Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2007 2:08:03 PM EDT
I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in my truck.  It hold 7 rounds with one in the chamber.  How effective is this round? If I ever got into a situation where I had to use it, would 7 rounds of .380 to the chest of some cracked out bad-guy stop him? I'm just wondering if I need to start carrying my XD-40 in the truck.  It's usually on me, but I like having a weapon in my vehicle in case I leave the house without my CCW on me for some reason.

Just wondering about the .380 round.  Thanks

Link Posted: 2/13/2007 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I consider the .380 to be as low as one should go for CCW/defense purposes. If you can afford to upgrade to something more substantial, I would do it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would prefer as big a gun as possible in a truck.  Think about how easy it is to conceal in a freakin truck.
Personally I want a full size 1911, maybe in 10mm
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Paraphrasing Cooper, if you are going to carry a .380, be sure you don't shoot anybody with it.  Because, if you shoot somebody, and they find out about it, they might get angry and do you harm.

It's not that .45's and 10mm's are death rays.  On the contrary, they are weak sisters -- all pistol calibers are -- so a .380 is really minimal.  Don't even practice body shots with your .380 -- just always be thinking head shot head shot head shot.  I know it's a hard shot when somebody is trying to kill you, but if you have 7 ishots n the gun, maybe you can get 1 or 2 up the nostrils.

Better yet, get a gun in a bigger caliber, whether in a small gun or a big gun.  Kel-Tec 9's and .40's aren't that big; ditto Kahr.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Do I need to upgrade my "truck gun"?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'm piling on with the rest - most any caliber will do the job if you do your part but the smaller it is, the greater your placement skill needs to be. Plus, ammo choice becomes an even bigger issue than usual - homework is a must. When you start getting down into that power level, you might end up doing better with FMJ just to get adequate penetration. Some of the "fancier" JHP rounds might be too much for the pistol (MagSafe flat-out warns "Not for use in KelTec pistols"). Go bigger if you don't need to absolutely conceal the pistol.

My "everywhere" gun is a P3AT but that's because I'd be fired in a heartbeat if I got made. Of course, that doesn't preclude me from keeping my Glock 19 (or G30 if I'm not commuting with my wife) and a spare mag for off-body carry in my Camelbak. If I'm not in the office, the Glock rides IWB and the P3AT reverts to BUG status. If I was to keep a firearm in the vehicle at all times, it'd be a long gun. If it had to be a pistol, it'd probably be my G21 with lots of spare mags.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
... If you're insistent on carrying a .380, make sure you stick will Ball ammo and not hollow-points.

... My "truck gun" is in fact a .45 but I carry a P3AT often in warm weather. Just remember "shot placement"
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I was using a .380 (Kel-tec P3AT), but have recently realized that I needed to upgrade my truck gun. I now keep a .45 on hand. I know that shot placement is everything, but I wanted to also have a more potent calibered handgun in the truck. I would strongly consider switching calibers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
A trunk gun should be a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A trunk gun should be a rifle.

+1

I never knew a trunk/truck gun was anything BUT a rifle.

Like my USP (when I get it back from my thieving, "let me borrow that, my son" family), my AR goes virtually everywhere I go. I get home, it leaves the trunk. I leave for anything more than a run to the corner store, it enters the trunk. There are 8 mags of .75 gr TAP, 2 mags of 64 gr Power Point and I know the zero for both.

You never know when you are going to need a drastic increase in firepower whether against our four or two legged friends.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah my trunk gun is my shotgun. I'll keep the pistols on my person at all times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You can carry a much bigger gun in your car than you can on your person. I see no reason not to go as "big" as is practical. I've always dreamed of having an AKS-74U strapped under my front seat!
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can carry a much bigger gun in your car than you can on your person. I see no reason not to go as "big" as is practical. I've always dreamed of having an AKS-74U strapped under my front seat!

Good point....
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Pulpsmack's Disclaimer:
Truck/car guns are plain stupid. If You have CCW there is ZERO reason to have one. If you don't have that ability then the odds are you can't keep a loaded weapon in your car anyway, so you have very limited ability to use one. If you leave a dedicated weapon in the car, it is more prone to failure from lack of care, and the liklihood it will be stolen is high (I used to have a dedicated vehicle gun myself until this mishap knocked some sense into me).  

