and the harness and I still carry it in the field alot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top