Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 9:04:20 AM EDT
I'm probably getting one of the above.  Which should I get?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
no expiernce on the Colt LW

i do have the SW 1911 PD/SC CO and the G30

depends on what you are looking for...they are both great .45s and i dont think that i would give either one of em up

i like the shootablity of the 1911s (tirgger, grip, etc), but i like the hi-cap of the glock (but hate the grip and trigger)

if i had to pick one, i would problably opt for the SW 1911
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 30. You will thank me. Get a good IWB KYDEX holster too!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a LW Commander and a G30. Dont own either anymore. But I would give anything to have that old school Colt back. The Glock  I cant say I'd give anything. Thats just me though, kinda hard to compare a G30 to a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I too owned a Colt Lighweight Commander and a Glock 30.

Here are the pros and cons of both in my own persona experience.

Note: I did fire around 1,000 rounds for each handgun before selling both of them and replacing with a Glock 19 and a TON of ammo.

GLOCK 30
PROS
-light
-small
-reliable(never jammed once)
-cheap magazines
-glock TENNIFER finish is extremely durable
-EXTREMELY accurate for a small gun
-recoil very managable
CONS
-DAMN IS THIS THING THICK!!!!
-did I mention THICK?

Sold due to the fact that it was nearly the same size of a G19, but thicker! Also, it held only about HALF of the ammo.

COLT LW COMMANDER
PROS
-felt safer when I carried(manual safety/grip safety)
-Good selection of holsters available
-Nice grip(Thin..no strange angle to it)
-its a 1911...what else can I say
CONS
-follow-up shots not as quick with G30
-still kinda heavy even though it only held 8 rounds
-long time to clean properly due to a large number of small parts
-Not as reliable as a glock(would get stovepipes even with BALL ammo)
-reloads not as quick due to single stack magazine well

Althoug this was a better choice for me than a G30 I still wanted more ammo. I was not crazy about the narrow magazine well which made reloads difficult.

I am very content now with my G19. Lightweight/reliable and I dont have to carry an extra magazine of ammo to feel well prepared.(15 rounds with +2 OEM extension and one in the chamber = 18 rounds of 147gr. Federal hydra-shok ammo)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Msokol, that's quite a write-up.  Thanks to all of you.  In true arfcom tradition, I'm getting both a S&W 1911SC and a Glock 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top