Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2009 9:24:17 AM EST
My wife is looking for a conceal carry pistol and is thinking about the pm and mk40s. How is the recoil on these pistols? She does not like the recoil from my Glock 23, but doe not mind the Kimber 3.5" .45.

Anyways, are the Kahr barrels heavy tapered near the muzzle to reduce recoil?

Are these too much for a lady to handle?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 10:15:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
My wife is looking for a conceal carry pistol and is thinking about the pm and mk40s. How is the recoil on these pistols? She does not like the recoil from my Glock 23, but doe not mind the Kimber 3.5" .45.

Anyways, are the Kahr barrels heavy tapered near the muzzle to reduce recoil?

Are these too much for a lady to handle?

IMO, both the 40 cal kahrs are to much for a lady to handle UNLESS she is one hell of a shooter and been around guns alot. The feltr recoil of the PM40 is awesome, the MK is better due tothe weight but both are the same size and they are the smallest 40 cals out there. IMO, buy her a PM9, she will love it to death. It will be extremely pleasant to shoot, ammo will cost less, and lets face it, once u buy it and she shoots the 40 cal and doesn't like it then you have spent alot of wasted bucks.

I have 20,000 rounds through my PM9 it is a dream gun to shoot, I WOULD NOT WANT TO OWN A KAHR PM40 no way, If you read anything about the kahrs that are negative it usually comes from the 40 calowners, be they the cw series or the P series or the PM series. #1 complaint is recoil
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 11:01:26 PM EST
yes, they do.. very snappy
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 6:34:11 AM EST
I had a PM40 and a K40 Covert. Both had heavy recoil. My PM9, Glock 26 and Glock 21 SF all have way less felt recoil and are much more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:34:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 9:40:12 AM EST by Onslaught]
I have owned the K40, MK40 P40, and PM40.

The K40 was a wonderful pistol and a great shooter. The MK40 was a little snappy, but not too bad. The P40 is very snappy and recoil is quite stout with it's slim backstrap. The PM40 was just not a lot of fun to shoot at all. Being so small, it got a lot of attention at the range and I always offered to let others shoot it, and I have had it handed back to me after just 1 or 2 rounds on more than one occasion. Side by side with a Glock 27, there was a noticeable difference in recoil, with the Glock being easier to hold on to. The Glock is snappy, but did not hurt to shoot like the PM40 could.

Of all 4 pistols, I only own a P40 now. The K40 was my favorite by far, and I regret selling it. If Kahr made a K45, I'd own one ASAP.

My wife owned an MK9 for years and she LOVED everything about it. The only reason she no longer owns it is because it was stolen from her locked vehicle on a trip out of town.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:38:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 7:41:48 PM EST by Doctorxring]

I've shot both the PM9 and the PM40. Neither are beginner's pistols.
I would recommend training with a 9mm Glock, M&P, XD, etc. for a while and
then go to one of these polymer Kahr's for a carry gun. If she's a shooter
at all, she will be able to handle one in short order.

I was surprised at how low the recoil was on both for a pistol it's
size and weight. I don't think either one has what I would call "high"
recoil. A S&W model 29 has "high" recoil, not these guns.

I would say the PM40 with 155's has +10% recoil over a PM9 with
124 grain +P. Both are smooth and accurate pistols. PM40 is my
carry choice. Very refined design on this pistol. Browning type lock-up
and low grip/barrel axis keeps recoil at a surprisingly low level. Trigger
is outstanding. Sights top notch. Great guns.

If she can handle the 3.5" Kimber, I'm sure she would be good to go
even now on a PM9 with 115's.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:53:17 AM EST
Everyone views recoil in a different way. I personally have no issues with any gun I have ever shot for recoil. I know going into shooting a 44 magnum that is is going to be powerful. I adapt for it as much as I can. I think the PM9 is about as pleasant a gun to shoot as one can get, for a woman she should love it. Besides women complaing about recol. they also complain about weight of the gun. There will be no complaints on that part , that is for sure.

