Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:39:41 PM EDT
How much should a reasonable gunsmith charge for assembling a 1911 frame and slide kit (including any fitting)?

Here's why I ask:
I'd like to build a rimfire 1911 out of a Caspian frame, Brownells parts kit, and Advantage Arms .22lr upper. The components of the pistol are within my budget, but how much should I expect to pay to have a smith put everything together in working order?

Your thoughts please?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I charge $30 an hour and with quality parts such as Caspian and Advantage Arms I wouldn't expect any more than two to three hours of labor to properly fit and assemble everything.  I would also test fire the gun to ensure proper function (and because that's how I get to try out hundreds of different configurations, hehe...)

If you had already done a 4473 on the frame when you got it, then the assembly is just gunsmithing work and I could even mail the complete gun directly back to you.

Who trained you to be a 1911 gunsmith?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
10-4, your AK builds look great by the way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Trained myself.  Years of fiddling with them, working on this, working on that, with my own personal guns and ruining a couple of them beyond recognition when I first started.

Many of the finest craftsmen (gunsmiths, carpenters, machinist, etc.) were self taught.  Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of when you show pride in your work.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you do it yourself.  I build my own and taught myself, including machining work on 80% complete receivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top