Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 4:47:17 PM EDT
I went to my second IPSC match this weekend, and for the second time in a row, I saw bad things happen with VERY expensive guns. In essence, every gun that I saw choke was a 1911... including mine. Competition gets tough when your Limited 10 pistol becomes a single shot weapon due to mag sensitivity.

Anyway- I understand that the 1911's that I saw are precision machines and can be rather picky because they're tweaked and engineered right up to the edge of insanity. There were the assorted FTF's, FTE's, doublefeeds, and slide lockbacks on partially full mags. My favorite was when one shooter was told to load and make ready and the slide FELL OFF his pistol onto the ground.

All the Glocks there ran fine. I'm considering switching to one because the cost of a custon 1911 is about $1,000 more than I can spend. I know that the trigger feels different, and that there's no external safety (my one big hangup). I'm open to shooting IPSC Minor. I've been looking at 3rd gen 17's, 22's, 34's, and 35's.

Can anyone, especially people who have shot different families of guns, help me out with pros/cons and pet peeves? Are there other models I should consider?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
For a race gun I'd look at the new 17L or 24C (I think that's it, the long slide .40 comped).

I think the 24C would be the cat's ass for shooting IPSC. Although I don't know if that's legal for your class. But that and a little competition trigger work and you'd be good to go. THat thing would knock plates down GOOD.

I've only shot IDPA so YMMV.

I had a 1911 and had nothing but problems. I have had several Glocks now that cost half as much and run better. I love the feel of 1911's but ...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Glock 22 for IDPA and I have had no problems so far. I just changed to a 3.5LB trigger connector, extended mag and slide releases, but otherwise, it is stock. I just picked up a 34 that I will start using when my case of 40 S&W runs out. The 9mm is a little cheaper to shoot.

I have not wittnessed many problems with any of the guys I shoot with. The most common I see is one shot slide lock because of not seating a mag properly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]

VERY NICE.

Me want!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I just shot my first IPSC match with my newly acquired G34.  All I can say is DAMN!!!!  I was placing up there with some of the open class guys with it.  As a matter of fact, won my very first limited stage with it!!!  It's completely as it was from the factory except for a Dawson FO front sight and a Heinie rear that I installed.

I can't say enough good about it, plus with the G34 vs. the 17L, you can still shoot limited with it (17L has a comp I believe?).

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the G45, only other one I would consider would be the G35 to make major with.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The 17L doesn't fit in the limited class dimensions box, but they make a good basis for an open class gun.  The 34 and 35 are fine for your limited class stuff.

The trigger will be quite unpleasant at first for a 1911 guy.  But you get used to it and it becomes just as predictable.  As for the lack of an external safety, just think of it as being like a DA revolver, and steal a line from "Blackhawk Down".  One of the Spec ops guys was warned by an officer " Hey, your safety is off."  the Special operator replied while holding up his index finger "This is my safety".
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably gonna get flamed for this, but . . .

I personally don't understand why several people are hung up on the fact that Glocks don't have an external safety.  

"I don't like them thangs, they ain't got no safety on 'em."  I just don't get it . . .

Anyway, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the 3.5 lb factory trigger in my G34 is TITS!!  Double taps were a pure pleasure . . .
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
1911s that dont run are either lowest bidder type guns or custom by some hackjob with a file and a kitchen table.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1911s that dont run are either lowest bidder type guns or custom by some hackjob with a file and a kitchen table.

Kimber TLE/RL  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are an OK shot accuracy wise, then go for a plain vanilla G17. Ammo is cheap, and of all the Glocks this is the most robust and reliable. You will be shooting Minor Caliber, but this doesn't matter if you choose to shoot in Production division (no Major Caliber). Oh, and no more than 10 shots in the mag for this division, just like L10. The only change I would bother with is to replace the attrocious plastic OEM sights with Novaks or similar fixed metal replacements.

Personally, I would avoid trying to make a racegun out of a Glock. No matter how much lipstick you slap on it, its still a pig. Unless you are EXTREMELY gifted, the Glock's trigger is always going to put you at a disadvantage versus the other guys with a 1911. Just shoot the stock Glock, and either spend some time working out why your 1911 is barfing, and fix it, or save your pennies for a real match gun like an STI. Yes, they can be made reliable when you know what you are doing... the challenge is getting that experience without going insane with frustration. A match is NOT the place to work out why your gun is malfing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My 1911 was the first handgun I ever bought, and aside from a recoil guide and Pachmayr grips, I haven't touched it. Once I started going to these matches and adding up money for mods/mags/gunsmithing, it became pretty apparent that I'd be very close to getting another gun altogether. I also don't want to make any modifications for sentimental reasons.

The external safety hangup for me is more a matter of habit. Every gun I've got (with the exception of a .357) has one whether it's a rifle, pistol, or shotgun. My right thumb swings up there on its own now.

