Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 6:37:56 PM EDT
I picked up my new DW Commander Classic Bobtail on Thursday.  I have always loved a plain slide with no markings and the DW markings are just a little... goofy.

So, I removed the markings.

All you do is take some 220 grit sandpaper and, working along the slide, rub down the markings until they disappear.  Then, you need to put a sheet of the sandpaper on a flat hard surface and drag the slide in ONE direction across the paper, lift it, and repeat.  DO NOT push and pull the slide across the paper for this step of the process.  Keep going until the rub marks are gone and the slide is back to normal.  Make sure you keep the slide nice and straight each time you push or pull it across the sandpaper, that way the brush marks will be nice and straight on the slide.

Here is a comparison of the slide to the untouched frame.  Those are pieces of lint, not marks in the slide (damn Macro settings)

Here are some close-ups of where the markings once were.

Now a review:

The pistol is fantastic.  The fit and finish are the best I have ever seen.  The slide to frame fit is tighter than all 3 Kimbers (Classic, Tactical, and TLE/RL) I have owned, the Kimber CDP that I have shot, and the Wilson CQB that I have shot.  When cycling, it feels like the slide is on roller bearings.

The trigger is fantastic.  After detail stripping the pistol, it is clear that it isn't just a production line firearm that is boxed up and shipped.  The bottom side of the extractor on the claw end has been chamfered by hand (extra work during inspection, I assume).  The sear, hammer, and disconnector were hand polished and it is clear that some quality work went into the trigger.  The grip safety fit is excellent.  The bushing to bbl fit is very tight.

Overall I am very pleased with this handgun.  Street price is currently around $850.

I will post a range report as soon as I get out to fire it.  So far, I have only hand cycled some Win. Ranger HP's and have had no problems there (more than I can say for 2 of my Kimbers).

ETA:  This is a Series 70 style 1911.  There are no extra safeties.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice ,good job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top