Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 8:48:33 PM EDT
I recently sold a pistol that I didn't shoot much anymore. Since it would be wrong to have one less net firearm, I intend to buy another. I have over a dozen rilfles, but not that many handguns. I have carried the same GLOCK 19 for years and have no intention of changing anytime soon. I also have a couple Ruger .22 target pistols and a Kel-Tec P-32 I usually cary as a back up gun.

I have all but narrowed down my choices to three handguns. While being very different, these three are all in the same pice range. They are a used GLOCK 26, a S&W 642, and a Witness full size all steel 10mm. The GLOCK and the Kel-Tec would serve as a more powerful BUG, and could also be easily tranistioned into a primary carry gun for my wife if she gets her CCDW permit.

The G26 posseses the obvious advantages of capacity, power, and shootability over the J-frame. Also the GLOCK is able to use my rather immodest supplies of GLOCK mags and 9mm ammo. Perhaps most importantly, it opertates in the exact same fassion as my G19 and negates many of the issues of mastering a new weapon.

The .38 has it's advantges as well. It is lighter, slightly smaller, and could easily be dropped into my coat pocket or my wife's purse without the need for a holster.

The 10mm also would have its own purposes. Not the least of which are  #1. Shits and #2 Giggles. It would be almost exclusively a "fun gun." Since trading off a S&W 1006 years ago, I have always wanted another 10mm, just for the hell of it. The Witness is too big and too heavy to carry everyday, but would be a literal BLAST to shoot.

Decisions, decisons...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
i'd go for the 10mm....h/w, if you really want to change your BUG, go w/ the G26 (like you said, everything you need, you already have for it)

revolver: .357mag
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace the P32 with the G26, since the G26 offers so many advantages as your BUG in conjunction with your G19.  From there, since you're still down a gun, get the Smith.

-Frank
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest that you get the one your wife will most likely carry in the purse she likes and carries daily.  That is, of course, unless she's willing to get new purses to solely accomodate her CCW.  In that case, I would say go for the G26.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the Glock 26. You have the '2000=Glock mags, 19=Glock mags, and the 26 of course takes golck mags. You would have 3 weapons that accept the same magazine. This would be cost efficent because you wouldnt have to be many more mags and you wouldnt have to add another caliber to your buy list when you run out. Like you said you wouldnt have to learn to use another type of firearm and your wife could use it.

I think it is obvious: the 26
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ruled out the Witness 10mm for now. Although I would still like to get a 10mm someday, serious guns have to come before fun guns.

If I was geteing the gun just for myself, I would go with the G26. It is the easiest to shoot, all my G19 mags, and most of my holsters will work with the G26. However, my hope is that my wife will like the gun enough to carry it herself. I think something a little smaller with a thinner grip would be better for her petite hands. I have been thinking about it some more, and I would really like the Kahr PM9. It offers many of the advantages of both the G26 and the Smith 642. It uses the same ammo as my GLOCK and operates in a similar fashion. It is also the same weight as the 642, but thinner and slightly shorter. It is small enough to use as an ankle gun or for my wife to carry in her purse. I think the more manageable recoil and lighter trigger would be two more reasons she would like it better than the 642. The two major drawbacks are the price of the gun itself, and the $45 six round single stack mags. I might look around for a good price on a used Kahr before I buy the GLOCK or Smith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top