Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 5:03:30 PM EDT
I have a nice customized Colt stainless Government Model Series 90 that I was trying to strip earlier unsuccessfully. I could never get the bushing to move far enough to allow the guide rod to clear. What's up with this? Do I need a bushing wrench to remove it or what?

I have a Springfield 1911A1 that is nothing like this. I can remove the bushing relatively easy with my bare hands. The 1991A1's guide rod seems to press in by itself, whereas the the new Colt has some sort of sleeve around the rod that pushes in while the rod itself remains in place. Anyone experienced this before?

I really like the gun and wanna carry it, but won't until I can get it cleaned and some lube put on it. I wish 1911 type pistols were as easy to strip as Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, etc. If they have a flaw, field stripping ease would be it. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the guide rod thing.  That may get in the way of this method:

When I had a Series 80 (with the MkIV type collet bushing) I just would push the slide back until the bushing was over the front hump on the barrel, then it turned just like a USGI one.  You had to fight the recoil spring a little more, but it was really easy to do.

I know dreadfully little about the series 90, but if it has a collet-type bushing (that's a bushing that's not solid everywhere, but has "fingers" in the back that hold the barrel.  Or in other words a normal bushing with slots in it.)  You'll either need the wrench or do it the above way.  The collet bushing locks onto the bulge on the end of the matching type barrel.  Some say it isn't as strong as a solid bushing, but they really do work for locking it up tight!

I don't know if you're guide rod will get in the way of my "cheat".  Barrel bushing wrenchs are dirt cheap, so you might as well get one anyway.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top