Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT
Bear with me, fellas, I'm makin' a confession, here...

I'm old-fashioned, and I hate change. To me, a pistol just doesn't look right unless there's a hammer sticking out of the ass end of the slide, and I like to see a safety lever on the side of the frame, although I can put up with one on the slide. I didn't like decockers when they first appeared, and I have always had this "thing" against plastic guns. Steel and wood are the only materials a gun should be allowed to be made of.

Like a lot of people, I completely dismissed Glocks for years on the basis of the polymer frame; I simply didn't like it. And no manual safety, either? Oh, HELL no! The damned thing's an ND waiting to happen.

Then an old HS buddy of mine who is a member of the SCHP (and a recipient of SC's highest award for valor, btw) and I went out shooting, and he brought his issue G22, insisting that I try it out. Instantly, I hated that damned "thing" in the middle of the trigger, the way the grip felt, etc, etc. I figured I'd blast a few rounds to make him happy, and be done with it. I thought that since I was going to shoot it, I may as well try to work around the shitty trigger, and see how well I could shoot with it.

Well...

The first thing I noticed was that the thing had almost no recoil compared to every other .40 I had fired, and very little muzzle flip, too (ETA: it seems to me that this could be a combination of the bore's proximity to the grip, the grip angle, and a recoil spring that seems to be somewhat stiffer than on a lot of other pistols, but I could be mistaken--either way, doesn't much matter, I suppose). Now, I've been shooting revolvers all my life, and so I consequently have always had trouble getting the "feel" of pistol triggers, and so as a result, I usually aren't worth a shit with a pistol. This thing gave me a pleasant surprise, though. It was very easy to get used to the trigger, and I was able to hit the targets pretty much without even thinking about it. the gun shot right at point of aim, and I was hitting everything I aimed at, and wasn't even really having to concentrate on doing so. This was the first pistol that I have been able to shoot well, without having to expend hundreds of rounds to get the feel of it.

Even though I had an eye-opening experience with a Glock, I still resisted, preferring to keep trying my luck with other pistols. I didn't HATE Glocks anymore, but I still couldn't get over my dislike for hammerless, plastic guns.

But after trying out quite a few others, and not being worth a shit with 'em even after shooting an ASSLOAD of rounds through them, I started to rethink my position on the drastic plastic.

Here are a few of my observations.

First, the hammerless thing: Logically, there's really no reason to dislike a striker-fired gun, as far as I can see. On my part, it was just being plain Old-fashioned. Top that off with the literally hundreds of reviews I have read about Glock pistols, with maybe 3 (I'm adding one, just to be on the pessimistic side) accounts of malfunctions, and I think I can quit worrying about wether or not the thing's gonna go "bang" when I pull the trigger.

No safety: As I read in a post in this forum, revolvers don't have safeties, so wtf? As I said, I've been shooting revolvers all my life, and none of THEM had a safety, so why am I being so anal about Glocks not having a safety? I've never had an ND with a revolver because I have always kept my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to fire. Hmmm...maybe I can do that with a Glock, with the same result...Holy SHIT, what an epiphany! Pardon me, while I pat myself on the back for being so smart...

Polymer frame: I'm still not exactly thrilled with the idea of a polymer frame, but since I don't think I'll be leaving it on top of a working burner on the stove any time soon, I *should* be ok...

Anyway...after years and years, I caved in, and bought a Glock model 19 yesterday. $515 got me the pistol itself, 2 15-rd magazines, and 200 rds of Winchester WB to practice with.

*Gratuitous gun pic follows*

Sorry for the overly long post, gentlemen, but for me, actually buying a (yech!) plastic gun is something of a milestone. I must say though, that the more I examine it, the more this thing is growing on me. Hell, I've already been looking through the Brownell's catalog...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice choice. I just recently picked up a Glock 17. This was after buying my Springfield XD 40 about 6 months ago. I would suggest you try one of those out as well. Both are GREAT pistols and a joy to shoot!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Another falls to the darkside
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
It was a downward spiral for me.  I started off with an all steel 1911.  went to an aluminum framed beretta, followed it with a plastic HK and finally got a glock.  Decided that i wasted a lot of money getting here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
That is almost the exact same story as mine except my buddy's Glock was a 21.  Welcome to the darkside.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I went this route on my own:

M1911A1's ==> H&K USP ==> Glock 17 ==> Glock 21
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How true!  Welcome Zardoz
I have a feeling we'll be seeing another one of these post very soon.  As soon as a certain member [cough]va_dinger[/cough] returns home at the beginning of the week
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I braved the deep southern summer weather to go try it out awhile ago. Gentlemen, I do believe I have finally found the pistol for me! It was so miserable outside (and at only 9:30am, too) that any kind of extensive testing was a no-go, but I did manage to fire 200 rds through it. As I pretty much expected, it's a very pleasant gun to shoot. The first 2 magazines were "OK", because I was concentrating on the trigger, and so my overall shooting suffered a little bit. After I got sort of settled in I started shooting a LOT better. After every round fired, I would let off the trigger just enough to reset, then quickly aim and fire again. At about 15 yds, I was getting head shots on a life-size silhouette about 95% of the time, firing 15rds in about 30 seconds.

