Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/15/2013 12:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2013 12:10:54 PM EDT by PorkChopsMmm]
I am looking to pick up a 357 Rossi 92 16" lever gun. I am looking for a 357 companion revolver to go with it.

I don't know much about revolvers and I like the look and size of single actions. I have noticed the Ruger Blackhawk that is 357 and comes with a 9mm cylinder. I live out in the country and don't have a defensive pistol. Would you all go with a single action pistol? Are there any double action revolvers out there in 357 that come close to the size, utility, and quality of the Rugers?

My goal is to get into reloading for 38/357 for this combo. I am open to your advice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 12:11:56 PM EDT
Single action look cool, but a good double action is more versatile like a 686 or a model 19.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 12:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2013 12:27:04 PM EDT by SweetKnuckles]
686 and Ruger GP100 - 4" in either variety come to mind

However, when Unforgiven or Open Range come on the tube, you can bet I bring out the Stainless Vaquero as companion to my Marlin 1894.

Point being - double action probably more useful in a true companion gun role, but IMO the single action gives a nostalgia to the hike/hunt/plink session

If you're not looking for stainless - take a peek at the EMF Great Western II revos - a more faithful repro of the old Colts than a Vaq, and damned if I've ever seen a better case-hardening/bluing combo than on that EMF.

**ETA** If you're going for utility with adjustable sights (Blackhawk), I'd definitely pick up a DA revolver w/adjustable sights over a single action revo w/adj sights.
The fixed sights and single action provide the nostalgia - I don't get the same feel from a BH
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:32:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2013 2:33:22 PM EDT by Coolride17]
I've got this double action 44 smith, and only shot 4rds. thru it, all using single action. I don't like shooting a wheel gun double, but I guess when your in a pinch it could be a life saver? I don't think I'd let a single action discourage me, there pretty cool.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hotelcali/SDC10601.jpg
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 5:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2013 6:01:34 PM EDT by PorkChopsMmm]
Interesting the Blackhawk and the 686 are close in weight.

Edit: Whoa the double actions are also double the price of a single action.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 1:15:05 AM EDT
I must confess I have more .357 revos than any other caliber, both double action and single action. As a companion to a stainless rifle, you might want to consider a stainless Ruger NMBH. Then get a S&W 686 or GP100. 4" makes a very nice barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:18:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2013 5:19:37 AM EDT by Screwball]
I picked up a Ruger Vaquero Convertible in .45 Colt... with the extra .45 ACP cylinder (stainless from Davidson's). Very nice gun, and gives me the capability to shoot another powerful revolver round (also own a S&W 629-1) as well as the same ammo as my one PX4 (I have a new gunsafe on order, so I'll probably be getting a .45 1911 after that).

I do have a .38 J-frame, but I'm not a real fan of .357 Magnum. I've also heard some accuracy issues with the 9mm setups (didn't really look too hard into them, but that was what definitely moved me towards the .45, which I favored). For a single-action revolver, I really did not have a need for one... however, it is one of the guns I always wanted.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:10:46 AM EDT
If you prefer the style of the blackhawk over the GP100, they did make a .357 redhawk a while back. It's not quite as 'combat' looking as the gp100, but is still double action. A little harder to find, though...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:15:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 12milesout:
If you prefer the style of the blackhawk over the GP100, they did make a .357 redhawk a while back. It's not quite as 'combat' looking as the gp100, but is still double action. A little harder to find, though...

Those look nice. Found one on Gunbroker -- $1k!

The GP100's are closer to my price range but I have a lead on a blued Blackhawk in 357 with a 5.5 inch barrel for $375. I think I can talk him down a little bit and trade off some AR ammo to even things out. Not sure if I want to buy the revolver before the lever action, however.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:51:01 AM EDT
The fact that you're asking at all suggests you do need one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:05:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SS109:
Single action look cool, but a good double action is more versatile like a 686 or a model 19.

Absolutely
I like my Ruger (first pistol I bought 30+ years ago but it is just a PITA to load and empty brass if you are going to take more than 10 shots
About the only thing I ever use it for is pistol clases. S&W double action is the way to go . The 9mm never shot very well in the Ruger

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:46:03 AM EDT
Speed of reloading is the primary thing you give up with a single action. I have a .357 Blackhawk and it shoots great. A single action should fit right in as a companion to a lever action rifle. Speed of reloading is less of an issue if you have a rifle as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2013 11:06:38 AM EDT by PorkChopsMmm]
Thanks for the help, guys. If I can work out a deal with the seller I think I am going to go with the 357 Blackhawk. Only downside is it is blued and I was going to get a stainless lever gun. Meh, no worries.

Is there another forum or place I could look for a used leather pistol belt with cartridge loops with holster? I don't have the budget for a $200 set up and I am looking for something simple that I don't mind beating up. Any direction would help.

Thanks!

