Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2005 9:22:09 PM EDT
I have heard that the Desert Eagle Pistol doesn't cycle well with certain rounds. Is this true? How well does the gun shoot?

I am considering buying as kind of a show piece, as it's not practical in the least bit. I would still like to run some rounds through it now and then.

Also, how hard is it to rack the slide, and how much bad is the recoil with the .50 cal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard that the DE doesn't cycle very well with any round....

This is just what I heard though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have heard that the Desert Eagle Pistol doesn't cycle well with certain rounds. Is this true? How well does the gun shoot?

I am considering buying as kind of a show piece, as it's not practical in the least bit. I would still like to run some rounds through it now and then.

Also, how hard is it to rack the slide, and how much bad is the recoil with the .50 cal?

IMI/MR instructions warn against using Wolf ammo in the BE. They're right. The same probably goes fot the DE. I fed my BE with 9mm Wolf( polymer coated ), within 150 rounds of use, I began experiencing problems.Don't go cheap on ammo on a not so cheap firearm such as the DE, I would contact Magnum Research to get the best answer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Information on what ammo will work comes with every  Desert Eagle N.I.B., but the use of less than full power rounds is not recommened...I have a .44 and have never had a failer to feed, go boom!and go boom again using 240 JHP's, but anything less will stovepipe
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're getting the .50AE the only ammo you'll find will function in it, since it's basically the only gun that the ammo is made for!

You're not going to find Wolf .50AE!!  

About the only concerns with ammo are:  Full Power, and good thick jackets on the bullets if you reload.  It will rip through thin jackets on stuff like Rainiers and start leading up pretty quick.

But again, with the 50 you have a choice of Speer and uh....Speer.  Hornady might have an XTP in .50 now that the .500 is out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot speer 300gr gold dots out of my 50ae, I've had 3 stove pipes on a fresh magazine as I gently let the slide go forward

dont know why, usually dont have a problem, only every now and then. The round just doesnt pop out of the mag like usual and it jams

quick fix is to yank the mag out, slap it back in, pick up the round, rack and go

I guess maybe being a pussy with it causes malfunctions

also keep your wrists solid or it will torque over and give you brass in the forehead
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I also shoot speer 300gr gold dots out of my 50AE and have had -0- problems. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. Mine cycles smoothly and has never fail to lock in battery or to eject and lock open on last round.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I think too many people try to shoot garbage ammo out of these guns and expect them to cycle fine.  Crappy ammo makes my baby Deagle jam 1 out of 10 rounds, but I fired over 1000 round of Winchester rounds without cleaning my pistol and had 0 misfeeds.
The .44 mag and .50 AE Deagles I rent at the range haven't been cleaned in years and they both feed fine on American Eagle and Samson.
- Nealio
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shoot speer 300gr gold dots out of my 50ae, I've had 3 stove pipes on a fresh magazine as I gently let the slide go forward

dont know why, usually dont have a problem, only every now and then. The round just doesnt pop out of the mag like usual and it jams

quick fix is to yank the mag out, slap it back in, pick up the round, rack and go

I guess maybe being a pussy with it causes malfunctions

also keep your wrists solid or it will torque over and give you brass in the forehead

Thats the problem, don't gently let it go forward. pull that slide back and let it slam home. Riding the slide is a sure way to induce a misfeed in any gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Just don't shoot cast rounds.  The DE is gas operated and is best used with jacketed rounds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thats the problem, don't gently let it go forward. pull that slide back and let it slam home. Riding the slide is a sure way to induce a misfeed in any gun.

Cant make myself do that... no matter how hard I try and knowing full well that actually pulling the trigger is a million times more violent, I usually cant just rack and go
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't shoot cast bullets in them.  It will cause the gas system to lead up, and the gun will eventually jam up so tight that you'll have to take a mallet to get the slide open.

Don't ask me how I know
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have only used USA white box 240s  and have never had a malfunction of any kind. I am always surpised when I hear that peoples DE's jam a lot.  I do not have a bad thing to say about them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with people here.

The Desert Eagle is a fun gun to shoot, but it is also a gun that is heavy, and it is gas powered, which means, don't go for cheap ammo, use the ammo that Magnum recommends, and you won't have a problem.  I tried to do this myself, by buyin ammo, that someone told me would work on the Desert Eagle at a gunshow.. and guess what, the worst ammo ever.

The Eagle is not a cheap gun, and if you are on a budget, don't expect to shoot this gun on a budget, it does cost money to shoot, but it is a lot of fun.
I have a 44 mag Desert eagle, but I will be purchasing the 50 AE slide soon, so that I can shoot both 44 mag and 50 AE out of the eagle by swapping out the slide and magazine.   So, in reality it's like buying 2 guns in one.

Docfate
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just don't shoot cast rounds.  The DE is gas operated and is best used with jacketed rounds.

Cast bullets lock up a deagle like nothing else. My buddy had that problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top