Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 9:46:41 PM EDT by OBird]
Opinions please - which is the better overall snubbie: A Colt Detective Special (any generation) or something from the S&W M36/60/etc. lineup? Craftsmanship, ergonomics, accuracy, concealability, weight, sights, etc., all considerations are welcome. Neither company is particularily politically friendly to our cause, so let's just ignore that part alltogether.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:51:56 AM EDT
Have owned both. Presently have the Colt. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Colt pros: six shots. all steel, always been rated for +p. Has the reputation of being more accurate
Colt cons: price tag, typically a third more than Smith, no longer in production.

Smith pros: Cheaper, still in production in a myriad of variations. slightly smaller, better selection of aftermarket stuff like holsters and grips. availible in stainless.
Smith cons: five shots, earlier guns not recommended for +p use.

Ergonomics is an individual thing, try both on for size. Craftmanship essentially equal, both good but both comapnies have put out a lemon or two. Sights basically the same. Concealability slightly, very slightly in favor of Smith. Colt is heavier by a good bit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:59:33 AM EDT
Colt hands down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:31:51 AM EDT
S&W without a doubt - the Colt's cylinder turns the wrong way and the cylinder latch opens the wrong way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:24:07 PM EDT
The answer is they're both "good" snubbies. Each has its good points.

The DS holds more rounds, and tends to have a nicer out of the box trigger. The S&W is noticeably smaller, and, if you opt for an airweight, CONSIDERABLY easier to carry concealed.

If I was looking for a compact wheelgun as a primary carry piece, and wanted to limit my options to .38, I'd probably look for a DS, since it has the extra round in the cylinder, and the extra weight/grip size makes it SLIGHTLY more "shootable," for me.

If I was looking for a backup gun to carry on the ankle or in the pocket all day, every day, I'd opt for an airweight j-frame... Currently I own both a 640 and a 642; the 642 goes with me everywhere, even in the pocket of my shorts when I'm out mowing the yard. The 640 is strictly a range gun, and a backup if anything should happen to put my 642 out of commission. I'm ALWAYS in the market for a nice DS, though...

Regards,

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:45:36 AM EDT
So how does the Agent stack up against the S&W 36?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:54:50 AM EDT
I have owned both steel frames (M60 Smith and Detective Spl) and alloy (M442 and Agent). As mentioned the Smiths are smaller and the 442 carries in a pocket the best. One thing I really liked about the Dick Spl was when I was carrying a K frame Smith my HKS Model 10 Speedloaders would work in both guns. Both can stand on their own merits.

CD
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:07:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:36:30 PM EDT
COLT
Top Top