Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/29/2007 2:53:44 PM EDT
How should I carry something like a G26.

Don't bother telling me to get a wheel gun, or some smaller semi-auto (like a 380) for a BUG in pocket carry. I usually carry a G19, so a G26 is a natural BUG.

But how should I carry it? I always carry my G19 in IWB rig.

Things I've thought of:
- weak side IWB carry (this would displace my spare mags
- SOB never tried this, and I don't know if I could conceal well just given my build
- ankle carry that comes with all the draw backs of this system (drop to draw etc)

What else am I missing?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:00:44 PM EDT
When I carry "heavy", I do so for a reason, usually going to New Orleans or some questionable area that = lots of street travel, little sitting (if any).

When that happens I carry 2 1911s, a 4" compact and a backup Combat Commander, or 2 Combat commanders.

Weather depending, I will carry the 4" at 9:00 (lefty) with the CC at 7:30 (off to the side of the SOB)

Or

I will carry the CC in a HD shoulder rig under a jacket with the 4" at 9:00
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 3:01:15 PM EDT by pulpsmack]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:08:54 PM EDT
I always carry 2 spare mags. The BUG would strictly be for when I can't draw my primary and/or I lose it for some reason.

I do NOT need it for more rounds.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:15:42 PM EDT
pocket carry (jacket, cargos, etc); shoulder rig; dedicated upper pocket holsters (like in those 5.11 shirts), weak side IWB, ankle

depends on the attire, comfort level, etc

personally, i prefer ankle for the G26--great for while you are sitting down; drawing can actually be relatively easy while standing, unfortunately, 2 hands are needed regardless

SOB would not be a bad spot...but i dont prefer or recommend SOB--YMMV

weak side IWB isnt a bad place either, i'd try a single metal clipped leather holster or something like that
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:23:30 PM EDT
How do you envision 'needing' your BUG?

My personal opinion is that it would be something I would end up going to once under cover or otherwise out of the danger area.

So it would be ankle carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 3:26:53 PM EDT by roguetrader]
you could carry your BUG in a cross draw position, but I would think that it would have to be a belt holster

ETA the cross draw would be quicker to access if you were driving
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:12:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 4:15:49 AM EDT by SARS]
I carry my G19 at about 4 o'clock, 2 spare mags at about 8 o'clock and my G26 at about 11 o'clock. The G26 rides in a Comp-Tac "2 O'clock" (or something like that) for lefties. You might want to look into this option, I absolutely love it. I can draw a gun quickly with either hand, which I think is the biggest reason to carry a BUG, as an injury to the strong arm is quite possible.

If you're obese it might not work, as your belly would possibly hang over it.

Here's a link: www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:21:22 AM EDT
A weapon that size could be carried in an organizer or a courier bag. Back up guns should be smaller. Keltec size.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:41:08 AM EDT
The main issue with SOB in my opinion is retention
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:52:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:43:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SARS:
I carry my G19 at about 4 o'clock, 2 spare mags at about 8 o'clock and my G26 at about 11 o'clock. The G26 rides in a Comp-Tac "2 O'clock" (or something like that) for lefties. You might want to look into this option, I absolutely love it. I can draw a gun quickly with either hand, which I think is the biggest reason to carry a BUG, as an injury to the strong arm is quite possible.

Here's a link: www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89

So you carry both your BUG and Primary on the right side?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 6:50:25 PM EDT by mcooper]
If you have pants with wide enough pockets I'd recommend using a pocket holster and carrying witha 10round mag in the gun. It isn't much larger than my Smith 640 .357 J-frame that I pocket carry. However the G26 is wider at the "ends" than a J-fram, so it might print.

Ask Alphaghost about the pocket holster to get...I can't recall the name, but he knows.

As far as ankle carry, I've tried it and don't find it terribly comfortable. I'm 6' 4" and I walk fast; If I did ankle carry I'd really want to carry another gun or some sort of weight on my other ankle to balance things out. YMMV though

There are other methods mentioned, and some that would require you to change your dress appearance.

Personally I find my G19 (in it's CTAC) slightly uncomfortable when sitting for long periods of time (like in the movies or driving). Since it's winter I think I'm going to try a Shoulder holster and where a light jacket or fleece over it; then my Bug I'll put in a clip on IWB or in my pocket like normal. That might be something you would want to look into.

I know I'll be working around jackson this Christmas break and I'll probably carry only the G19 or only the 640. But That's physical labor...so I'll see how a ctac does when I'm working all day

ETA: I would advise against SOB as it seems to put your arm in an "arm lock" position and falling backwards would equal a bad bruise to a broken tailbone
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:10:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paveway_:

Originally Posted By SARS:

So you carry both your BUG and Primary on the right side?

No, the Glock 26 is on my left front, at roughly 11 o'clock, set up to draw left handed. The Glock 19 is on my right hip. My two spare mags are on my left hip, along with my light.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:00:55 PM EDT
I have a standing policy against keeping two ccw guns in the same location (IE - right hip). I'd say go with front pocket carry, if you can pull it off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:08:57 PM EDT
I have three ways of carrying a backup gun that I can reccomend. Left side appendix (Smith 642), left front pocket (Kel-Tec P32) and ankle (left or right) (642).

I don't like 9mm autos for pocket carry. The sights and slide like to snag on my pants, where a J-frame slides right out. If I was wearing something like 5.11s with massive pockets that might be different. A G26 is REALLY big for pocket carry. A J-frame is pushing it in many situations, depending on your pants. It's easy to ru out of pocket space this way if you aren't wearing cargo pants.

I like ankle holsters. Just get a good one or you'll be picking your gun up off the ground.

Appendix carry rocks! Very easy to hide. Very fast. No one thinks to look there.
Top Top