Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT
Here are some pics of my latest build.  I posted pics before while it was a work in progress.  It's my neighbor's gun, and he did all the pimpalicious polishing.  It is a simple gun, but it turned out very nice.  I literally blinded myself momentraily looking at his thing outdoors.  It has the following work done to it:

-mill slide for and install Novak front and rear
-install Ed Brown beavertail
-install S&A beavertail
-install Ed Brown mainspring housing
-install Knighthawk Custom trigger
-trigger job set at 3 lbs.
-tune extractor and ejector
-polish feedramp, throat and polish barrel
-crown barrel muzzle
-beadblast pistol
-pimpalicious grade polish on slide and frame flats
-Ed Brown grip screws
-Wilson Combat tactical mag release
-Pachmayr extended slide release
-exhibition grade spalted maple grips from www.gripsandknives.com/

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful work.  Doubles as an emergency signalling device.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks you sir.  It's definitely not my type of gun, but it's really beautiful in person.  I wonder if my neighbor would just let me keep it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks very nice Hobbs.  What is one's fancy may not be anothers.  I think s it's a darn classy piece.  

What type of media did you use to blast it?  Or did you send it out?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but I thought a "BBQ Gun" was one that had been case hardened in the old way, giving a mottled look.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pimptastic!  Pimptiful!  Pimpfection!  and its shiny too!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice work Hobbs.  Great looking gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
That is very nice.

It really needs some ivory or stag though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is very nice.

It really needs some ivory or stag though.

Id go mammoth...that is purdy, Id be afraid to scratch it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but I thought a "BBQ Gun" was one that had been case hardened in the old way, giving a mottled look.

We have always refered to a BBQ gun as a gun for light duty social occasions such as a BBQ.  In other words, a purty gun that ain't gonna get beat up at the BBQ.

BBQ guns are cool
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks nice. I am not a shiny pistol guy but it looks nice and not realy pimped to me. Maybe that is why I like it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I Like It
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Hobbs with all of the fine 1911s you own and/or handle, let me know when you get tired of this one
that is one fine piece.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the kind words.  I blasted it at my friend's shop.  It's a combination of Brownells #60 - 100 and #270+ glass beads.  It's a 50/50 mix.  I agree Ivory would look good.  I have another Commander almost done with ivory on it, though it's probably going to be chromed.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#17]
John,  Great looking gun.  Those Grips are pimpin'.  If I didn't know any better I would say that gun belongs to the Archbishop Don "Magic" Juan.  You are an artist my friend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks my friend.  Wait 'til you see your gun though.  I think it will be the nicest looking gun I've ever built.  I'll post pics of your next weekend if I get the chance.  I'll be doing your beavertail, sights, etc. next weekend if all goes as planned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#19]
How was the polishing on the flats done?

I bought a SS Springfield Armory 1911, and I was wondering what the steps you took were.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Real purdy, for sure

Gotta like the reflection of you and your digi-cam in a couple of those pix....

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How was the polishing on the flats done?

I bought a SS Springfield Armory 1911, and I was wondering what the steps you took were.

Thanks.

Let me warn you, a finish like this shows scratches.  Most stainless guns have a brushed finish on the flats, bead blasted on the rounds.  Whenever your pistol goes into a holster or is handled with gloves or dirty hands, you're probably putting extremely small scratches in the finish.  However, the brushed finish is actually more coarse than the small scratches guns get everyday, even if you can see your reflection in the slide.  Due to the "coarseness" of factory finishes, you don't see the small scratches.  With a polish at this level, you will be constantly having to polish out small scratches.  

Here's what was done.  You need a sanding block, which you can get at any hardware or home improvement store.  You will also need a small supply of sanding paper.  You need to start with 400 or 600 grit, depending on how rough the machining is underneath.  You will need to go progressively finer, so you'll need 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper, which you can get at automotive paint shops.  Finally, you'll need the proper polish, and the ability to remove the grip screw bushings from the frame.

The grip screw bushings are staked in on Springfields.  To remove them, you can use a screwdriver if you're careful enough to keep the balde perfectly square to the bushing, but that's very hard to do.  Even so, it's highly possible that you will ruin the bushings.  You might as well just order new ones.  There are dedicated bushing bits, but you will still probably ruin the bushings.  Also, after you reinstall the bushings, you should at the very least loctite them, though I re-stake them.  

As for polish, here's the secret on this gun.  My neighbor used to have show bikes, with lots of polished billet, chrome, etc.  He used a product called Wenol.  I had used Simichrome, Flitz, and about a half dozen less known products, and until Wenol, Simichrome was the best for this type of finish.  Wenol is even better.  It comes in two grades in the U.S., red and blue.  Once you get the block sanding done, take some red Wenol and put it on the 2000 grit sandpaper.  This will bring out a high polish.  After that, use a soft non synthetic cloth with red Wenol, then blue.  Be careful not to hit the rounds.  That's it.  It takes around 40 hours of sanding/polishing to get to this level, if I had to take a guess.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks my friend.  Wait 'til you see your gun though.  I think it will be the nicest looking gun I've ever built.  I'll post pics of your next weekend if I get the chance.  I'll be doing your beavertail, sights, etc. next weekend if all goes as planned.

(with an Austin Powers....) YEAH, BABY!!   Cant wait to see pics of the work in progress, even the ones you don't post here.  I'm going to be getting some tri wing grips screws from brownells today which I'll get over to you when they come in along with the Hammer Strut and Pimp Grips.   Still waiting on my project gun from Impact.......still on backorder
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#23]
All I can say is don't lose that tri wing wrench.

ETA:  Who am I kidding?  Having that Springfield in hand, your Colt will be a safe queen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have always refered to a BBQ gun as a gun for light duty social occasions such as a BBQ.  In other words, a purty gun that ain't gonna get beat up at the BBQ.

BBQ guns are cool

+1
i like it
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All I can say is don't lose that tri wing wrench.

ETA:  Who am I kidding?  Having that Springfield in hand, your Colt will be a safe queen.

Gonna get a set for the springer as well, just doing it a little by little.  The colt is going to be my off-duty carry which will be shot at the range every so often to keep it limber.  The springer is going to be my learning curve gun that I hack up trying to learn how to smith a 1911. It will also get the shit shot our of it.  So the colt will be more like a princess than a safe queen.  but, the little tramp will still get used!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Adam, let me know when you get that Springer.  Bring it over and we'll hack on it.  It will be a nice excuse to have a barbeque and let our wive's meet.  I'll cut the sights for you, and you can do the rest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
BTW, my neighbor and I have you to thank for turning us on to those grips!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a plan
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
that thing is the shinitz. All that I can see that it needs is a pollished gold trigger and it will be P I M P. BTW i'm not kidding, i like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top