Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2002 12:39:02 PM EDT
Some folks can get really creative when they can't find a replacement for a broken part, or are out in the field with only their Leatherman.

The craziest thing I ever did was to make a firing pin for a Davis .380 out of a piece of steel rod, using a hand drill and a file. Hey, I was really bored, and didn't mind a challenge. If only I'd known how to heat-treat it. Then again, I guess if the owner hadn't been firing 9mm Luger out of it, he wouldn't have broken his original firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:22:20 PM EDT
Lost a P-38 front sight years ago (all my stories are years ago) and made one from memory out of key stock and a file. Took 3 days to finalize it, it worked. Had an early Dan Wesson revolver and a later model barrel that wouldnt fit/work because the design was totally changed. Fabricated up an adaptor plate to mate the new bbl. to the old frame. It worked too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:06:28 PM EDT
Not really a repair but a modification of sorts. I wanted to put a magazine extension on my Remington 870 Express and found out about... "the dimple." Later I was messing around in the garage when a light bulb went on over my head. I found a Craftsman socket that fit in the mag tube perfectly. So I hammered it in there and backed it out with a ratchet several times. The dimple was pushed out almost all the way and the rest was smoothed out with a Dremel tool. Bingo! A smooth magazine tube and I didn't have to drill a hole in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:18:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2002 11:54:19 AM EDT by ken_mays]
I recently disassembled my Kahr K40 and was having a hell of a time trying to get the trigger assembly back in. It seems to require four hands at minimum. I finally decided there wasn't any way to get it back together without some sort of slave pin, so I took a similar-sized nail and used the ol' bench grinder to take it down the proper size. I Dremeled it to the right length and it worked fine.

After going through that mess it occurred to me that it might be a whole lot faster to just buy the cheapest, biggest Chinese drill bit set I could find. Then I could just pick a close-fitting drill shank, and hack off the cutting end with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:11:33 AM EDT
This would fit into "tricks & tips" department...having had a few guns with loose plastic grips, a hot needle applied in the right spots will build up the undersized area. The latest was a P-89 with loose grips. Applied hot needle to the area around where the screw head tightens and now they are snug. Also...using a tiny "o" ring on most any grip screw will allow you to "stop" the slot in any position and will keep screws from loosening up. (you knew that)
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:57:13 AM EDT
Used a finish nail to put the link back on the barrel of a colt Series 70. Was in the field and found the nail in my truck. worked fine until I could replace it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:17:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:41:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TylerDurden:
Craziest gun repair you've ever attempted?

I am not crazy enough to post it here

Tyler

Okay... then let's hear about the craziest repair that friends of yours (wink nudge) have tried.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:58:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
Not really a repair but a modification of sorts. I wanted to put a magazine extension on my Remington 870 Express and found out about... "the dimple." Later I was messing around in the garage when a light bulb went on over my head. I found a Craftsman socket that fit in the mag tube perfectly. So I hammered it in there and backed it out with a ratchet several times. The dimple was pushed out almost all the way and the rest was smoothed out with a Dremel tool. Bingo! A smooth magazine tube and I didn't have to drill a hole in it.

I did the same thing myself years ago, couldn't ever get the magazine cap back on or the extended tube...
Top Top