Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:15:52 PM EDT
OK, OK, I am not starting a 9mm vs. fill the blank thread. I am just talking myself into a 19 and companion 17. For the longest time I have been a .45 man and "compromised" with a carry gun in .40 however I am starting to see the light (or maybe just crossing over to the dark side). The little 9 is starting to grow on me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:11 PM EDT
reason number 1:
Practice ammo is dirt-ass cheap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:56:18 PM EDT
Everyone needs a nine.

Get one and be happy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:25:36 AM EDT
a big + 1 to what Zardoz said.

I carried a OM sized 1911 for years and finally went back to a 19 for a few reasons.

cheap practice ammo is #1.

#2 with good HP ammo there's about 5% difference in "stopping power" between 9 and 45. not a very big difference espacially when shot placement....yes SHOT PLACEMENT is the key handgun "stopping power."

#3 weight. a G19 with 16 rds weighs less than a SS OM with 8 rds. so there's less wear and tear on my back with twice the capacity.

#4 reliabilty. I've had 3 different 19's in the last 6 mos. (I swap and trade alot). on three occasions 1 of them locked the slide back before the mag was empty. the cause was my thumb bumping the slide release. my Colt OM was pretty reliable....until it got dirty. I won't even go into how much of a PIA it was to fieldstrip because it had a guide rod and a very tight barrel bushing.

#5 economical. and I don't mean just cheaper ammo. I have can have 2 19's for what the OM is worth. now that the ban is gone I can get 2 G19 mags for what some shops want for wilson mags. for about $60 I can ahve spares of EVERY part in the G19 frame, and outside of a good set of sight the G19 doesn't need much in the way of customizing.

#6 maintnence. field stripping a glock is simple. a complete detail strip takes all of 5 minutes once you've done it a time or 2. and detail stripping can be done using only the parts if the gun itself in a pinch. I rarely break out the factory supplied bore brush when cleaning. I just wipe as much of the residue out as I can with a rag and relube. BTW glock recommends 5 drops of oil.

#6 recoil. 9mm generally has less recoil than a 45 or even 40 so it's easier to shoot. and follow up shots are generally faster and more accurate (see my comments about shot placement in #2).

as you can see I thought alot about switching calibers and platforms myself. IMHO the g19 is the perfect defensive handgun. now if my piggy bank would grow faster I could get a G17 to go with my 19.

HTH,
Luv
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:11:03 AM EDT
Just because.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:13:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m_zwerlein:
Just because.

I like the way you roll
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:47:10 AM EDT
Get one! CHEEP and fun to shoot, plus if you shoot any comp pistol, IDPA, USPSA etc, you wont need to reload to prevent the major draining of your bank account due to the ammo shot per match.

I have a G17, looking for G17L and next a G34.

I bet youll be happy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:56:44 AM EDT
everyone forgot the best part.......33 round mags...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:48:12 AM EDT
Cheap and plentiful ammo. + you can use it to teach recoil shy people the joys of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:20:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:
Everyone needs a nine.

Get one and be happy.

Get two, be happier. I now have a 19 and a 26. Yea! for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:20:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
everyone forgot the best part.......33 round mags...

Yeah, and that too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
Cheap ammo!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:32:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:
Everyone needs a nine.

Get one and be happy.

+ 1

I think nines SUCK! , but I have one
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:02:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Luvman:
a big + 1 to what Zardoz said.

I carried a OM sized 1911 for years and finally went back to a 19 for a few reasons.

cheap practice ammo is #1.

#2 with good HP ammo there's about 5% difference in "stopping power" between 9 and 45. not a very big difference espacially when shot placement....yes SHOT PLACEMENT is the key handgun "stopping power."

#3 weight. a G19 with 16 rds weighs less than a SS OM with 8 rds. so there's less wear and tear on my back with twice the capacity.

#4 reliabilty. I've had 3 different 19's in the last 6 mos. (I swap and trade alot). on three occasions 1 of them locked the slide back before the mag was empty. the cause was my thumb bumping the slide release. my Colt OM was pretty reliable....until it got dirty. I won't even go into how much of a PIA it was to fieldstrip because it had a guide rod and a very tight barrel bushing.

#5 economical. and I don't mean just cheaper ammo. I have can have 2 19's for what the OM is worth. now that the ban is gone I can get 2 G19 mags for what some shops want for wilson mags. for about $60 I can ahve spares of EVERY part in the G19 frame, and outside of a good set of sight the G19 doesn't need much in the way of customizing.

#6 maintnence. field stripping a glock is simple. a complete detail strip takes all of 5 minutes once you've done it a time or 2. and detail stripping can be done using only the parts if the gun itself in a pinch. I rarely break out the factory supplied bore brush when cleaning. I just wipe as much of the residue out as I can with a rag and relube. BTW glock recommends 5 drops of oil.

#6 recoil. 9mm generally has less recoil than a 45 or even 40 so it's easier to shoot. and follow up shots are generally faster and more accurate (see my comments about shot placement in #2).

as you can see I thought alot about switching calibers and platforms myself. IMHO the g19 is the perfect defensive handgun. now if my piggy bank would grow faster I could get a G17 to go with my 19.

HTH,
Luv

+1
and, as i just posted, ive been carrying glocks for 20 years, have had 3 G17s in that time, upgrading as they changed. also have a 19 and a 34. when i train i shoot 1k rounds per session. when i lived in wa. the g17 was subjected to all kinds of rough conditions; kayak trips, hiking/camping, lots of rain, etc., in all this time i have had 0 problems of any kind with my glocks. i cannot say the same for other pistols that my buddies carry. i.e. my buddys 1911 rusting shut on a kayak trip. maybe get a 19 for carry and a 34 for comp./house, joe
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 4:54:57 PM EDT by Msokol13]
One for work....and one for play.

Glock 34 w/ adjustable Mepro night sights for plinking
Colt Lightweight commander 1911 for CCW
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:57:10 PM EDT
The 17 and 19 are both nice pistols. I have one of each and love them.

Max
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:20:41 PM EDT
The only thing I regret about getting into a 9mm is not doing it sooner. I bought a G17 this

summer and just bought a G34. A G19 will come this summer. They are great pistols. Just

FWIW, in a gunfight, I'll take ammo any day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:47:25 PM EDT
Simple, reliable, cheap to buy and shoot and chicks dig em.....G19
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:07 PM EDT
It's rair that I can speak the classic ARFCOM comment without being a hypocrite but....

GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:03:41 PM EDT
Ok, that’s it. I am getting both. I will have to start with the 19 and go from there

Top Top