Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 4:29:03 PM EDT
A dealer told me only Colts could be completly torn apart. Not just barrel and slide like a Glock.

Is that true?

He showed me by pulling everything apart , slide,barrel,extractor,trigger,spring,handgrips,ect... Then he reassembled,cocked,and dry fired,ok.

If other brands can be , then list please.

Thank You,
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically any 1911 can be done that way. A lot of revolvers can also, IF one knows what they're doing (I don't).

Some say Glocks can be done that way too but I haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]
He showed me a tool built in gun for teardown.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Every weapon ever made has a disassembly process, handguns are no exception. Glocks can be takendown to it's 37 or so components, Rugers, Browing HPs, Berettas any pistol and even revolvers can be disassembled, side plates removed, trigger parts taken out....

Are ya looking for a list, sheesh that's way to much to type.....we're talking thousands, if it it was made, it has a disassembly procedure.

American Rifleman, mag distributed by the NRA w/ your subscription, (should ya chose it, or the American Hunter or American Guardian) and on a monthly basis shows a disassembly diagram of rifles and pistols, from those made in the 1800's to current production handguns and rifles.

Not certain why you'd not be aware of this, or fall for such BS by a dealer/gunsmith, whose obviously just preying on your naivete, suggest ya find another one, as this is a sure sign of one to avoid..... "Only Colts can be disassembled", not hardly........

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
IVE TORN MY G 22 DOWN COMPLETLY.I MEAN COMPLETE TEAR DOWN.PIECE OF CAKE.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
WHY DO PPEPS PUT SO MUCH FATH IN DEALERS???YOU DONT LISTEN TO YOUR PREACHER THAT WELL!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
IM DVDTracker.. he's got a video he made of taking apart a G22 and putting it back.  Wish he'd do a 1911
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IM DVDTracker.. he's got a video he made of taking apart a G22 and putting it back.  Wish he'd do a 1911

FWIW, The AGI, (American Gunsmithing Institute) sells videos on practically every commonly sold pistol on the market, believe they can be had for like $30.

For list see here: www.americangunsmith.com/handguns.html

I use to be a member of the AGA which I believe is now the AGI, and they have very decent monthly mag that cover lots of general gunsmithing work like "trigger jobs" on S&W and etc..., videos are cheaper if your a member..

They even have "take at home courses" for those interested.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The point I think he was trying to make was Colt didn't require any outside tools.
I'm looking at my glock 19 and it appears that a pin needs driven out to remove the trigger assy. Not that it would be a great challenge or anything; but I don't carry a hammer and punch in my pocket all day.
He caught my interest by doing that teardown,with nothing but his hands.

Wilson I'm on my way to check out that site of yours. Thanks for the tip!

Scooper Sorry I don't know what a PPEPS is ,so excuse me if I'm not sure whether to come over and kick your ass or buy you a beer. What ever it means it's the thought that counts, right?

I've asked a lot a questions and learned quite a bite. I've also learned I have a long way to go.

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
The hammer strut will push out the pin which holds the mainspring housing in place.  The thumb safety, no tools and on and on and on.  John Browning was a true genius.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top