I would think a 40 cal in a polymer kahr would be a burden on a women. We read about the recoil of the 40 cal kahrs from men on these forums so I would just think for a women it would be a no gun. there are women as we well know that can shoot anything to, so I am not saying all women. Again, if a woman has been around firearms alot over the years her perception of recoil is alot different to. Buy what she can control, buy what she can hit with, buy wht SHE wants, not what you wnat her to have. We make a mistake alot in trying to push our desires upon a women. Just be darn thankful that she wants to shoot and that she wants to carry. That is rare indeed and also something to be proud of in a woman to.Don't burn her out with a to powerful gun.

My wife likes my Kahr P380 to shoot and loves my G19. the P380 is now really her's with me being alllowed to s "shoot" it. I will stick with my trusty PM9..
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:42:50 PM EST
Remember - the small autos are carried as a close range defense , and you will likely NEVER NEED more than a couple
shots at less than 20 feet.

Shoot the little piece some for familiarization and do extended practice with a bigger/ heavier gun to fine tune your skills.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:10:10 PM EST
I have a mk40 and a pm 9. Although I love my mk40, trust me, trust me, trust me! I could not be more impressed with the pm9. Get 1. You will not regret it. Oh and I don't think the Mk40 is that bad of recoil, but the weight of the pm9 makes it very convenient. If your carry is convenient, it spends more time with you than it does at the house.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:34:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gargamel647:
I have a mk40 and a pm 9. Although I love my mk40, trust me, trust me, trust me! I could not be more impressed with the pm9. Get 1. You will not regret it. Oh and I don't think the Mk40 is that bad of recoil, but the weight of the pm9 makes it very convenient. If your carry is convenient, it spends more time with you than it does at the house.

u got that right
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:54:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2009 2:55:17 PM EST by txgp17]
I got a PM40, I don't think it kicks bad, nothing like my S&W 342.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:34:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By txgp17:
I got a PM40, I don't think it kicks bad, nothing like my S&W 342.

iHAD A #342 sMITH. LOVED THAT little bugger though, lite as a feather but my PM9 just stole it's place. they don't make that madel any more if u noticed. Better hold on to it. I wish I would have. Mine was pre lock era and I assume urs was to..
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:50:21 PM EST
I HAD a PM40 for a while. It really sucked. Malfunctioned all the time. The ploy frame got all chewed. The mag followers broke. The gun malfunctioned at least once a mag and it kicked pretty bad. My PM9 pn the other hand has been a completely different animal. 100% reliable. Light recoil, accurate. Awesome gun. I'm glad I got back on the Kahr bandwagon. I ;almost swore them off after how bad the PM40 was.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:01:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By 75ScoutII:
I HAD a PM40 for a while. It really sucked. Malfunctioned all the time. The ploy frame got all chewed. The mag followers broke. The gun malfunctioned at least once a mag and it kicked pretty bad. My PM9 pn the other hand has been a completely different animal. 100% reliable. Light recoil, accurate. Awesome gun. I'm glad I got back on the Kahr bandwagon. I ;almost swore them off after how bad the PM40 was.

I'm glad u got back on the band wagon to. No doubt you got a true lemon in that 40 cal. Your PM9 IMO is just the ultimate carry peace, for the extra power that the 40 cals give it seems in the polymer kahrs they have more issues than the PM9 by a 10 to 1 ratio. I do know that the 40 cal kahrs were ore prone to mag follower breakage than any other caliber they make, has tobe recoil causing it. MY PM9 has alittle over 20,500 rounds thhrogh it and I have had one "cracked" follower. and it never malfunctioned either. I caught it in time

Ihave siad this many times, If I owned a PM40 I wold definitely magna port it..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:32:29 AM EST
I have an MK9 that is all metal, and a fairly new PM9. The MK9 shoots better than any gun that size should. The PM9 is good as well, although it can be a bit snappy. Double taps are a little slower with the PM9 due to muzzle flip, but its size and weight are hard to beat for ease of carry. Both have been prefect out of the box.
I have shot a PM40 and it was not pleasant. Usually, I am not particularly sensitive to recoil, but the 40 S&W is a little much, in my opinion, in tiny subcompact guns whether PM40 or even the heavier XD40 subcompact.

Ron
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:24:16 PM EST
I have a MK40 and it is snappy. A woman who is a real shooter with strong hands can handle it. Can she handle a light weight .38 snubby? If so she can handle it.

I understand that the PM is more of a handful.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Top Top