Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 1:54:16 PM EDT
I'm on the market for a full size 5" or 6" model for target shooting, plinking, and general pride of ownership. Not for carrying as I have a customized Colt CCO for that purpose.

Kimber Gold Match II and Team Match, MSRP $1315 and $1284, respectively:
www.kimberamerica.com/goldmatch.php

Wilson Stainless Classic w/Ambi, MSRP $2180:
www.wilsoncombat.com/store.cgi?&shop=city&cart=5702776x99693&session=3f7f61455fe4b588&L=eng&P=WC-A-S

SA, Inc. Trophy Match Long Slide, MSRP $1452:
www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ls.shtml

Les Baer Concept V 6", MSRP $1768:
www.lesbaer.com/cncptf.html

My questions:
1 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the Schwartz firing pin safety system?
2 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the new external extractor?
3 - Do both the Gold Match II and Team Match pistols use the same number of MIM parts as the standard Kimbers?
4 - Does the SA, Inc. Trophy Match use a 9mm firing pin and extractor, similar to other SA, Inc. .45 ACP 1911s?
5 - Are the Wilson pistols as good a value as those from Les Baer? These two choices are quite pricey but if I can "justify" it.........

Please help me decide. Stories of personal experience with any of the above models are welcome.

[Edited to fix links and to add "Long Slide."]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
STI Trojan 5"

STI Trojan 6"

Check out the STI single stack 1911's. They are probably the best known name in USPSA/IPSC competition. They come out of the box match ready. The 5" is about $1000, and the 6" is $1200. Very accurate, very fast, and very reliable. You can also get them in your choice of calibers.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have specified that I'm not interested in a blued gun.  STI does offer hard chroming but would they chrome everything including small parts such as pins, sear, disconnector, mainspring cap, bbl link, etc.?

Perhaps there's an option to do it all in stainless but you need to call and ask?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Why the requirement for stainless?  A good carbon steel will generally make a better gun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the reduced maintenance requirements of a stainless gun.  Also, there's no finish to wear off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top