Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2009 9:43:35 AM EST
I recently purchased a Colt New Agent compact .45. This is their little pistol that has a trench cut on the slide instead of traditional sights. When Colt came out with this odd little pistol back in 2007, I thought it was a pretty silly idea. However, in the summer months I tend to do a lot more pocket carrying, as I just can't concel my normal 1911 (a Nighthawk Talon II Commander-sized pistol) under the clothing I tend to wear. However, the style of shorts I wear have big, deep front pockets that can conceal a good sized pistol. I normally pocket carry a Glock 26 this way, in a pocket holster of course. I prefer the 1911 platform, though, so decided to give this pistol a try.

I picked one up and took it to the range. It fed, fired, and ejected 200 rounds of various ammo (50 Fed Am Eagle, 50 230gr Gold Dots, and 100 of my reloads). The trigger is fantastic on this pistol, it breaks so cleanly it feels as if it's had a professional trigger job. Aiming using the trench was much easier than I expected, and I was keeping rounds in the head of an IDPA target at a good 12 yards. However, with the factory supplied magazine I did experience a near 100% failure to lock the slide back after the last round. The follower was jumping over the slide stop. I did not have this happen at all with a full-sized 7 round magazine with a different style follower.

After getting it home and inspecting the slide stop, it looks to be way too rounded; I called Colt, and they directed me to ship the slide stop to them for a replacement. In the meantime I replaced it with a Wilson Combat slide stop. I also replaced the stock grip safety with a Wilson drop-in one, as the stock one was tearing up the web of my hand.

Photos:

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:38:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2009 11:48:01 AM EST by Coltman77]
Really, really good pics of the New Agent –– you're a talented photographer.

I've had one for maybe 10 months now and love the little bugger.

ETA

I'm sure you already know this but Colt was the first manufacturer to produce a 3" 1911 when they introduced the Defender.
The blue plastic box my New Agent came in is marked "Defender Concealed" ...
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:22:56 PM EST
Very Nice! Thats the first one I have seen. Great pictures also.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:59:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2009 2:27:38 PM EST by pulpsmack]
Great pictures, indeed. the aesthetics look pretty good too. the one thing I wouldn't be able to take though is that trigger. A leprechaun can do somersaults over/under the gaps between the trigger and guard and I wager it wiggles like a 7 year old's incisor. This is one of Colt's top 5 common issues (trigger slop/jingle).
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:13:02 PM EST
interesting. i'm not familiar with trench sights; what is the sight picture supposed to look like?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:22:11 PM EST
I love mine as well. Great pistols. Every report I've seen has been positive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:05:23 PM EST
everything i have heard about them has been positive
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:16:11 PM EST
I finger banged one last week. Got me interested.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:29:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:
Great pictures, indeed. the aesthetics look pretty good too. the one thing I wouldn't be able to take though is that trigger. A leprechaun can do somersaults over/under the gaps between the trigger and guard and I wager it wiggles like a 7 year old's incisor. This is one of Colt's top 5 common issues (trigger slop/jingle).

The trigger does rattle around there, but there's little to no slop in the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:02:57 PM EST
No, that's creep (regarding the trigger pull), which is a different animal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:05:12 PM EST
There's no creep, and little to no slop. The rattle when no pressure is applied appears to be only in a verticle plane, not in regards to the direction the trigger is pulled (which would be slop).
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:04:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2009 6:05:35 PM EST by pulpsmack]
up/down or left/right= "slop"

back/forth before takeup or resistance = "jingle" (aiming empty pistol at floor and tapping on the trigger pad creates a "jingle" with excessively loose triggers)

back/forth after takeup = "creep" (this is what a trigger job aims at rectifying)

In your case, you are stating your pistol has no perceptible creep and a little perceptible slop.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:54:14 AM EST
I just saw one of these for the first time yesterday. Played with it but didn't get to shoot it.
I want one. It is exactly what I've been looking for.
I even put my Glock 30 up for sale or trade in order to get this.
Thanks for your input. Makes me feel just that much better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:52 PM EST
I bought one for easier concealment in summer as well - and I love mine.

Approximately 4,500 rounds through mine, with only 3 stoppages in the first 100 rounds. It has been flawless ever since.

I need to replace the grip safety as you have done, it DOES do some damage to the hand after about 100 rounds.

The trench sight was different to get used too, but I like the fact that it doesn't hang up on the leather. When I first got it I was shooting about 10" low, and I think it had something to do with my sight picture at 25 yards. IIRC the bottom of the trench should be level, not the top of the pistol slide. On mine the muzzle end is higher than the rear, so it was probably tilted downward enough to cause my rounds to impact lower.

I run 165 Gr. Federal EFMJ's in mine for concealed carry.

Everything I've put into it has fed just fine.

Great pictures.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:40:20 AM EST
Someone sent me an email via this website asking if I had to do much fitting of the grip safety. I replied, but the reply bounced back that the email address wasn't valid. So, here's the response to that question:

I put in a Wilson Combat drop-in one, part number 429bc I believe. They
call it drop-in, but it did require some minor fitting on the tab on the
grip safety that actually engages the trigger bow. Wilson includes some
simple drawings of where you need to file.

For example, when I first installed mine the grip safety wouldn't move
at all - it was so tight against the trigger bow. I filed that tab down
a little with a stone and it would finally move, but not enough to let
the trigger trip the sear. I then had to file the underside of the tab
a little bit until it all worked smoothly. The actual amount of metal
removed from the tab was very minor.

I did NOT have to file any of the actual Colt New Agent parts, nor did I
have to file any of the grip safety where it meets the frame - only that
tab that engages the trigger bow.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:22:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By AR15L:
I just saw one of these for the first time yesterday. Played with it but didn't get to shoot it.
I want one. It is exactly what I've been looking for.
I even put my Glock 30 up for sale or trade in order to get this.
Thanks for your input. Makes me feel just that much better.

Boy, what a difference a day makes.
I went to the fun show the day after I posted the above.
I came home with a Kimber Ultra Carry for the sum of... NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!
Seriously, it was that good! I don't need that New Agent anymore.
Man, what a good day!
Top Top