Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2005 1:51:35 PM EDT
Do you clean your 1911 "immediately" after each range session? I usually clean mine either when I get home or the next day, regardless of how many rounds I've shot that day. For the range I use AE 230gr. FMJ 95% of the time (occassionally WWB).  The only time I don't is when I know I'm going to be using that same 1911 at the range again within the next few days. What say you?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Best to clean them while they are still warm; things come off easier.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I wipe them down after each training session, maybe a quick spray of Rem Oil, but usually fully clean/relube them every 500-1000 rounds or so. I actually enjoy knowing that I can shoot the hell out of them dirty and they still run.

I would not trust a gun that has never been shot extensively without cleaning. Sounds like you guys (dg and cj) shoot a fair amount each range trip so this likely isn't an issue with you.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My general rule of thumb for pistols is the day after a trip to the range, but I won't hesitate to go longer if I'm really busy.  I let my M-4 go until it starts acting up, and I've only put 20 rounds through my Stealth II so it hasn't been cleaned at all yet.  Of course, I wipe 'em down with a gun-rag (gun-oil for the pistols/rifle and CLP on the M-4) as soon as I'm done shooting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell No! I let mine go through 4 to 5 range sessions. that is about 2500 rounds. once I let go through about 8600 rounds before cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I go to the store and get some beer and throw it in the fridge.  Then I go to the range for an hour or more.  When I get home, I crack open a beer and get to work cleaning my gun.  It tastes great.  Just FYI...I use an Otis cleaning kit, Mpro-7 cleaner (AWESOME stuff) and Mili-Tec lube/grease.  I find this combo works the best for me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell yes, if you want a reliable 1911 it's the only way to go.  A 1911 needs to be clean and well lubed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I clean every firearm immediately after shooting it, which includes the 1911.  I am very picky on the cleanliness of my weapons.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 Hell Yes

Full Bore clean, frame rails, slide rails, wipe down barrel and bushing and re-lube both. Relube barrel link pin, slide stop and a drop of oil in the disconnector. Lube frame-slide rails, re-oil parkerizing, wipe clean and finsih with silicone cloth.
It's a thing of beauty ready for its' next trip!

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I wipe the feed ramp clean with a cloth after shooting (if it's only a couple of hundred rounds).  I leave the rest of the gun dirty until it absolutely needs to be cleaned because I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 Hell Yes

Full Bore clean, frame rails, slide rails, wipe down barrel and bushing and re-lube both. Relube barrel link pin, slide stop and a drop of oil in the disconnector. Lube frame-slide rails, re-oil parkerizing, wipe clean and finsih with silicone cloth.
It's a thing of beauty ready for its' next trip!

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/OldGI.jpg

Where did you get the GI style thumb safety?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hell yes, if you want a reliable 1911 it's the only way to go.  A 1911 needs to be clean and well lubed.

This may apply to overly-tight beauty queens, but not to a properly fitted field grade 1911. I would not own a 1911 that couldn't stand up to a little dirt and hard use.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This may apply to overly-tight beauty queens, but not to a properly fitted field grade 1911. I would not own a 1911 that couldn't stand up to a little dirt and hard use.

+1 SP10

I met a guy on my last trip to the range that has a custom STI he uses for matches and he told me that the gun is so tight that if it is dusty out while shooting the match the gun will not function properly . To me that is WAY TOO TIGHT. I want a gun that can function in almost any condition. I like to have clean weapons as much as the next guy, but if a pistol cant go the distance without pristine conditions, its a show piece, IMHO
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you clean your 1911 "immediately" after each range session?  

Nope.

Unless I'm gonna CHL that particular pistol.

I'll take a dirty gun to the range and shoot it.  But I got this thing about CHLing a dirty gun. Even though mine are 100% reliable when 'range dirty.'
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I clean any weapon -pistol or rifle- after shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This applies to any 1911.

Thats IF you care about the weapon being 100%, no questions asked reliable. Why would you carry a dirty 1911 if you did not have to?

