Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 5:37:28 PM EDT
Would anyone know how Delta Airlines are about checking in Handguns when flying. I have herd some airlines are better than others.
Thank you
Keith
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't flown on Delta since 9/11, but before that they were great, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard policy for all airlines (FAA rules) is that you notify them at a minimum of 24 hours prior to your flight that you are going to "check a firearm in your luggage".  Ammo can not be in the same suitcase.  Firearm must be in a locked (or is it lockable) plastic case (like the one the gun came with) unloaded.  The rules will vary from airline to airline but that is the basics for all of them.  Plese consult your travel agent for more information.  Chances are they do not know either but you can have them do the leg work for you.  Or call the airlines direct.  If you do talk to either your travel agent or to the airlines directly make sure you get stuff in writing.  This way you know the person you are talking to is not just making up stuff.

BTW:  I know several people that have checked rifles for hunting trips onto Delta flights without any issues as long as they followed the rules.

Delta is founded and run out of the South so they are more likely to be gun friendly then an airline out of the New England or Califorina.

Ballz
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that 24 hour notice rule new? I've flown a couple of dozen times with firearms (handguns and/or rifles) and never gave any sort of advanced notice to the airlines. Never had a problem.

My favoorite rule is that ammo must be in it's original box.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard the one about 24 hours either.  I do love the one about the ammo in it's box.  I have heard that one.  Makes a lot of sense, huh???  I'll never forget the female ticket agent at Philly drooling over my Sig P220 and Ruger P90 when I opened the case to show her they were empty.  I mean she was all atwitter, talking about how she liked the way they looked, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top