Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2005 11:37:30 PM EDT
Always wanted a Colt Gold Cup 45. Saw a few at the gun show for about $850 NIB blue and a little more for SS. Very nice but with black sights that really stink. The I found a SIG GSR in silvertone with rails and nice dot sights for about $950 NIB. Both feel good to hold with the SIG having more heft in the slide. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Plan on using the gun for target shooting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Like hobbs5624 said, there is a lack of holsters for the SIG because of its goofy slide profile.  That, coupled with the SIG's safety lock, would lead me to the Colt, between your two choices.

Link Posted: 11/19/2005 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I have considered an HK and a Kimber too. Shot both at the NRA range and while quite diffrent both very nice. Also tried out a Glock but was not warm and fuzzy on it. Kimber is $200-400 more than a Colt. My gunsmith is a Colt guy and I could get him to work it if I found something was not right. The HK Tactical was just about the best gun i ever shot but it is big and heavy. The compact HK 45 is not SA and does not have a match barrel. So today I am hard on the Colt and will go back to the gun show and see what gives. Any other recommendations always welcomed.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt Gold Cup over the Sig ANY day!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Got the Gold Cup. It is a thing of beauty. Chrome with mat top
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I've owned 2 Gold Cups and shot/fondled (er, inspected) a friend's GSR.  Sold the GC's for other things, not because I didn't like them.

GSR - good all around gun.  Very accurate, reliable, and well built.  Fit and finish are very good.  Holster choices are very limited.  Sig stopped making these guns due to some sort of production problem.  Hope they can sort them out.

GC - there are many versions of the GC out there.  I don't care for the Elliason rear sight on the older models.  Sharp edges, problematic roll pin.  But remember, this was intended to be a bullseye-type gun, not a carry/duty gun.  The GCs with the Accro and/or the Bomar are a much better choice.

Colt is building some incredible guns as of late.  Get the GC.  You'll like it.  Get it in blue.  If your FFL has more than 1 in stock, compare them to find the best one.  Also, do NOT completely disassemble the fire-control parts in the frame or you'll be searching for a itsy-bitsy spring.  Buy some Wilson combat mags, and shoot the snot out of it.  You'll like it.

SF

SVI .40 doublestack
LB PII w/ 1.5" guarantee
Colt SCG
Colt DE, custom
Colt LWC, custom
SA MilSpec, custom
Colt 1911 and AR15/M16 armorer
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me add to the dogpile:  Colt Gold Cup

I don't ever foresee any situation that would end up with me owning a GSR.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The GC's of late have questionable quality. My dealer has sent 2 back to Colt for problems before ever selling them. If you handle one you'll notice poor fit/finish, machine marks and general lack of quality. These are not the same guns from the 70's. i have a GC made in the early 70's blued that lookos and feels like glass, very nice. I have no idea of the Sigs, never handled one. I would try to sereriously consider another gun if i were you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Post a pic!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
colt
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
colt hands down!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
sorry extra click
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top