Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 2:12:19 PM EDT
Hello

I just purchased a used Glock 19 at the local funshow today and while giving it a cleaning at home I noticed that the locking block was cracked all the way through.  Didn't notice it at the show  Would this still be ok to shoot with?  I'm hoping to get a replacement this coming week, but am anxious to shoot this puppy

Thanks
BK
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a glock armorer, but I would say "Don't."  It is my general understanding that the locking block is the only piece that the upper uses to stay anchored on the lower.  

With that tid bit, use this as a chance to upgrade that part.  They make ones that are much stronger than the factory part.  Take the time to also pick up the maritime spring cups to allow you to fight of the sharks underwater.  I put an extended slide stop on mine and LOVE it.  I also added an extended mag release and a back channel plug.  All are worth while additions in my book.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't shoot it
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldent shoot it, but I'd bet it would function in a pinch.  

Moss, you're incorrect about the locking block.  The slide, or upper as you call it, is mostly held on by the rails which are molded into the frame.  The locking block's function is to capture the barrel extension and pull the barrel down out of the slide to align it with the rounds feeding from the magazine.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t shoot it. Contact Glock and they may replace the block for free; of course you will have to send the gun to them. However, Glock does stand by their guns.
MB

P.S. the locking block is the part that takes up the shock of your 9mm round going off, and helps to limit the rearward travel of your slide.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Went back to the dealer today and exchanged it for another glock.  This one seems to be good in all areas, as far as I can see.  

Thanks,
BK
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Good deal.

I ordered a used G17 online.  It came with a bulge in the barrel...sent it back for a replacement too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The locking block also cracked on my 23.  I showed it to a Glock Armorer at the range I frequent and he changed it for free.  The pistol was purchased new (not from him) and had roughly 2000 factory rounds through it.  I noticed the problem when field stripping following a previous range visit.  I noticed absolutely no problem while at the range but it was promptly replaced regardless.  

Others have had this problem.  The last time I noticed a thread was probably a year ago on GlockTalk.  It doesn't appear to be a catastrophic failure as the weapon will continue to fire.  As other s have said, why risk it though.  I sent Glock in GA a photo of the break along with a description w/serial number for their quality control dept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top