If you dismiss that then you are still left with one inevitable point: truck guns are stupid.

Why? Because if you have time and the ability to run to your car for a weapon that you may/may not also have to load (laws permitting) and Still need to use it rather than escape with the car, it better be a freaking semiautomatic carbine firing centerfire rounds or a 12-gauge. Only an idiot brings a gun to a gunfight when he could have brought a rifle or a shotgun.

Having said all that, the only way a truck gun makes proper sense is the following:

- ***Your state allows you to travel with a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment***, And
- You are waiting for your CCW to be processed, or
- You don't have CCW but you do have vehicle carry, and
- You take the weapon inside with you at home, or
- You have it securely locked and well maintained

If you fall into that category then you should have the most effective self defense tool you can afford and control.That should still be a carbine/shotgun. Otherwise it should be a medium/large bore handgun (think potential police-sized duty weapon).
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#16]
The .380 is fine, and will take care of most sitautions you will run into.  Caliber is almost never the deciding factor in the success of a defensive gun use incident.  Having said that, I tend to go along with most others here in suggesting a bigger gun simply because of the mechanics of the issue.  The little .380s are usually harder to use (speaking ergonomically) than a larger gun.  If you go with a larger package you can increase the terminal ballistics without any real cost to you with a vehicle weapon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
.380 is good for carry, not for truck. If you want a truck gun (I don't like to leave guns in my vehicle) then you can, and should, carry something more potent. The only reason to carry a .380 is if you can't carry something larger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Where the .380 excels is in being able to slip it into a pair of dress slacks.  Size isn't an issue in your car though.  Something like an old 4" .357 with 20% finish left seems more ideal.

I think of a "truck gun" as an old beater SKS; it's a rifle you keep in your truck to shoot things that need shooting, like coyotes going after the livestock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Use the biggest caliber you can hit with.

Me? In one of my trucks is marlin 1894 cowboy compition(shortest lever action I could find) loaded with corbon 300 grain 45 colt loads with a 20 round reload. My other truck gun is an ar carbine with 2 30 round mags. I carry a pistol(sig,hk,kimber) in 45 acp.

I figure if ya got to shoot someone ya try to make as bigga hole as possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah my trunk gun is my shotgun. I'll keep the pistols on my person at all times.

+1 - Rem 870.  The AR is a good gun, but I hate leaving it unattended.  870's are cheap and powerful.  If it rusts, it'll still go bang.  AK's or SKS might be okay as well -- if it gets stolen, it's not the end of the world.  The pistol stays on me all the time.  I hate leaving it in the car.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Leaving guns in your car is plain ol' irresponsible. 200,000 guns are stolen each year in the U.S.  Only criminals steal guns.  The shooting community as a whole is much better off by not arming criminals.  If all gun owners were law abiding we wouldn't have any gun laws at all. We would all have access to $500 full auto M16's.  Bottom line: ARMING CRIMINALS INCREASES GUN LEGISLATION.  Don't aid criminals (and anti-gun legislators) by leaving guns were they are easily stolen!

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you need to leave teh 380 in the truck and carry the XD 40 on your person with a spare mag or two.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Leaving guns in your car is plain ol' irresponsible. 200,000 guns are stolen each year in the U.S.  Only criminals steal guns.  The shooting community as a whole is much better off by not arming criminals.  If all gun owners were law abiding we wouldn't have any gun laws at all. We would all have access to $500 full auto M16's.  Bottom line: ARMING CRIMINALS INCREASES GUN LEGISLATION.  Don't aid criminals (and anti-gun legislators) by leaving guns were they are easily stolen!

Whatever....

Its his property, he will have it insured.  I keep a gun in my car.  If it gets stolen, oh well, insurance will pay for a replacement.

I think the shooting community is better off the more armed criminals there are.  That means the world is a more dangerous place, and that efforts for more gun laws will be resisted by main stream america since they need guns to protect themselves from criminals.

A 25 dollar lock box bolted to the floor is all that is needed.

