Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2009 10:17:06 AM EDT
So, my 21st birthday is next Saturday, and I'll be nabbing my permit and saving up to buy a handgun ASAP. I've done some looking around, and I really like the look of the King Cobra... anything important/unfortunate I should know about it? What say you, hive mind?
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:33:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2009 10:36:40 AM EDT by john575]
Out of production. If I could find one for a decent price I would buy it!

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:45:37 AM EDT
Found a few on gunbroker.com, and they show up in pawn shops every now and then. Usually between five and seven hundred.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:04:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DakkaMan:
Found a few on gunbroker.com, and they show up in pawn shops every now and then. Usually between five and seven hundred.

I'd buy everyone I could find at that price.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 6:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2009 6:23:00 AM EDT by JETWC]
You can't go wrong with an old Colt revolver

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:34:00 PM EDT
I quess when you get a Colt Revolver that you can pop the rear sight off and replace a firing pin as easy as a 1911 A1
And not have to send it off to Colt to have a special jig just to press in the new firing pin OH WAIT (thats the Python)!

I traded off my King Cobra and now have a High Standard sentinal(Dan Wesson) .357Mag 4 inch .

The King Cobra is a Very Robust and well made pistol ,I would pick up another or an Early Trooper (they are just that Good)

A roll pin and ten minutes and a smith firing pin is switched out(lots to think about before spending your hard earned money!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 10:10:30 AM EDT
I think you have it backward.
The Python firing pin is an easy switch. Just remove the rear sight, press in the pin with a punch and the firing pin stop slides up, releasing the firing pin.
(NOTE: All the exploded views of the Python show the cone-shaped firing pin spring in BACKWARD. An early artist mistakenly drew it that way, and the drawing has been reproduced as-is.
The firing pin spring goes in with the WIDE end forward, and the small end over the firing pin tip).

It's the King Cobra that requires a special press to replace the firing pin.
There's a cross pin, but that's just to insure the firing pin bushing isn't pushed out accidentally.
If you attempt to drive the bushing out, or back in, the frame gets damaged.
Around the bushing is a very thin "skirt" of metal. When the bushing is pressed out, that skirt of thin metal flares out.
When the bushing with a new firing pin is re-installed, the bushing must be eased past the flared metal without breaking any off, or pushing it into the hole.
Once the new pin and bushing are pressed in place, a special staking tool is inserted down the barrel and used to rivet the skirt back in place,

Some people never even notice the skirt, or worse, just assume it's a burr and file it off.
To do the job right, you need a special press with special contoured press punches made to fit the cross pin and the bushing, and special support dies to prevent damaging the frame.

All you really need to do is use snap caps for dry firing which eliminates the whole problem.

Here's a Colt Python view.
Note the sliding plate, part 16 that retains the firing pin. The plate is retained by the rear sight.
http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-colt-python.html

Here's a Colt King Cobra, which uses the same firing pin retention as the Mark III series, the Mark V series, the King Cobra, and the Anaconda.
Note the firing pin bushing part 43 that has to be pressed in and out. Try it with a punch and a hammer, and you can easily ruin the frame.
http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-colt-kingcobra.html

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2009 7:17:52 PM EDT by bear3351]
This is a Safe Queen, I still have not shot this baby,

Link Posted: 3/15/2009 2:47:02 AM EDT
That is a sweet wheel gun, bear3351! Makes me want to get one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:57:22 AM EDT
Do they make this, King Cobra, in blue? I should have said DID they make it in blue?
Tom
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 9:44:41 AM EDT
Yes, it was available in blue.
It was the first time in the industry that a new model of revolver was introduced in stainless steel FIRST, then followed later by a blued model.

The blue King Cobra was a fairly low production model, since most people wanted stainless.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 4:47:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By target17:
Do they make this, King Cobra, in blue? I should have said DID they make it in blue?
Tom

there are pics of 2 blued King Cobras in this post, a 4" in the 2nd post and my 6"
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:13:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JETWC:
Tom

there are pics of 2 blued King Cobras in this post, a 4" in the 2nd post and my 6"

Yes sir there sure are.

Tom

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:43:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
I think you have it backward.
The Python firing pin is an easy switch. Just remove the rear sight, press in the pin with a punch and the firing pin stop slides up, releasing the firing pin.
(NOTE: All the exploded views of the Python show the cone-shaped firing pin spring in BACKWARD. An early artist mistakenly drew it that way, and the drawing has been reproduced as-is.
The firing pin spring goes in with the WIDE end forward, and the small end over the firing pin tip).

It's the King Cobra that requires a special press to replace the firing pin.
There's a cross pin, but that's just to insure the firing pin bushing isn't pushed out accidentally.
If you attempt to drive the bushing out, or back in, the frame gets damaged.
Around the bushing is a very thin "skirt" of metal. When the bushing is pressed out, that skirt of thin metal flares out.
When the bushing with a new firing pin is re-installed, the bushing must be eased past the flared metal without breaking any off, or pushing it into the hole.
Once the new pin and bushing are pressed in place, a special staking tool is inserted down the barrel and used to rivet the skirt back in place,

Some people never even notice the skirt, or worse, just assume it's a burr and file it off.
To do the job right, you need a special press with special contoured press punches made to fit the cross pin and the bushing, and special support dies to prevent damaging the frame.

All you really need to do is use snap caps for dry firing which eliminates the whole problem.

Here's a Colt Python view.
Note the sliding plate, part 16 that retains the firing pin. The plate is retained by the rear sight.
http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-colt-python.html

Here's a Colt King Cobra, which uses the same firing pin retention as the Mark III series, the Mark V series, the King Cobra, and the Anaconda.
Note the firing pin bushing part 43 that has to be pressed in and out. Try it with a punch and a hammer, and you can easily ruin the frame.
http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-colt-kingcobra.html

Darris if you re-read that you will find I am talking about the Python tounge in cheek(oh yes thats the Python) not the King
Cobra! I learned this from you(had no problem getting rid of my Colt King Cobra) now have smiths with on hammer pins!

And Dan Wesson types with easy replaced fireing pins!

Bob

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:03:12 AM EDT
Just another reason not to allow dry firing of a weapon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:23:14 AM EDT
Sorry, I missed the implant in your cheek
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:52:28 AM EDT
My King Cobra is a sweet shooting SOB. I love it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:07:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dragongoddess:
Just another reason not to allow dry firing of a weapon.

Not true as some training manuals stress dry firing as a daily training(War Department Basic Field Manual FM 23-36)but
one should know there weapon before doing such.

Bob

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2009 9:51:03 AM EDT by target17]
To John575:
May I ask who makes the grips on the longest barrel in your pictures. I recently traded for a S&W 29-3 44 mag. and it has those grips. By the way you have some beautiful hand guns
Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:40:29 PM EDT
Its really a shame that Colt dropped the King Cobra from their production. I regret selling my 4" model last year to pay bills but hey we all gotta eat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:44:42 PM EDT
To John575:
May I ask who makes the grips on the longest barrel in your pictures. I recently traded for a S&W 29-3 44 mag. and it has those grips. By the way you have some beautiful hand guns
Thanks
Tom

I wish it was my picture. I would love to have them. I have no idea about the grips, sorry.
Top Top