I'm thinking hard about replacing the trigger connector with the 3.5lb unit. Opinions on this?

Those sights also have to go, too. While I like 'em, and I'm getting used to the idea of a plastic frame, the idea of plastic sights on my one and only (I'm a one-gun kinda feller--1 rifle, 1 pistol, and 1 shotgun) is just too much. Are Aro-Tek sights any good?

Other than sights and the trigger connector, I really can't think of a single thing on this pistol that I want to change, and I'm pretty confident that with practice, I should get to be half-way decent with this thing.

I guess I should go ahead and say it. I was completely wrong about Glocks.   They may not be for everybody, but this model 19 is sure as hell the right pistol for me. I really and truly can't remember being this happy with a new pistol.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock 19:

best pistol ever produced...

...its like it was made for me
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I can relate to what he is saying,but I went for the Glock17.

Congrats on your new Glock.

TG
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I just walked from a morinig session with my G21 and also threw 200 rnds. down range (steel and pins). This pistol is so soft shooting that I could have easily shot another 200 rounds or more without a hitch. My 11 year old son had a bit of trouble with the grip but, overall, did just fine on the pins.

I'd stay with the factory issued connector unless it is going to be a dedicated range/competition gun. Shoot another 1500 rounds thru it and see how you like it then. As for the sights, I've never had a problem with factory Glock sights - I think that we're sometimes still hooked on the "steel or nothing" way of thinking. Give it some time before you start swaping parts out (and spending your $$$).

Enjoy...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm thinking hard about replacing the trigger connector with the 3.5lb unit. Opinions on this?

My opinion is as follows; leave your Glock stock.  With the exception of NS my Glocks are bone stock.  After a few thousand rounds that trigger will smooth out .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]

I think that we're sometimes still hooked on the "steel or nothing" was of thinking. Give it some time before you start swaping parts out (and spending your $$$).
You're probably right about the sights, and that's good advice which, strangely enough, I believe I'll take. I just got back from buying another bunch of ammo, another spare mag, and a plug for that hole behind the magazine well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Im keeping my Glock17 all stock,but have purchased extra recoil assemblies,pins &  springs etc.
Probably never need to extra parts,cept recoil  rod &  spring assembly.

So far have  plenty mags,4 10rd  & 5 17rd and 4 33rds mags,did I mention ammo?

Also have added a plug and Trijicon sights.

Plum Perfection.

TG
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I was Glock hater to, UNTIL the 3rd Gen frames came out, and WOW, I love my 617 in OD Green.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You're probably right about the sights, and that's good advice which, strangely enough, I believe I'll take. I just got back from buying another bunch of ammo, another spare mag, and a plug for that hole behind the magazine well.

I also need to resupply - I'm off to WalMart for a few more boxes of the WWB value pack. It's amazing how fast and accurately I can double tap targets with that pistol...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice choice.. to this day I dont own a glock... and I dont know why. The G21 is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired... I own 2 XD's... and I STILL dont know why I havnt sold them to get the glocks...  I just dont shoot that much.. Someone kick me in the nuts
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can relate to what he is saying,but I went for the Glock17.

Congrats on your new Glock.

TG

Same here, but the G31 got me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yes dont feel like the lone ranger. The Glock happens to be the unpopular and strange girl thats awesome in bed, really smart, sweet and doesnt talk too much. In other words its a suprise and I for one thought it was impossible for the Glock to win me over even if it was a "good" pistol. It turns out its damn near miraculous. Practically aims itself its so light and balanced and one tough cookie. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the post.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

[evillaugh]muahahahahaha[/evillaugh]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
My first was a G35 and I was hooked.
My G20 was actually outshooting my DW 1911/10mm this afternoon, and the Glock wasn't having any problems at all. Damn evil Austrian black plastic guns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dont do anything to it other than some night sights, and mags. If you havent already shot it, hehehe.....
19's are amazing weapons.

Soon, you'll add a 17...........

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/4Glocks2.jpg

I don't think I like you any more
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#25]
G-19, G-26, and G-30 are my favorite Glocks.   I'm not such a big fan of the full sized frame models.

Oddly enough, the full framed models have a very different grip feel. The bulge of the backstrap is alot lower than on the mid sized and subcompacts.

I have 3.5 Glock OEM connectors on all my Glocks, and have replaced the sights with either night sights, or 3 dot metal.    Putting in a 3.5 connector is super easy, just search the internet and you'll find instructions.

The 3.5 connector does lighten up the trigger pull, but does make it a bit mushier.  I've heard some post that Scherer brand 3.5 connectors retain the same break feeling as the 5 lb one, but I like stock in my internals.  It did tighten up my groups more, but the gun shooting each round is like squeezing a twinkie with your index finger.

Get a couple 33 round mags to stuff in it.  They are kind of a fun novelty.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I am completly sold, as a matter of fact I will be adding #4 tomorrow, a G21.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
G-19, G-26, and G-30 are my favorite Glocks.   I'm not such a big fan of the full sized frame models.

