Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2005 8:34:52 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have some questions on the Delta Elites. I've tried to search out the answers on other sites but so far not much luck. I am seriously considering buying one of these bad boys, but I need some knowledable input. I can remember back to the day when these were new and I really wanted to buy one, but I was too young and lacking the $$. I wish that I could jump in the ol' time machine!

Anyways, as far as I know, there were two different versions of the Delta.."regular" and the National Gold Cup, what are the differences between those two? Are there any versions of the Delta's that I should be on the look out for, either to seek out or to stay away from? I've read about guys replacing the spring set-up with a rod..is that a problem or is it just a performance upgrade? What other problems exist with these?
I'd like to find one that is as complete as possible..original case/books/factory mags etc.,etc..What is the average going price on the two? I've seen some as low as $700 and as high as $1500. I'd really like to get a SS Delta with the original grips.

Would anyone have any links to Delta websites, reference pages for noobs? Could you Delta owners please post pics of yours to "show-off"
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several standard Deltas, and some special editions.  

Basically, there were the original Deltas, which are in MKIV Series 80 configuration.  They differ from a standard 1911 by having a commander style hammer with a round hole, and Colt's relieved grip safety.  They have a dual recoil spring set up with a guide rod that has a buffer in it.  

Then there are "Enhanced" Deltas.  These have Gold Cup styled slanted cocking serrations, a flat top ribbed slide, a different roll mark, a frontstrap with an undercut under the trigger guard for a higher grip, a beavertail style grip safety, and a commander hammer with an oval hole.  

The Delta Gold Cup is basically like the "Enhanced", but with a wider Gold Cup trigger, Gold Cup sear, and a Gold Cup rear sight.  

I won't even get into the special editions.  

The guide rod replacement is common because the original unit breaks under continous use.  King's makes one of the better kits.  However, many will go to an all steel guide rod, with a replacement spring.  The dual factory springs are rated at 23 lbs., and most people I know run 24 lb. Wolff springs.   I've run up to 26, but had functioning problems with those.

Price for a regular non Enhanced Delta would be around $700 for one in good condition, higher for a LNIB or NIB gun.  I see them as low as $500 for beaters.   Enhanced ones are a little bit more, and the Gold Cups are usually $1000 to $1200, depending on finish and condition.

Here are a couple Delta pics:

Link Posted: 3/4/2005 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]
great info, thanks hobbs!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Could you Delta owners please post pics of yours to "show-off"
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

I would but someone beat me to it. Looks just like the one in the middle.

Best $400 I ever spent. 'Course that was like "89"???
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Delta Gold Cup is basically like the "Enhanced", but with a wider Gold Cup trigger, Gold Cup sear, and a Gold Cup rear sight.  
Price for a regular non Enhanced Delta would be around $700 for one in good condition, higher for a LNIB or NIB gun.  I see them as low as $500 for beaters.   Enhanced ones are a little bit more, and the Gold Cups are usually $1000 to $1200, depending on finish and condition.

I'm not a Colt Delta expert, but the factory 45ACP Colt Cup 1911 comes with Colt Ellison rear sights. The Delta GC comes with the Accro rear sight which also on the Pythons. Those two sights looks the same, but the the Ellison sight has finer clicks.

At the time when I first bought my Delta Gold Cup, I had no idea that it would become semi-collectible, with the ensuing price run ups.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
How fortunate to have this topic already posted...

I just bought a stainless Delta Gold Cup in beautiful condition (this thing has either seen only a few boxes of ammo, or was simply maintained by angels) for $750 ($817 with taxes and paperwork) from a local pawn shop.  I know I did well regardless, but I'm just wondering, which finish is worth more, blued or stainless?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Stainless is worth more by a bit.  You stole that gun.  Good for you!  Now find a digital and show us some pics.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How fortunate to have this topic already posted...

I just bought a stainless Delta Gold Cup in beautiful condition (this thing has either seen only a few boxes of ammo, or was simply maintained by angels) for $750 ($817 with taxes and paperwork) from a local pawn shop.  I know I did well regardless, but I'm just wondering, which finish is worth more, blued or stainless?

Yeah, you scored an excellent deal!

I paid $650($725, tax & paperwork) for my NIB DG back in '92. I know Colt charges more for the SS version.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top