Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2005 6:13:36 PM EDT
I was out shooting with a friend who is thinking of selling a Colt MKIV Series 70 he bought used in the early 80's. He's only used the factory mags and 8 rnd McCormicks, and when I had him try my Wilson and Novak 8 rnd mags they wouldn't seat or feed the first round unless they were downloaded to 7 rnds. My Colt Series 80 pistol hasn't had a problem with Wilson, Novak or McCormick 8 rnd mags. I am interested in the pistol. Is it normal for Series 70 to do this? Why will it seat some but not all 8 rnd mags? Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:48:34 PM EDT
These pistols can be mag. sensitive. This one showing a good case of it, I would pass. Unless it can go to the smith for work and still price out.
FWIW, I never did like those eight rd. mags. Many do-
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:57:15 PM EDT
Hell, I've had that same problem in a 2004 production Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALAN308:
These pistols can be mag. sensitive. This one showing a good case of it, I would pass. Unless it can go to the smith for work and still price out.
FWIW, I never did like those eight rd. mags. Many do-

He's letting it go cheap. I could live with downloading by 1 or using 7 rnd mags. I mainly wanted to know if this is normal for some Colt pistols. Any ideas as to why it does this?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:36:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Do you download by one or use 7 rnd mags?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:47:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

Mine works if I slap the baseplate HARD on insertion. I don't shoot that one much anymore, so I haven't bought new mags for it. I spoke with Ed Head (Gunsite Operations Chief) and he says its a problem sometimes, you download or use 7 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:35:57 AM EDT
C4, if you had an oppertunity to try several different seven rd. mags and they all run, I would say its good. If it does not like seven rd. mags, I would pass. All 1911's seem to be different somehow. One that does not like most mags is not a best choice. Downloading mags is not criteria for a new purchase.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:05:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ALAN308:
C4, if you had an oppertunity to try several different seven rd. mags and they all run, I would say its good. If it does not like seven rd. mags, I would pass. All 1911's seem to be different somehow. One that does not like most mags is not a best choice. Downloading mags is not criteria for a new purchase.

Thanks. I have since tried a few different 7 rnd mags with no problem and the factory mags and 8 rnd McCormicks worked without a hiccup and seat easily.

Does anyone know why the Wilson or Novak 8 rounders wouldn't seat well? I'm guessing it has to do with ? the different follower.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:05:48 PM EDT

Mine works if I slap the baseplate HARD on insertion. I don't shoot that one much anymore, so I haven't bought new mags for it. I spoke with Ed Head (Gunsite Operations Chief) and he says its a problem sometimes, you download or use 7 round mags.

Forgot to thank you for that info.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:47:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:00:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Thanks. I have since tried a few different 7 rnd mags with no problem and the factory mags and 8 rnd McCormicks worked without a hiccup and seat easily.

Does anyone know why the Wilson or Novak 8 rounders wouldn't seat well? I'm guessing it has to do with ? the different follower.

I'm going to GUESS that it's got to do with the magazines not fully seating, the base pads on the Wilson and Novak maybe?

Correct, the magazines will not seat correctly. But I don't think it's the base pads since they are not coming into contact with the pistol ie. they are not preventing the magazine from fully seating from the outside. But I'm sure you're correct about the base of the magazine being somehow differently constructed. It's as though there is too much pressure when 8 bullets are in the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:14:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:31:14 AM EDT

It's as though there is too much pressure when 8 bullets are in the magazine.

Is this with the slide closed that they won't seat? Yes Will they seat with the slide locked back? Not with 8 rounds from Novak or Wilson mags.

If it's only when the slide is in battery that they don't want to seat try "smaking" the magazine Firmly and see if it locks in.

There is a lot of resistance to fully seating the magazine. If I push hard enough it will finally seat but there is so much pressure on the slide that it cannot be pulled back easily.

Thank for your questions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:32:55 AM EDT
The spring in the mag is completely compressed with 8 rounds in them. Since they are, the small amount of pressure the slide exerts on the top round jams it up. If it works fine with 7 I would not hesitate to get the gun and just go 7+1 like the ORIGINAL design. Besides it's not the best thing for a spring to be compressed so tightly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:32:50 PM EDT

I'm going to GUESS that it's got to do with the magazines not fully seating, the base pads on the Wilson and Novak maybe?

Correct, the magazines will not seat correctly. But I don't think it's the base pads since they are not coming into contact with the pistol ie. they are not preventing the magazine from fully seating from the outside. But I'm sure you're correct about the base of the magazine being somehow differently constructed. It's as though there is too much pressure when 8 bullets are in the magazine.

What kind of ammo?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:49:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By f2:

What kind of ammo?

1) Federal Hydrashock 230gr
2) Winchester White Box 230gr. FMJ
3) Hungarian MFS 230gr. FJM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:55:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
The spring in the mag is completely compressed with 8 rounds in them. Since they are, the small amount of pressure the slide exerts on the top round jams it up. If it works fine with 7 I would not hesitate to get the gun and just go 7+1 like the ORIGINAL design. Besides it's not the best thing for a spring to be compressed so tightly.

It certainly feels that way.

SGB,

It really feels like fxntime is saying. My Wilsons and Novaks work slick in my Series 80 so it's no big deal since I can still use those mags with 8 rnds.

Thanks guys for all the input!

Top Top