Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 10/22/2004 7:03:46 AM EST
I think I've decided to buy a 3" 1911 (although until it's on my hip, anything could happen!). I'm wondering why I can find a NIB Colt Defender for $650, but I'm looking at a few hundred more for the same 3" lightweight model from SA or Kimber? Is there something the Defender DOESN'T HAVE that these others do? I've heard the reliability of the Defender is the best among the 3" 1911s (I know that's not necessarily saying much!), so what am I missing?

I can't get over the idea that 1911 = Colt. I know the other guys make good guns, but I'll always think of them as "clones".

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:07:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:44:03 PM EST
I JUST bought a SA Micro LW with night sights but haven't shot it yet. Their mainspring housing is beveled whereas Kimber is not & it cuts into my palm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:51:59 PM EST

I bought a SA GI micro couple months ago.

The thing was VERY accurate, but seemed to run a little rough,,,fte`s and ft go into battery every couple mags.
I shot 300 rounds and it never smooth out.

The brass ejection was erradic as has been reported and with me being a lefty, compounded the problem as at least once every other mag or so, I would take a case in the face.

As long as I had shooting glasses on it was no big deal, but if I ever had to use it for self defense, I would very likely put my own eye out!

Because of this I traded it in on a very slightly used Defender.
This was the best thing I have done in awhile because the differance in the two was night and day.

The Defender was slick and smooth compared to the micro.

Granted, They are two differant class grades, but still,,,,,,,,,,HUGE differance in how they ran.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:28:00 AM EST
I shot my Micro yesterday, range report in the handgun & Springfield forums.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:03:52 PM EST
If going Colt, I like the Officer's ACP over the Defender. No extensive details as to why, but I've fondled the Defender once and had the chance to shoot the Officer's ACP. Maybe the bias is that I shot one and not the other.

You could spend a bundle on a Baer Stinger, I doubt you'd be dissapointed.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top