Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2007 6:19:01 PM EDT
Anyone know if any of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines or Coast Guard carry Glocks as service arms or issue pieces?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen Army EOD and members of JIEDDO carrying Glock 19s here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
well in the August/September 2007 issue of Guns & Ammo Handguns there was an article on qualifying and showed/talked about DoD personnel with Glock 19's, Beretta M9's and Sig P228's, starts on page 48.. also my buddy from high school who is a U.S.M.C. Lcpl told me that his MTT team (Military Tactical Training i believe. they train the Iraqi's is what he told me) went to the range to fire AK's and PKM's and G17's, but he's issued a Beretta M9... maybe this is because the Iraqi's are issued Glocks... i'm not sure. so i guess the answer is some of them do, most of them don't.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cybirus55

The MTT is MILITARY TRANSITION TEAM I am assingend to one. I was down in Mosul for awhile. Now I am up around Tallifar. Alot of the contractors carrey the Glock 17 or 19. I have seen some SIG 228s and 229s over with the DOD guys.

Some of use can get our hands on the Glock 17 or 19 and use them. The Iraqi police and Iraqi Army guys have different pistols. I have seen Walther P99 9mm and some other type of 9mms. I do see the Police useing alot of Glock 17 and 19s. I also see Glock 17 and 19s being used by the army too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I doubt they were issued them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no you are correct we do not get them issued. If you are out on a MTT/LTT then you can get your hands on them. If you live on a FOB or you are with an regular unit then no you really can not get your hands them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
In the CONUS, a lot of the contract security companies (gate guards) use the G-17 and/or G-19, but at least at Ft Hood, predominantly M-9s (Beretta 92F) with an occasional SIG seen.  Even the DOD Civilian cops working with the MPs use the M-9.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Not officially.

I saw contractors carry them. But .mil was limited to Berettas and sigs mostly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Last time I was at Blackwater, there were some Army guys with HK 416s and Glock 19s.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cybirus55

The MTT is MILITARY TRANSITION TEAM I am assingend to one. I was down in Mosul for awhile. Now I am up around Tallifar. Alot of the contractors carrey the Glock 17 or 19. I have seen some SIG 228s and 229s over with the DOD guys.

Some of use can get our hands on the Glock 17 or 19 and use them. The Iraqi police and Iraqi Army guys have different pistols. I have seen Walther P99 9mm and some other type of 9mms. I do see the Police useing alot of Glock 17 and 19s. I also see Glock 17 and 19s being used by the army too.

ah, my mistake. i asked him about 10 times what it meant and still couldn't remember
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no you are correct we do not get them issued. If you are out on a MTT/LTT then you can get your hands on them. If you live on a FOB or you are with an regular unit then no you really can not get your hands them.

I know the JIEDDO guy was; I asked him point blank.  They were associated with OGA and OGA does use the Glock.

On the other hand I too doubt the Army EOD was issued them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems like those who do use them are all using 9mm Glocks. Is there a valid reason why 9mm is used more than 45 acp? I would guess larger capacity mags (pretty important in combat) and that the operator IS mostly using a primary duty weapon of some sort anyway (M4, SAW, 12 gauge...) thus making the handgun a secondary or back up weapon.

Comments?

Thanks again!

Dan
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seems like those who do use them are all using 9mm Glocks. Is there a valid reason why 9mm is used more than 45 acp? I would guess larger capacity mags (pretty important in combat) and that the operator IS mostly using a primary duty weapon of some sort anyway (M4, SAW, 12 gauge...) thus making the handgun a secondary or back up weapon.

Comments?

Thanks again!

Dan

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with 9mm being what's available to them.  Not .45ACP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Like it or not, 9mm is available world-wide whereas .45 is a lot harder to find since it is no longer the US service round for general issue.  Iraq is no different, 9mm is available everywhere.  I had issues when during Desert Stoerm, the AF issued me a .38 and I was attached to an Army unit that had a mix of 9mm and .45--no .38 available--luckily, I got my hands on a .45 so I could get resupply.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Last time I was at Blackwater, there were some Army guys with HK 416s and Glock 19s.  

Doesn't surprise me.  There is at least one unit I know of that issues G19Cs and, IIRC, G19s as well.  Granted, these guys are USASOC, but....
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]
i read of one USMC force recon unit purchasing their own G22's and a whole lot of hydrashoks, whether or not it's true i have no idea
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i read of one USMC force recon unit purchasing their own G22's and a whole lot of hydrashoks, whether or not it's true i have no idea

NO
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I had read a while back that some of the AF pilots were using Glock 19s as their sidearm.

