Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 6:32:35 PM EST
I dunno whats gotten into me, but Ive suddenly got a desire for a .50 AE in nickel finish. Anybody have one that would like to share some thoughts before I spend $1000+ for something I cant CCW without a heavy jacket and suspenders?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:43:45 PM EST
I don't have one, but worked at a gun range for a number of years and saw a bunch come through. I've never seen one function reliably, but I've only seen the 50cal and 44mag versions. I have read other post online of people having 100% reliable guns (if you trust the post), so maybe the quality is just hit and miss.

IMO, they're cool looking and make a big noise, but are just "fun guns" that I would never trust my life to.

Just my 2 cents....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:00 PM EST
I tend to agree... QC looks like hit or miss... but of the horror stories I have heard, it seems like the .357 is the one that will offer the most reliable service.

My $.02
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:36:24 PM EST

Fun as hell to shoot. Not very accurate. Great watermelon and gallon water jug busters. Love mine glad I bought it but would never trust my life on it. I had some feed issues with mine but they were mag related. Ammo is spendy also $20-$25 for 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:31:20 PM EST
The DE 50AE is a one gun NOT for the recoil sensitive, to me it was pretty punishing. If you do decide to get the 50AE, you should learn how to reload that round, factory loaded rounds are about a $1 a pop. The weak part of the 44Rem Mag DEs is the gas piston. It breaks after a something like 2,000 rounds and costs somethig like $40 to replace. I've also had feeding issues with my 44 DE also, even thought the mag is fully seated, it still has about 1/4" of play in it, and if you push on it during firing it will cause a feed mal-function. Don't know about the 50AE version though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:34:21 PM EST
Its expensive, uncomfortable and extremely unreliable. Avoid it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:55:36 AM EST
I fooled with a .357 mag version. Never shot it but I handled it and watched the guy shoot it. He had no problems and it was 2 weeks old. He was shooting up a bunch of .357 he bought for a traded S&W revolver. They were handloads and +P stuff. Seemed to handle it ok and didnt look like it kicked harder than a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:16:56 AM EST
Had one sold it after 2 months not a great weapon ,but looked kool. I love big bore's and have a Freedom Arms casul 454 ,and a S&W 500 both are perfection in every way . the DE was a over priced boat ancher that was NOT reliable .
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:41:45 PM EST
Ive also heard about the .357 being the only really reliable version out of the bunch, but I want the .50 AE just for the fact that it is what it is, like most of my guns. I shot over 150 rounds at a time through my Ruger Super Redhawk .454, I think Im getting pretty numb to heavy pistol recoil. Anybody know of any gunsmiths that have done work exclusively to make the DE's more reliable?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:45 AM EST
I love getting smacked between the eyes with the brass....fun....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:23:30 PM EST
I have shot my brother's in 50AE. His was reliable. Its quite noisy and hard kicking - not really something you can shoot all day, not to mention the cost of the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:37:13 AM EST
I had one for about 3 months...It was an accurate gun, but the shooter is the weak link, everyone tends to flinch. I had very leading feading problems, but the most of the ones I had were with Speer Gold Dots(i noticed on the Gold Dot .50AE that the OAL of the rounds varied, so much so that some would catch in the mag). And it was fun as hell to shoot, I didnt think the recoil was punising. The reason for sealing it was becase as mentioned before, sometimes on some guns the brass will hit you in hte face. Now the .50AE brass is pretty heavy and was known for leaving "half moon" cuts on my face.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:19:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 9:20:32 AM EST by DmL5]
Here is a great DE site with a lot of info: www.zvis.com/dep/dep.shtml
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:32:18 PM EST
I owned a Mark XIX .50 AE, one of the first built in the USA. Over the course of 6+ years I fired more than 8k rounds, no breakage of any kind. Springs will be required between 2-4k, this is to be expected.
These firearms are VERY accurate, other than the normal jerk on the trigger. I totally disagree with the above statements claiming differently.

YMMV.
Top Top