Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:58:36 AM EDT
There's a Colt on consignment in the local fun shop, and I'm kinda tempted. Unfortunately, the only Colts I know anything about are the Delta Elites.

I know that the original Series 70 guns came with the collet bushing, and the new ones don't, but I want to know what other differences can I spot, without taking apart the gun.

The one in the case has a paragraph stamped onto the barrel hood (normally all I see is caliber), what appears to be a stainless spur hammer, and vertical cocking serrations (rear only).

How much should I be paying for one of the originals? repros?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are 2 styles of rollmarks on the originals––large and small.
The current production Series 70 pistols have the small style roll marks only.
Current slides say "Colt Government Model", most of the originals say "Colt's Government Model" with an apostrophe s.
All current production Series 70 serial numbers start with "71B",  many original Series 70s start with "70G" though there are other prefixes also.

Stainless pistols have only been made in the current production, there are many nickel and chrome early run Series 70.

Quality on the original guns is hit and miss, there are some real dogs out there with slide lug issues and off center frame dustcover machining that are very expensive and difficult, or impossible to fix. Current production pistols are consistently very high quality and well made, though you do have to watch for the "off center" slide bore/recoil tunnel/dustcover" issue.

I would not pay a premium for an early Series 70, the current Colts are some of the best pistols they have ever mad–– make sure it has all original Colt parts especially the barrel, that no one has messed with it––especially the feedramps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again, guys... it appears to be an original Series 70... serial number places it in 1979-1980 range (G70 suffix). I'd love to get my hands on it, but $1250 seems quite a stretch for a GI-pattern gun, even if it is in beautiful condition... I really wish they still did bluing that pretty and deep.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top