EDIT Forgot to mention I searched the EE here and couldn't find any holsters for single action pistols.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:54:59 AM EDT
I think the reason you buy a single action gun isn't for ease of loading or self protection, but rather "just because". I've never been a SA fan, but recently picked up this 1990 RBH (.357) that's virtually unfired. I too prefer stainless in this particular gun and feel fortunate to have stumbled upon it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:29:05 AM EDT
I have owned a Ruger New Model Black Hawk .45 Colt for years. I recently purchased a Rossi SS 16" model 92 in .45 Colt to be able to shoot the same cartridge out of both firearms. I really like my Black Hawk and it has almost no moving or intricate parts to break. I say get the Black Hawk.

I also have the old Model SS Vaquero in .45 Colt just to have something to different to shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:37:01 AM EDT
Good to hear your comments. It looks like the Blackhawk would make an excellent companion for the Rossi 92 but I am short on money and long on wanting. I don't have a centerfire pistol for protecting the homestead -- I just don't want to pick up the Blackhawk and then realize it might be more of a hindrance rather then help if it was really needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:51:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RUT:
I think the reason you buy a single action gun isn't for ease of loading or self protection, but rather "just because". I've never been a SA fan, but recently picked up this 1990 RBH (.357) that's virtually unfired. I too prefer stainless in this particular gun and feel fortunate to have stumbled upon it.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/rut3556/RBH_zpsbd35cacd.jpg

Yeah, I can't say I disagree with this, I bought mine "just because" (actually I traded a Ruger Service Six for it). Mine is exactly like yours pictured there. I liked the Service Six but wanted a SA since I had other DAs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 6:50:39 PM EDT by Brandi]
I have a Henry Big Boy in 45LC lever action that I pair up with my Ruger New Vaquero stainless 45LC for a great combo outdoors.

I also have Winchester 94 in 44mag that I pair up with my S&W 629 V-Comp stainless in 44mag for a combo that could stop a buffalo.

I also have a Ruger GP100 357mag in stainless but no 357 lever action.

For home defense or self defense I wouldn't recommend a single action unless you're the Cisco Kid or something. However outdoors hunting or hiking a good single action will work just fine.

If I'm somewhere I have to worry about big hogs or bears I would absolutely carry my double action 44mag. Smaller killer animals could warrant the SA 45LC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:05:10 PM EDT
I too would prefer a DA revolver over SA if it was my home defense gun.

I you haven't settled on the Blackhawk yet, you may be able to find a good used Security Six or Speed Six in .357. They are usually found in the <$400 range, and both of mine were in that price range within the last 2 or 3 years. I prefer the Security Six with their adjustable sights.

Other maybe inexpensive pistols if you're lucky and patient...S&W 66, 28-2, 19. Sometimes Colt Troopers. Ruger GP 100s have been cranking up in price recently for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:06:27 PM EDT
I bought a 45lc vaquero a couple of years ago. I need it like a hole in the head, but it is just one of my guilty pleasures. Shooting it makes me feel like an old time gunslinger, maybe like Roland of Gilead in the Dark Tower or something.... Addictive as hell to shoot, but really need to reload for the little bastard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 10:28:34 PM EDT by Brandi]
LOL, I do the same thing when shooting my Vaquero and lever actions...in my head I'm an old west gunslinger gunning down the bad guys and saving the town from evil and never need to touch up my lipstick in the process. I love the movies with the bad ass female gunslingers like "The Quick and The Dead" or the not so great "Bandidas". One of these days I'm gonna holster up, give my Stetson a tilt and go out and kill a target in a gunfight lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:53:38 AM EDT
After I get a few more guns I want I will probably start looking for a single action.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:05:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PorkChopsMmm:

Where are you looking? This was $420 in my hand of the EE.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:48:37 AM EDT
Got a 4" GP100 a few weeks ago for $399. It's an absolutely great shooter and built like a tank but, that being said, I really wanted a Vaquero.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:43:34 PM EDT
I've a few in both single and double/single. I guess dao also. Here's some stainless ones:

Some levers also:

As for your holster, triple K is an okay brand for field use and they are not expensive. MidwayUSA carries them.

For reloading, I wrote a thread on small batch reloading using 38's over in Armory a while ago. Here's the link if you want it
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/377402_I_said_I_would_write_up_my_style_so_I_did__enjoy__I_hope____.html

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:42:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
Originally Posted By PorkChopsMmm:

Where are you looking? This was $420 in my hand of the EE.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/turbotension/Picture690.jpg

I am looking on GunBroker and my state gun forum for sale section. People in the state of MI must think revolvers are cast in gold. I will try looking in the EE more often -- that price is great and that is a nice piece. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:50:08 AM EDT
Taipan01 -- thank you for the reloading write up. There is great info in there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:57:10 AM EDT
My Vaquero .45 is by far my fovorite pistol to shoot. My carry gun is a Glock .40, but love, love, love the SAA Vaquero.
Top Top