It's just common sense to keep it clean and lubed, thats all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
with all of  the money we spend on high dollar 1911s, you should, and I do
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I clean all my guns when I get home from the range.  My 1911 is usually the first to get cleaned.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I try to clean all my guns right away, but last time I went I didn't get to clean it right away, then we went shooting two days later, and I didn't clean it until yesterday... nearly a week after cleaning it.  But I'd grate on my conscience if I put my toys away dirty.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I take mine, put in the box.  Later that night I field strip and clean it , lube it, then marine tuf-cloth the outside and put it away.

I do a detail strip every 1500 rounds or so (mostly because I like to mess with it )
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My 1911 is my daily carry weapon.  Therefore, yes, it gets a thorough cleaning after every range session.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Uhg?  After seeing that glock torture test and this.  Conflict of interests!  lol

When I get my 1911 (and as I currently do with my P99) I will clean it after each range session.  I just don't like dirty guns.  Don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I personally am a clean freak and that is my reason for cleaning every time.  I don't doubt the reliability of the gun if it is dirty, I'm just anal about it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You'll have to tell that to my Kimber.  It runs and runs after 1000 rounds of LSWC.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll clean my 1911 only when the mood strikes...
After shooting it'll get a wipe down and that's 'bout it.... When I do clean it it gets a complete tear-down and going over...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't doubt the reliability of the gun if it is dirty, I'm just anal about it.

You lost me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#29]
As soon as I get home.  They usually get cleaned within an hour or 2 of shooting, but by then they're cooled off.  I like all the comforts of home.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't doubt the reliability of the gun if it is dirty, I'm just anal about it.

You lost me.

I'll try:

He doesn't doubt that a 1911 can be reliable while it's dirty, but he likes to keep his clean anyways.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll have to tell that to my Kimber.  It runs and runs after 1000 rounds of LSWC.

Great, good for you.

Now try telling me that you would trust your life to a Kimber after 1,000 rounds without cleaning.

On second thought, don't bother. I could not care less.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You lost me.

I'll try:

He doesn't doubt that a 1911 can be reliable while it's dirty, but he likes to keep his clean anyways.

Thanks, but don't bother.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, good for you.
Now try telling me that you would trust your life to a Kimber after 1,000 rounds without cleaning.

Quite the bitter little fucker aren't you?  For christ's sake all I did was say that my gun runs just fine after 1000 dirty rounds through it.

And yes, despite the fact that you don't care, I do carry it like that.  Why wouldn't I?  It's proven to me over and over again that it functions just fine like that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, good for you.

Quite the bitter little fucker aren't you?  For christ's sake all I did was say that my gun runs just fine after 1000 dirty rounds through it.

And yes, despite the fact that you don't care, I do carry it like that.  Why wouldn't I?  It's proven to me over and over again that it functions just fine like that.

Just looking for an argument aren't you?

I love it when little punks bow up on their keyboard. You would not talk this shit if we were just across a dinner table. Well, at least not without consequences.

You can carry your 1911 with 10,000 rounds through it without cleaning for all I care, but your a fool.

My only problem with you posting this BS is that somebody who doesn't know better might think you actually know what your talking about.

Clean your damn weapon. It's not hard or time consuming.

I consider the 1911 to be the finest handgun ever made, but it does need to be clean, well lubed, and good PM to stay that way. This should be common sense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, good for you.

I love it when little punks bow up on their keyboard. You would not talk this shit if we were just across a dinner table. Well, at least not without consequences.

You can carry your 1911 with 10,000 rounds through it without cleaning for all I care, but your a fool.

My only problem with you posting this BS is that somebody who doesn't know better might think you actually know what your talking about.

I consider the 1911 to be the finest handgun ever made, but it does need to be clean, well lubed, and good PM to stay that way. This should be common sense.

Time out, children.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I've gone a couple weeks of daily carry after shooting.   It's 100% reliable dirty or clean.   It's got so many rounds down the tube I dont think it knows any difference.   Nice and loose but still pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, good for you.

Time out, children.

Children my ass.