Oddly enough, the full framed models have a very different grip feel. The bulge of the backstrap is alot lower than on the mid sized and subcompacts.

I have 3.5 Glock OEM connectors on all my Glocks, and have replaced the sights with either night sights, or 3 dot metal.    Putting in a 3.5 connector is super easy, just search the internet and you'll find instructions.

The 3.5 connector does lighten up the trigger pull, but does make it a bit mushier.  I've heard some post that Scherer brand 3.5 connectors retain the same break feeling as the 5 lb one, but I like stock in my internals.  It did tighten up my groups more, but the gun shooting each round is like squeezing a twinkie with your index finger.

Get a couple 33 round mags to stuff in it.  They are kind of a fun novelty.

Novelty? SHTF must, at least 2!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You need two things for that gun,  night sights (I like meprolight green/green) and some 33 round magazines.  Welcome to the darkside.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#30]

get the Meprolights for NS

& then some G18  mags

& then  a  G34  

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#31]
only thing I changed on my Glocks are the sights and guide rods.
I know the plastic guide rods ones are supposed to be durable but what the heck it was cheap enough
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Nice choice.. to this day I dont own a glock... and I dont know why. The G21 is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired... I own 2 XD's... and I STILL dont know why I havnt sold them to get the glocks...  I just dont shoot that much.. Someone kick me in the nuts

Your assignment for this week is to sell the XD's, order a G21, order spare mags, purchase ammo (minimum 300 rounds), order a quality holster & magazine pouches (Comp-tac) and head off to the range.

Is there something about these instructions that you can't comprehend?

hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your assignment for this week is to sell the XD's, order a G21, order spare mags, purchase ammo (minimum 300 rounds), order a quality holster & magazine pouches (Comp-tac) and head off to the range.

LOL, I actualy bought a brand new Kimber Custom II that Im going to sell in addition to the XD's... Want to get myself a G19 (wife can shoot  it), a G21, and a compact for ccw.

I thought I would love the Kimber 1911....... I dont.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hug.gif

LOL, I actualy bought a brand new Kimber Custom II that Im going to sell in addition to the XD's... Want to get myself a G19 (wife can shoot  it), a G21, and a compact for ccw.

I thought I would love the Kimber 1911....... I dont.

Cool...You're going to love the G21. Let us know how you make out...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Good to hear that your a convert,  Glocks are great, I have always been a fan.

Max
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a Glock 19 today as well.

I went to buy it last month...somehow walked out with a Kimber stainless steel ultra carry II. Well needless to say that gun was a lemon.

Shop gave me full credit back on the Kimber so I left with a Glock 19 (like I wanted in the first place) and 250$.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I started skimming as I got further down the thread. But if it wasn't mentioned, a G-30 should be on the list for a Glock convert. I've encounted countless people, myself included, that can't praise the 30 enough. It's the most accurate, smooth shooting, beautiful pistol I've ever shot.

As for the "I hate Glocks" crowd. It seems that most people who hate them are the types who feel the need to have a big-dick contest about everything in the world. It's not a MAN'S gun. Tupperware. Hand Grenade. The reasons are endless for their dislike of the brand. But in the end, I think it's nothing more than the time honored tradition of guys feeling that they have to outspend each other and have bragging rights.
Kimber? Sure, I'd love to have one. But I can have 3 different Glocks for the same price. And 3000+ rounds of Wolf through my G-19 without anything more that a quick wipedown and a drop of oil in the slide from time to time, without any failures other than the occasional Wolf-dud, is enough to convince me that it's just as reliable as a $1500 dollar 1911.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Welcome aboard brother. I stayed away from Glocks myself staying with Sig's and H&K's. After spending embaressing amounts on those guns I finally bought my first Glock a G26, after that I've been hooked. I'm seriously thinking of selling a few of the other gun's and rounding out my Glock collection. Be careful about changing your sights, I put Mepros on my G26 and now I have to learn her all over again, not the end of the world but something to consider!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice gun, DVDTracker! How well does the finish hold up?

After shooting another 200 rds through my 19 today, I've decided to get rid of my also-new Taurus 94, to finance an advantage Arms 22 conversion kit for it. THIS is my "keeper" handgun, for sure!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#41]
The only must change thing on the Glock 19, is the sights. Get them changed to Meps or Trijicon. I have two G19s, one with Meps, the other with Trij. Both work very well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a glock 19gen2 for my second gun in 1999.
Sold it to get a ww2 1911.
Sold that for a glock 17gen3 +$$.
sold that for a glock 19gen3.
Sold that out of stupidity for a para-ord p14-45lda (I did like the trigger though).
Sold that for a 1911 ultra compact.
Sold that for a glock 30gen3 with rail.
Stumbled across a smoken deal on a gen 2 glock 19 circa 1995 with 4 10rnd mags 1 15rnd and a 15+2 for $360 from a guy at work.

Now I'm happy I have my .45 and my 9mm.

I am not surprised at all that they are both Glocks and both have glock trijicon sights.
Welcome to the world of Glocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top