Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:20:49 PM EDT
Just wanted to get a couple of opinions from the experts.

Here's my situation: As far as pistols, I have a Keltec P32(being sold this week), a Glock 27 and an HK USP tactical. In two months, I will be facing a 4/5 reduction in income lasting for the next 4 years and will have very limiting shooting funds. Also, I'm moving from a state with CCW to a state without CCW permits. I want something that's fun to shoot, utterly reliable, and preferably in 9mm(cheap ammo).

So... I was thinking of selling the Glock and taking the money from the Keltec and buying a HK USP compact in 9mm.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
get whatever "fits" your hand better.  Whether its a Glock or an H&K, its really a matter of "fit for YOU" not an Expert (they wont be shooting it!)  They are equal in reliability and accuracy out of the box.  Glock is probably cheaper in terms of mags/parts than the H&K.

Really this is a tomato to tamato kind of thing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Provided you have no preferences on what you keep, your plan sounds good.  I'd sell the Glock as it will be cheaper to buy another later than it would the USP tactical.  The reduction of income will make it hard to buy a high-dollar gun like the USP/tactical in the future, and since you own it now, you might as well keep it.  

I would probably go the same route as you and buy a 9mm, though probably something other than the HK just to have more variety.  Something like a Springfield XD, CZ-75 or a Browning HP would be pletny fun to shoot and far cheaper than the HK.  But if you like the USP there's no reason to not to get another.  

Another alternative if you're income is being reduced by 4/5 (whoa!), is to buy a cheap reloading set-up.  Everything you really need (none of the super-dolomite set-ups, but just basic stuff) is dirt cheap and you can find it used even.  About 80% of the cost of .45ACP is for the brass.  I don't know how the USP is on brass, so reloading may not be an option, but it will cut costs and leave you all sorts of money in the bank.  Money in the bank is always a good thing, especially with such a drastic change as your's.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Love my new HK 9mm compact.  Its accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.  I also just got the Tac, man that is a mean looking gun!  However, the compact sees much more range time because it costs 1/2 as much to shoot. I think with these two, you will be looking good.  Other 9's on my list would be the Walther P99 or a 92f.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally the Springfield XD is next on my list.

If I were in your shoes I would also carefully check out the CZ-75.  Plenty of hi-cap mags available too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, lots of good ideas. I'm thinking about keeping the Glock and buying a CZ-75.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good plan (CZ75). Longer sight radius can mean a more rewarding range session. In reference to your new non CCW state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top