Blame the victim, not the criminal, brilliant.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I myself perfer a 9mm up and personally carry a 45acp and I would upgrade , but carry what you are confortable with

MY 2 cents
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If all gun owners were law abiding we wouldn't have any gun laws at all.

This is naivety of cosmic proportions. Gun laws are a result of the State considering all of us to be irresponsible children in need of their contrived, "progressive" conflagrations and all-present guidance.

Also, if one steals something one still doesn't own it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point about the lock box, I hope everyone who feels compelled to leave a gun somewhere as insecure as a car uses one.

That's a very irresponsible "don't blame me" attitude... not really a benefit to the gun community.  R Lee Ermey once wisely said: "If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?".  Keep your shit where it can't be easily stolen!

If for no other reason than selfishness... do you really want to come back to your car and get shot by a criminal with the gun he just took out of your car?  What if you shoot him because he is armed with your gun?  How do you think the local prosecutor is going to handle this?  Do you think the cops will believe he just stole it from your car or did you "plant" it on him after shooting him in cold blood or even on accident?

I just don't see much need to have a full time "truck gun" for the average person. what's the chance you are really going to need a gun and have time to run to your car and fetch it before shooting someone in self defense?? Keep the gun on you where it should be! :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
My CCW is a .380 and I feel it fits the bill just fine.  Small enough to carry under a T-shirt and no one knows any different.  That's the point right (concealment)?  I don't want anyone knowing I'm carrying.  If the perp can see your weapon bulge, it becomes more of a liability at that point because he knows right where it's at and can make his move at his leisure to take your weapon from you when you're not expecting it.  As for power, 7 rounds of .380 to the chest at close proximity should drop most perps, or at least change their minds about making you their next victim.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you keep your guns in at home? just curious.  Because if you don't have them in something  secure enough for a burglar to  get in or carry out. You shouldn't keep a gun in the home either by your logic.

J

Absolutely I keep my collection locked up!  I'll admit, when I was younger I had a "couch gun" and a "bed gun" and a "garage gun"...  I just consider myself very lucky to never have been burglarized and lost any of my weapons.  Now I keep everything locked up in a Cannon gun safe and a Winchester "finger" safe bolted inside my dresser to store my carry guns in when not in use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If all gun owners were law abiding we wouldn't have any gun laws at all.

This is naivety of cosmic proportions. Gun laws are a result of the State considering all of us to be irresponsible children in need of their contrived, "progressive" conflagrations and all-present guidance.

Also, if one steals something one still doesn't own it.

Wow, your comment is as "far out there" as many libs I hear. That's just ridiculous.  The gun grabbers see gun violence which causes a fear of guns and a feeling of need to control guns. Like I said, if no criminals had guns (all gun owners were law abiding) there would be no gun laws. Please don't arm criminals... BE RESPONSIBLE WITH YOUR GUNS! :)
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever....

Its his property, he will have it insured.  I keep a gun in my car.  If it gets stolen, oh well, insurance will pay for a replacement.

I think the shooting community is better off the more armed criminals there are.  That means the world is a more dangerous place, and that efforts for more gun laws will be resisted by main stream america since they need guns to protect themselves from criminals.

Tarzan here is from the Secular Progressive Left lookin for another reason to blame gun owners.

WOW, how neat - every gun used by drug dealers and gang bangers were stolen out of pickup trucks and that is the reason we have gun laws???

PUUUULEASEEEEEE
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#32]
.40 cal Smith bolted to the seat. I have fast access as it is in instant reach below my right leg. I don;t have to fiddle with a cross-draw on person holster or jerking around with seat belt getting in the way on strong side draws when some fuckface is in your window at an ATM or drive through at Taco Bell. I also don't have turn around to de-rack the freakin' shotgun off the window rack, swing it around and hope I can squeeze one off before I am attacked.

I also think it is very irresponsible of one of the posters here to assume that anybody that wants a vehicle gun is negligent and supplying the criminal population.

I carry mine this way and do not go anywhere without it!

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#33]
to answer you original question that hasn’t been answered in 2 pages of bullshitting:

yes, the gun you choose will suffice for your intended purpose.

If you have a criminal on you passenger seat attacking you, and you shoot him 7 times point blank with a .380; he is going to be significantly deterred and unconcerned with continuing his attack.

