Posted: 1/19/2008 6:03:36 PM EDT
Please help satisfy my curiosity. What's should I be aware of about the DA HiPower, full size or compact, before deciding that there is a void in my safe waiting for one of these?
Although FN Browning named it the Hi Power DA (also DAO, BDA9) it has little in common with the original Hi Power.
1. Parts- Parts for a DA/HP-DA/BDAO will be a little more difficult to find than for a regular Hi Power. I believe Browning discontinued importation quite some time ago.
2. Magazines- Mags for a regular Hi Power do not fit the DA models. Good luck finding factory mags for less than $50 each.
3. They are a quality handgun, but definitely one of those that never seemed to be popular.
4. If you REALLY want a Hi Power with DA appearance- get one with the SFS (Safe Fast System) It allows you to carry hammer down with the safety on. When you thumb the safety off the hammer springs back to full cock ready to fire. To put on safe, simply push the hammer down. The HP retains the same single action trigger pull for each shot.
5. If you REALLY want a compact version, consider the Detective model from FM. Internet rumor is that they go through recoil springs pretty fast. The FM Detective slide simply replaces the normal HP slide.
Good info. Thanks
Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!
You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.