I'm leaning toward the 17/34 for ammo commonality with what I've already got. I also reload for it. What should I look at to decide between these two models? What price should I expect to pay for them? Do aftermarket mags/extension base plates work?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I would try www.topglock.com. I they also give a 5% discount to AR15.com members, but unsure if it applies to guns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a Glock 17 or 19 and don't look back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My 1911 was the first handgun I ever bought, and aside from a recoil guide and Pachmayr grips, I haven't touched it. Once I started going to these matches and adding up money for mods/mags/gunsmithing, it became pretty apparent that I'd be very close to getting another gun altogether. I also don't want to make any modifications for sentimental reasons.

The external safety hangup for me is more a matter of habit. Every gun I've got (with the exception of a .357) has one whether it's a rifle, pistol, or shotgun. My right thumb swings up there on its own now.

I'm leaning toward the 17/34 for ammo commonality with what I've already got. I also reload for it. What should I look at to decide between these two models? What price should I expect to pay for them? Do aftermarket mags/extension base plates work?-Hobbit

The G34 comes from the factory with extended mag release and slide stop
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The G34 comes from the factory with extended mag release and slide stop

I think he is asking about mags and base weights, not about the releases.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Probably gonna get flamed for this, but . . .

I personally don't understand why several people are hung up on the fact that Glocks don't have an external safety.  

"I don't like them thangs, they ain't got no safety on 'em."  I just don't get it . . .

Anyway, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the 3.5 lb factory trigger in my G34 is TITS!!  Double taps were a pure pleasure . . .

you don't see safetys on revolvers either but people swear by them
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I was curious about the +2 extensions. Does it take a different mag spring to function reliably? What about the mags that hold more than the standard amount (33's, etc.)?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Just shot ipsc for the second time last night as well, the first time I shot was a just for fun carry night so I didn't get into all the classification stuff but I want to know what is allowable in the production class? I have a glock 19 and the only mods on it are a glock factory extended slide release and ameriglo night sights. I know IDPA doesn't consider the slide release to be stock because it's not a factory option on the 19 but is this true for IPSC as well? Also I get the impression that sights have to be whatever GLOCK sells from their factory to be IPSC legal so my ameriglos would be illegal whereas whatever GLOCK's stocked brand of night sights would be ok or are pretty much any aftermarket tritium night sights ok?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I went to my second IPSC match this weekend, and for the second time in a row, I saw bad things happen with VERY expensive guns. In essence, every gun that I saw choke was a 1911... including mine. Competition gets tough when your Limited 10 pistol becomes a single shot weapon due to mag sensitivity.

Anyway- I understand that the 1911's that I saw are precision machines and can be rather picky because they're tweaked and engineered right up to the edge of insanity. There were the assorted FTF's, FTE's, doublefeeds, and slide lockbacks on partially full mags. My favorite was when one shooter was told to load and make ready and the slide FELL OFF his pistol onto the ground.

All the Glocks there ran fine. I'm considering switching to one because the cost of a custon 1911 is about $1,000 more than I can spend. I know that the trigger feels different, and that there's no external safety (my one big hangup). I'm open to shooting IPSC Minor. I've been looking at 3rd gen 17's, 22's, 34's, and 35's.

Can anyone, especially people who have shot different families of guns, help me out with pros/cons and pet peeves? Are there other models I should consider?
-Hobbit

Sing it brother, I have shot countless clean matches with Glock 17, Sig 220 and Kimber.  Peltor  7s electronic ears are priceless at these matches listening to the $$$posers$$$ that have a top named race gun that they have been waiting arrival for months, just came in and bang, bang, jam.    The crap they spew is priceless.  Kinda like the posers at a cowboy bar with their first pair of boots.

I show up cold, shoot cold, and leave.  I never look at the scores  or ranking BS.  I just leave knowing that I would have lived through that shoot out, or at least died fighting, rather than being a corpse at a crime scene with a $1000+ gun that jammed.  

Practical gear.  Subdued gun.  No talking.  Shoot.  Leave.  Practice more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was curious about the +2 extensions. Does it take a different mag spring to function reliably? What about the mags that hold more than the standard amount (33's, etc.)?
-Hobbit

Yes, different spring..  A factory spring will fold over onto itself.  That makes your +2 mag into a -5 mag.  I have seen this firsthand, and will never carry a mag extension again, ever.  They might work with a Wolff spring, but in the real world, you aren't carrying factory parts.  Poo poo this data all you want, it won't be an issue until you are sitting in front of a jury too stupid to get out of jury duty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
-Hobbit

I have a G22 (40S&W) and all my 15 round mags have the OEM Glock +2 baseplate and the standard factory spring. I cannot recall ever having a mag-related malfunction from these mags, so I would say you should be safe with the OEM springs and OEM baseplate. Of course, I can't speak for the aftermarket extensions, some of which can be real abominations.

By the way, if you are shooting 9mm you will do better in Production division. Mag capacity is limited to 10 rounds in this division, so mag capacity is a moot point. Everyone shoots minor caliber in Production. Trying to compete in Limited against people shooting 21-shot 40S&W major-caliber STI pistols will be a depressing experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking at the IPSC website, production looks like it requires a minimum of 5 lbs trigger pull on a DA first shot, and has no mag capacity restrictions... could you have been talking about a different classification?
-Hobbit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top