Anyone in Blue know if this is true?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had read a while back that some of the AF pilots were using Glock 19s as their sidearm.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Not blue but i remember reading years ago that some pilots made a private purchase of Glock 19s because they didnt like the M9s bulk.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

I love the internet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

I'm going to say no.

Not to say it can't happen. But all the aircrew i've ever seen typically have the M9 or M11 (Sig, not cobray)
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

I think I heard on the interweb that some Army SEALs were packing Desert Eagles in a special .654 H&K Super Mag.   No other weapons are needed because they use smart bullets that get harder to penetrate armor, and explode in soft targets throwing the limbs in four directions to cause maximum demoralization of the surrounding enemy troops.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

I think I heard on the interweb that some Army SEALs were packing Desert Eagles in a special .654 H&K Super Mag.   No other weapons are needed because they use smart bullets that get harder to penetrate armor, and explode in soft targets throwing the limbs in four directions to cause maximum demoralization of the surrounding enemy troops.

LMAO! Classic internet story!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#23]
when my dad went to Desert storm his cobra unit had a mix of GP-100s and SW .38 revolvers. about a dozen of the pilots went in together and bought glock 19s. They passed them on to replacements or ditched them before they shipped home.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

LMAO! Classic internet story!

actually this was in SOF and in small arms review, not that they are all that credible but a bit more so than the internet, if it was just something that was on the internet i wouldn't have even remembered it. the fact that it was in 2 different publications is what made me curious as to whether or not it might be true.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#25]
kchooligan, i was actually referring ro SSN_Doc's little story about the Army SEALs with Desert Eagles in .654 H&K Super Mag.

your story actually seemed like it could have had some truth behind it... i know its already been dismissed by patriot, but... Force Recon being the Marine Corps Special Forces unit, don't they get a tiny bit of sway when it comes to what weapons they can use? like for instance i believe it was actually from the an official U.S.M.C publication that the Force Recon guys are issued Kimber 1911 .45's instead of the M9, so if that is true, why would it be far fetched that they bought some G22's for themselves?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anyone know if any of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines or Coast Guard carry Glocks as service arms or issue pieces?

Yes, some do.  Some did.  Some were in charge of buying them.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
kchooligan, i was actually referring ro SSN_Doc's little story about the Army SEALs with Desert Eagles in .654 H&K Super Mag.

your story actually seemed like it could have had some truth behind it... i know its already been dismissed by patriot, but... Force Recon being the Marine Corps Special Forces unit, don't they get a tiny bit of sway when it comes to what weapons they can use? like for instance i believe it was actually from the an official U.S.M.C publication that the Force Recon guys are issued Kimber 1911 .45's instead of the M9, so if that is true, why would it be far fetched that they bought some G22's for themselves?

I read the same claim in the article about the military looking at new handguns, most .45, it was in American Rifleman magazine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the same claim in the article about the military looking at new handguns, most .45, it was in American Rifleman magazine.

well maybe there is actually some truth to it then...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

yes, marine expeditionary unit detachment 1 is issued kimbers, the sidearm they are issued was the inspiration for the kimber warrior
ETA: sorry for the confusion cybirus55, i thought you were making another statement on my statement being simply internet BS, my apolagies
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

The last base I was stationed at issued the pilots G19's.  The reason I know this is one of them was jacking around in base op's and had a UD, and we got called.  This was back in the early 90's
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I can tell you with 100% certainty that that there are entire units in 5th Group SF carrying GLOCK 19s.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can tell you with 100% certainty that that there are entire units in 5th Group SF carrying GLOCK 19s.

Asymmetric warfare group?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, marine expeditionary unit detachment 1 is issued kimbers, the sidearm they are issued was the inspiration for the kimber warrior
ETA: sorry for the confusion cybirus55, i thought you were making another statement on my statement being simply internet BS, my apolagies

No problem kchool, it happens.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Comments?

Thanks again!

Dan

Because you cannot get .45ACP ammo from supply, as 'Big Army' does not have any .45ACP weapons....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Not blue but i remember reading years ago that some pilots made a private purchase of Glock 19s because they didnt like the M9s bulk.

If pilots have a problem with the M9's size they get an M11. If you have problems with the M11, you would get a .38. After that you're pretty much fucked.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I have personally seen several U.S. Army gate guards and MP's in the States with the 9MM Glock and I was sent to the Glock Factory Armorers course by the Army. As long as they buy fewer than a specified number,I believe it is 500, they can order other weapons for the unit. Several units here in Iraq have bought shotguns and other equipment with discretionary funds.

45B Small Arms and Artillery Repairman
Glock Certified Armorer
Currently deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top