Talk to burrito.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't clean anything but my daily carry gun directly after a range session.  They usually go several shooting sessions, sometimes on the same weekend, before a cleaning, and then it is a quick general clean and bore punch.  

No detail cleaning goes on at my ranch unless it is raining outside.  1911 or other, no difference.  However, I wouldn't take a dirty gun to a match, or to an ass kicking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Ah Dinger. Always the charmer

This thread took a somewhat predictable turn.

I guess the question is, what would BigBore say on this topic?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#40]
good grief... I leave the board for the night, and this is where you take the thread  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I clean my carry 1911 after every range trip.  This gives me the chance to inspect the gun for any broken or worn parts.   I have shot dirty 1911s with no problems, but for a weapon that will defend my life, I want every advantage I can get.

My range 1911s get cleaned when I get bored, or sooner if I start having problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh hell, you got me thinking.   Just for shitsngiggles I'll clean and lube my stock springer GI and try to log how many rounds it fires and over what period of time.   It's a very tight slide/frame fit and I'd be curious how many rounds it will fire over time before it slows up and malfs.   It's not a carry gun just a fun plinker so it's nothing critical.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Question: If left uncleaned is there any danger of the residue causing pitting, rust or corrosion?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Question: If left uncleaned is there any danger of the residue causing pitting, rust or corrosion?

Very unlikely.  Sweat is the biggest problem on a blued gun.  Usually the first place for rust to form is around the edges of the grip stocks and on the backstrap.  Stainless is not as susceptible but it will rust given enough neglect.   But powder fouling and shooting residue won't really cause problems by themselves if the gun is stored in a clean, dry environment.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Nobody is saying your 1911 is just going to just blow up if it's dirty, that would be absurd. Maybe your personal 1911 will run like a raped ape after 1000 rounds. Maybe the next guy down the line can only get 750 before he has problems. PM will also affect this. When was the last time you changed your recoil spring? Let it get old and your pistols ability to function reliably with a high round count goes right out the window. The point is that failing to clean & lube after that many rounds (If the opportunity presents itself) is just plain wrong from a military/home defense/personal carry standpoint. If it's just a fun range gun, don't worry about it. 1911’s come from so many different manufacturers with different tolerances and spring weights that reliability is a very different animal from one pistol to the next.

It's just a very good idea to keep your 1911 as clean and well lubed as possible from a reliability standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Nobody is saying your 1911 is just going to just blow up if it's dirty, that would be absurd. Maybe your personal 1911 will run like a raped ape after 1000 rounds. Maybe the next guy down the line can only get 750 before he has problems. PM will also affect this. When was the last time you changed your recoil spring? Let it get old and your pistols ability to function reliably with a high round count goes right out the window. The point is that failing to clean & lube after that many rounds (If the opportunity presents itself) is just plain wrong from a military/home defense/personal carry standpoint. If it's just a fun range gun, don't worry about it. 1911’s come from so many different manufacturers with different tolerances and spring weights that reliability is a very different animal from one pistol to the next.

It's just a very good idea to keep your 1911 as clean and well lubed as possible from a reliability standpoint.

Geez man let it go.  You made your point.  Trying to beat it into someones head with a 5lb sledge aint gonna make you any more right.... or wrong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#47]
No
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I clean mine when I can.  Certainly not after every range trip.... but I dont CCW it either.  

Mine starts to "slow" down on cycling after 500-800 rounds.... you can feel it when you cycle the slide.... and eventually it will fail to fully chamber a round... just almost get there but not lock.  When it isnt filthy... it is 100%.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez man let it go.  You made your point.  Trying to beat it into someones head with a 5lb sledge aint gonna make you any more right.... or wrong.

If my post bothers you, don't read it. I payed damn good money to learn this from one of the greatest 1911 experts/gunsmiths on the planet (Larry Vickers). Some guys might like to learn it. If you want to go ahead and carry our 1911 uncleaned and lubed after 1000 rounds that your choice. Your the one rolling the dice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If my post bothers you, don't read it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top