Shooting him 7 times with a 12 gauge shotgun or AR, or firing 6 rounds of .44 Mag out of your 10 inch barrel will work just as well if not better.

Basically shooting a person 7 times point blank with any weapon will most likely stop an attack.

You would probably benefit from a slightly larger postol, but its not worth loosing sleep over or spending $600 on. A larger pisol would give better terminal ballistics and handling. On the downside, it would be larger and more difficult to maneuver in a tight space like a vehicle and its more likely to be taken away from you.

I stopped carrying a carbine for obvious reasons.

If I have time to deploy a carbine, I have time to drive away. Retreating from a deadly force scenario is always the best option. Basically, im done being a hero and interjecting myself into avoidable situations. If a person deploys a long arm, its usually offensively, ex. to stop a robbery or assault of a third party, not to get a car jacker away from them at a stoplight (that’s what pistols are used for).
Im done sticking my neck out for other people, carbines and shotguns wont make ME any safer while buckled into the driver seat.

Also, they're more difficult to secure in a vehicle and more likely to get stolen.

Just get a $100 lockbox that’s fingerpad activated and bolt it to the firewall of your vehicle so you can secure the gun when you're away from the truck. Then fill the lockbox with any gun that you are familiar with and confident that you can place shots with at contact ranges.

A .45 or 10mm is a great truck gun, but a .380 will make it from the barrel to the passenger window just a fast and be just as effective at making a criminal abandon a car jacking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I keep a PA63 as my truck gun- $120 for a 9x18Makarov caliber gun.  It stays locked in a cable box from Center of Mass.  It's not a vault, but it is pretty decent and should stop a smash and grab type theft.  If the guy has tools to disassemble my seat then he's going to get it though.  I would have prefered a console vault, but they don't make one for my truck.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever....

Tarzan here is from the Secular Progressive Left lookin for another reason to blame gun owners.

WOW, how neat - every gun used by drug dealers and gang bangers were stolen out of pickup trucks and that is the reason we have gun laws???

PUUUULEASEEEEEE

Wow, your reading comprehension is horrible!  First it's "Armin Tanzarian" (Principal Skinner's real name on "The Simpsons"), not "Tarzan". I am a principal in real life and always got a kick out of this Simpson's character.

Second, you obviously didn't understand what I posted. Please go back and re-read my posts.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
.40 cal Smith bolted to the seat. I have fast access as it is in instant reach below my right leg. I don;t have to fiddle with a cross-draw on person holster or jerking around with seat belt getting in the way on strong side draws when some fuckface is in your window at an ATM or drive through at Taco Bell. I also don't have turn around to de-rack the freakin' shotgun off the window rack, swing it around and hope I can squeeze one off before I am attacked.

I also think it is very irresponsible of one of the posters here to assume that anybody that wants a vehicle gun is negligent and supplying the criminal population.

I carry mine this way and do not go anywhere without it!

www.sunriseeagles.com/concealed/expedition/100_1934.jpg

Wow, that's a nice rig! Good work!

I never said it is negligent to carry a gun in the car. That's what carrying is all about.  Leaving guns in unsecure places asking to have them taken from you by a criminal is negligent.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#37]
i wouldn't carry a .380, like most here 9mm is a minimum.

also mentally i prepare myself that my weapon will not stop an attack, and that while i'm counterattacking i need to be looking at other options- whatver else there is.

that way if i shoot and he drops it's a pleasant surprise. the opposite of that is you shoot the guy with your .380 with an expectation that he's going down, when all you have is a bleeding, enraged crackhead that's still attacking you.

upgrade-  a lever action rifle is a nice trunk gun, relatively quick follow up shots and doesn't raise eyebrows as much when it gets spotted.

i rarely carry a truck gun.  i drive a tundra access cab- the rear seats fold up, which is a perfect little slot to keep my AR in.  i only do this when i'm taking a late night drive through meth country, it works, but i don't ever just leave it there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I didn't read the whole thread, but here is my thought: If the truck is carrying the weight, get a real gun. I have a Sig .40 I scored on the cheap in my truck, and I should have a Glock 34 or a Glock 20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top